Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently I drove a Sage Green 2004 MDX Tour with Entertainment. The truck still drove solid, but 14 Pennsylvania winters had taken their toll. The final straw for me was when a front brake line broke loose from a corroded crimp on the front left. That loss of braking, combined with significant rust of the frame by the hitch and a leaking steering rack, convinced me the time had come to move on.

The first day I started looking I found a CPO '16 Advance with Entertainment with 42K miles at a local dealer. After driving it, I pretty much knew I would try to get the car. Still, I felt obligated to look at a few other cars before putting up an offer. In one morning I looked at a Highlander, a Q7, a C9, an XC90, and a Pilot. There were a lot of points that brought me back to the MDX. I won't go into details about each, but if you have questions let me know. The only one I'll mention quickly is the Pilot. I drove a loaded Pilot Elite. My problem with the Pilot was that I could not come to terms with the seat. I found it very uncomfortable. My back was hurting within a few miles. Over time, maybe I could have adjusted it just the right way, but I wasn't willing to take that chance. Also, the price put it significantly above what I thought I could buy the MDX for. I will say that the new Garmin based Nav in the Pilot kills the current Acura infotainment system. (My wife drives a '15 TLX Tech so I am very familiar with the 2 screen system).

I've now put another 1,000 miles on the MDX. In short, it is very, very good car. Lot's of people wonder about the 9 speed tranny and I can report that this example, with 42K miles, is very smooth. More so than a new model I drove. Also, the interior still looks almost perfect. The only wear that is noticeable is a small indent on the door where the driver rests his/her elbow and some scratches on the fake wood sliding cover on the center console. Compared to the 1st gen with it's lack of slope on the sides and rear hatch, the cargo space is definitely less user friendly on the 3rd gen.

Already too long of a post, but I'll be sure to report back on how this somewhat higher mileage 3rd gen is holding up over time. Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats! I'm curious what price you got it for if you don't mind me asking. We recently got the same car with same mileage but in a 2015 for 32k from a private seller out the door with a 100k extended warranty and I always like to see how they compare to the CPO deals

I've driven some other suvs and I agree the feeling of the seat is so key! Glad you got one you liked!! We love our MDX too

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your new ride! I paid right around $38K for mine with the installed tow hitch and all weather mats. Seems about right in line with yours, given your extra year of depreciation. I also got a decent deal on the trade (how often do you hear that?).

What color did you get? Mine is graphite luster. Not the color I would have chosen if I had gone new, but you get what you get!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got a 2016 MDX, test drove it, thought it was great. Now after driving it around for a few days the car is very jerky in city driving! Trying to avoid buyers remorse I came across this forum and saw that there's an update that needs to be applied. I have my MDX scheduled for a service so I'm praying and hoping to god that the update will smooth out the transmission. I get car sick just driving it around the block and back. How did Acura first release this engine out to the public? Its as if there wasn't any QA done on the car before it was released.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely take it to the dealer and see what they say. I can definitely feel mine shifting, but I wouldn't call it jerky (mine has over 40,000 miles). The thing to remember about this car is that it is rapidly going through 3 or 4 gear changes as you get up to even city driving speeds. If most or all of our driving is in town, I could see this getting tiresome. I have found that a little bit of aggressiveness on the throttle helps smooth out the 0-30 mph ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you know if you already had tsb 15-054 applied to your MDX? I bought it from a private party sale so I don't know if the tsb is already applied. I hope not because I need this tranny to smooth out as I do mostly city driving. I test drove a 2017 and fell in love with it but the dealer was asking for too much. I found a used 2016 with low miles thinking it would be the same. I was wrong. I'm going to the dealer soon so I'll update if they do anything to make it better. If there's no solution then this MDX is going back on the market and I will never buy Acura again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if mine has the new software. It would be good to know, but I wouldn't do the update even if it was the old software.

Your '16 should not drive differently from the '17. Let us know how the update works for you. Your next post will help a lot of people decide if this is the right car for them to buy. Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got back from the dealer and they applied tsb 15-054 and idle relearn. It does drive a lot smoother in stop and go traffic and is 'tolerable' now, but I cannot say this feels like luxury to me. There's still a bit of rough shifts and a tiny little surge or downshift while coming to a stop. Maybe it still has to go through the idle relearn process. We'll see, I'll update in a week or two. I remember purchasing a '88 Toyota Tercel back in high school for $1k and was the worse car purchase I made till this date. This one is right up there considering the amount that was paid.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, sorry to hear. A lot of us have great shifting MDXes that we like a lot, but it sounds like you have a bad one or this is just not the right car for you. Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm. I have a really smooth 2016 but i drive in sport. I wonder if that makes a difference. I am pretty much a lead foot though, but the transmission seems to like that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
So are you saying that you have to put the MDX in sport mode to have a good experience? How is your MDX in comfort and normal mode in stop and go traffic? The transmission is very smooth when you get past 25-30MPH but I tense up when I start to see city traffic approaching. :frown2:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
So are you saying that you have to put the MDX in sport mode to have a good experience? How is your MDX in comfort and normal mode in stop and go traffic? The transmission is very smooth when you get past 25-30MPH but I tense up when I start to see city traffic approaching. :frown2:
More about matching your driving style to an ids mode than the mode itself. For example, if you prefer more gusto but drive in comfort, you will likely mash the pedal, causing a multi gear shift and a clunk from the dog gear transition.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Researching a bit more has led me to do an ECU reset after TSB 15-054 was applied. After the ECU reset the tranny became A LOT smoother after some driving around and is better to my liking. I can say that I feel a bit more confident in my purchase and starting to actually like my 2016 MDX.

To do an ECU reset:

1. Hit the start/stop button without pressing the brake pedal to enter accessory mode.
2. Hold the pedal to the floor for 30-35 seconds.
3. Hit the start/stop button without pressing the brake pedal again to turn the car On but do not start the engine.
4. Hit the start/top button again to turn the car off.
5. Press the brake pedal and hit the start/stop button to start the engine.

After this the computer will wipe out any driving characteristics that was held in memory and hopefully settled my transmission down. I don't know if this is real or not but it sure does feel better. Did anyone do this before? Is this something that has to be done often if the ECU learns bad habits?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts