Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Switching to ethanok

864 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mrgold35 
#1 ·
I bought an 2011 Mdx with 175000 miles and I thinking of switching to ethanol E-85. What are you thoughts and will it cause problems later on. Is it a fact that you always have to use supreme 93 unleaded gasoline. Or can you use other grades?

#2 · (Edited)
I have only researched ethanol production for a few days and it seems relatively straight forward but there are a few areas of producing fuel for automobiles that concerns me. My plan is to use an unrefined sugar blend with distillers yeast and water for my wash, then acquire a Mile Hi 26 gallon still for producing 90-95% ethanol. Apparently, despite the relatively high proof yield a still of this caliber should be able to produce, unless the ethanol is Nox properly dried, I've read it will not suspend effectively in gasoline to create a stable blend of E85 (15% gasoline, 85% ethanol).

#3 ·
I don't think the 2nd Gen MDX can handle anything more than 15% ethanol? Sometimes, fuel companies add ethanol to get the octane level to the 93 level (sometimes you drop in mpgs because of the lower energy level of ethanol). You might need to upgrade everything from the gas tank to injectors and recalibrate the ECU to run on 85% ethanol. I think dual fuel vehicles have the ability to analyze and adjust engine performance using 100% gas to 85% ethanol and every % mix in-between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.