Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm now on 4 Infinity 652i and a bit of Dynamat here and there. No other changes.

This is MUCH BETTER than stock, but I'm still not entirely happy. I can't quite analyze out the issue, but I think it's now too much bass.

I've read all the threads, including some suggestions for installing capacitors (a.k.a "Bass Limiters") inline with the new door speakers, and/or an L-Pad in the stock subwoofer.

So, two questions:

1. If you're at the same point, that is 4xInfinity but no other changes, are you happy?

2. If you've done caps, limiters, etc., what specifically and with what results?

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi there. I too was consdidering changing the stock speakers in the Acura Bose system and was told that there was not enough power to run the system and that I probably wouldn't be happy with the system. I was told about Soundgate. They make a unit that you can add to the existing head unit which enables you to add an amp (ie gives you RCA outs). You might want to check it out. www.soundgate.com Look for the LOCB. This is apparently the one that our head unit requires. I'm still in the process of researching this topic, so I haven't done anything yet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you running these speakers off the stock headunit and amp? If so, there lies your problem. The output from the factory system is greatly lacking in power, and the 1 ohm impedance of the system could actually make aftermarket speakers sound worse than stock unless amplified by an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys, but as stated in my original post, there is no question that Infinity 652i running on a stock head unit is much better than the stock speakers. When installing, I did one side Infinity and one side stock, sat there with a bunch of CDs running the balance back & forth... dramatic improvement. Even my wife, who is literally hard of hearing (no joke, a real physical problem) immediately commented on the dramatic improvement.

There's lots of approaches to improvement. While it's possible that speakers are step 1 and speaker+amp are step 2, I'm still curious about my original questions:

1. Those with Stock Head Unit + Infinity 652i, are you completely happy? Do you feel you need to do more?

2. Tried anything else? Bass blockers, L-Pad in the sub, etc?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Daniel...

With "sound" being purely subjective, I can only tell you what I have found to work best for me, after my 'upgrade'.

Prior to the 'upgrade', I had the bass & treble turned up all the way and, the 'fade' set in the center. Since the 'upgrade' I've had to turn the bass and treble down several notches and, I've set the 'fade' up 3-4 settings (to put more sound to the front of the cabin...) in order to get rid of all the booming bass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charlie,

I agree, I did a bunch of playing around with tone & fade. I ended up very close to what you describe... I ended up a few clicks down on Bass, about 1 click down on Treble, and a click or two fade to the front.

This is very different from my preferences when the stock speakers were in.

While these adjustments help....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I tried "bass blockers"

I obtained 4 "Bass Blockers" at my local Circuit City, for $12 a pair. You have to ask for them in the install shop. These can be ordered for much less, about $5-6 per pair. The ones I bought are rated to block below 200Hz when wired to a 4ohm speaker (the Infinity 652i is nominally 4ohm).

Note that these are really non-polarized Electrolytic capacitors, 199Mfd, 100W. You may be able to find these even cheaper as an electronic component.

I used two per speaker, the two caps wired in parallel. This lowers the block frequency to 100hz. Note that I chose to use two based on some very limited testing with one installed on a front speaker (balance/fade rolled all the way to that speaker) vs. two. These brief tests convinced me that one (200hz block) removed too much bass, but two in parallel (100hz block) removed the "boom" without affecting the music much if at all...

I soldered each two cap assembly into the wiring harness adapters, in the "positive" lead. This allows me to remove them, if I don't like them, for the cost of a new set of harness adapters.

I put them on the front speakers only. They do tame the boom. I'm now running with Bass tone control flat, Treble 1 click down or up depending on the music, and fader about 2 clicks to the front. (refer to above post for setting prior to the blockers)

This is an improvement. I've driven it for one day like this. I'm going to drive for several more days to eval, but already feel that I'll install a single cap (200hz block) on the rears...

Danal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ckt City here in Frisco?

Danal,

Did you use the Circuit City here in Frisco? How were they? Did you look at audio equipment at Tweeter, Car Toys, and/or Best Buy?

We just got our MDX Wed. night (base model) and I informed the wife that serious sound system enhancements must be made. Spent much of last night combing this site just on this topic.

-Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the Circuit City in Frisco, just on Preston just North of 121.

Did check Best Buy first, also checked Fry's (in South Arlington). Didn't find appropriate Infinity at either.

Did not check Car Toys or Tweeter in advance of speaker purchase.

I found the Circuit City OK. People in the Car shop were friendly. They commented that several customers had been in for that particular speaker for an MDX and "Is there a webring or something?" I told them about this site. They were very nice about my purchase and later swap of some pioneer speakers, etc. They did not seem to have deep knowledge, but also did not say anything 'wrong' or try to mis-lead and/or steer me to something I didn't want.

Overall, OK.

No doubt you can Internet order things a tiny bit cheaper, but I was willing to pay the few extra $$ to not wait.

Danal

P.S. I did check out Car Toys later, as I am considering an aftermarked Navi. Given Car Toys radio ads, their name, etc. I almost never set foot in their store... I thought they were "trash audio" only, along the lines of a bazillion watt amp but cheap speakers and pushy salespeople. My one trip to the Preston road store opened my eyes to their broad selection of products, including some relatively high end (they had 4 different nav systems set up for demo) and I liked the staff...

I will check them, and others, quite a bit more before deciding, but CT is currently a possibility for purchase & install of a Navi, different head unit, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ckt City

Thanks Danal. I stopped by there today on the way home and the sales guy said the something similar the effect of "A lot of MDX owners have come in here for speaker upgrades."

I am thinking about getting the 10" Kenwood woofer they have on sale for $89.99 and "buy one get one free" deal. Guess I'll sell the second one on eBay.

I did hit the Tweeter store the other day. They wanted to set me up with a $2K system. I kept trying to get them down a few notches, but the sales person seemed reluctant to show me lower priced amps, etc... They don't carry Infinity. Their primary line is JL Audio.

I'll check out the Car Toys store to see what they have to offer, as well as Best Buy. But I'll probably end up having Ckt City replace the 4 door speakers with 652Is.

Did you have them replace the tweeters?

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is an improvement. I've driven it for one day like this. I'm going to drive for several more days to eval, but already feel that I'll install a single cap (200hz block) on the rears...

Danal

How have the Bass Blockers been working out? Have you installed the single on the rears?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jediwebdude:

Still running stock tweeters.

wpf:

Still driving with 4xInfinity 652i, bass blockers on front only. I still intend to do bass blockers on rear door, just haven't had time. This combination is pretty good, clearly better than factory touring/bose system. An indicator of my satisfaction: I swapped factory for Infinity about 3-4 days after I bought the car... Bass blockers about 4 days later, and I've now made no changes for about 4 weeks.

Danal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Danal,
I just changed speakers today w/Infinity 652i X 4, with all 4 sq.ft. of dynamat (lined the insides of the doors as best as poss.)
In my case, I have the base model system and it definity made an improvment, happy w/the mid-highs,but low freqs. are still muddy sounding and now over emphisized w/the 625's, Im changing the rear sub and adding an amp as soon as i figure out what sub-woofer to use and most likely will add a LC network to the door spkrs.(inductor capacitor network gives 6 or 12 db/oct. rolloff which supposed to be smoother sounding than just a capacitor filter?) and cut freqs below 120 hz. if im still not satisified, i"ll probubly just have to add amps to the 625's, just what i was trying to avoid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts