Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not just any SUV or car. There are only two in the running:

Acura MDX vs. Infiniti G35

I'm torn between the two....feel free to weigh in on the differences.

MDX can haul 7. So when in-laws visit, for example, we can take one vehicle to the Chili's. MDX can haul stuff home from the Home Depot. Drives great. Very safe (got kids 6 years and 6 months old). Muscular SUV look. Ride high. Can handle the elements - hard rain, icy conditions, snow. Cost approx. $41 loaded with nav. and all the trimings.

G35 has awesome 260 hp engine with great performance. Only seats 5. Pretty roomy for mid-size car. Good trunk space for its class. Looks awesome - someone finally made a reasonably priced sedan look outstanding. Interior a little plusher (that could be debated based on personal taste). Ride lower - looking up at the big SUVs. Cost approx. $35 loaded w nav.

The kicker is our second vehicle is a small car ( 95 G-20 - don't let the G fool you the G-35 is much more car). So my wife says "we don't need two small cars." The G35 isn't small but it isn't riding high like an SUV. She feels safer in the MDX but G35 has some great safety features and did well on crash test (on a sister model in Japan).

If I throw out rationality I go with the car. I save money as well....

But, after the alure of the new car wears off might be better off with the MDX as far as what I can do with it.

Plan B is go with the car and trade the old car in (plus $$$) for a used SUV with 50K miles on it. Part of the savings between MDX price and G35 will help out here.

Or....go with the MDX and get the G35 in a few years when the old car has had it.::confused: :p

Or if this insanity completely grips me get them both, eat tuna fish, stop 401k contributions and frequent garage sales......

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would go for the 'complete insanity' option - tuna fish aint so bad!

The G35 seems like a great car (but not as good as my 02 TL-S) and the MDX is a super SUV (even the base model like mine). It's a tough choice, so go for broke (literally) and get 'em both!

Trade the G20 on (or sell it and apply the proceeds to the purchase of) the G35 (or get the TL-S!)

Get the MDX base model and give to your wife for everyday driving.

You will have everything that way! Good Luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Get Both! Actually, I understand your dilemma, as would other posters here. I have a '99 TL and an '02 X, and quite frankly, I love driving both. The X is my wife's car, but I usually get it on weekends. During the week, I get the fun of all the power and sports feel of the TL, and then on weekends, the X just rides so great for it's size, it's unbelievable.

When I say get both, I mean as an alternative, you could lease them both and save on the monthly payments. That is what we do. I know some don't agree with leasing, but if we didn't lease, we wouldn't have two great automobiles.

If that is not an option, get the X. You do already have a car, so the X gives you two options when going somewhere. We love the flexibility offered from the X. Because it can seat up to seven people, when we want to go somewhere with the grandparents, we can all fit in one car. We are also big football fans, so for tailgating the X is awesome. We don't take the kids to games with us, so we can load up the back with the canopy, grill, chairs, etc, etc, something we couldn't do with our car.

Then in a couple of years, get the new car, only make it a TL :D . Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I can get the MDX and trade the car for a good performing car (like the TL that seems to be well liked) with a little age. I know the TL's hold their value so I am not sure how many miles and what year about 18 grand would get me.

Leasing is one option...but my wife is a stay at home mom and we put 12K per year on one vehicle and about 6K on another. So probably cost too much for only 6K per year of use. And in Dallas they are still sticking people with $1000 property tax bill at year end!

Can't get my mind off this though.....

http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/06/0506test.html :

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
If crashworthiness is an issue to you, I'd wait until the G35 gets tested by American agencies (NHTSA and IIHS).

Infiniti/Nissan hasn't yet proven it can consistently build vehicles with high degrees of crashworthiness. Even the new Altima, while "Good" in IIHS, isn't a Best Pick and, without side airbags, is a 3-star performer for the driver in the NHTSA side-impact test.

As far as safety goes, the G35 should beat the MDX at most types of accident avoidance. Better emergency handling, stability control, etc. However, it doesn't have AWD either, so that hurts too. The MDX is a bigger, heavier, higher-riding vehicle and that'll make a difference in an actual crash.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The G35 has got side curtain airbags - front and rear.....but the MDX is rated about as high as can be...except braking and quick avoidance in the car and the rollover risk could offset that a bit. I have an SUV now and I do feel safer being up high. The G35 is the Nissan Skyline in Japan and there is a pretty extensive website that shows the crash test results. It did exceptional for its class. I won't decide on safety alone - both would be decent compared to cars built just a few years ago. But if I get the car I will need a big SUV for bad weather days (car is rear wheel drive).:1: :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you were replacing your G20, I'd say go with the G35 (or something comparable like TL-S, 330i). Since you already have a smallish 4-door sedan, it's a no brainer . . . . Go with the X.

I had two 4 door sedans and traded one in just because I wanted one car that could haul the kiddies, in laws, and make Home Depot runs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm with MrPrescott...after getting my first SUV way back in 1989 (after varies 2/4 door combo's) I can't imagine life w/o at least one SUV in the Family...The utility for hauling people & Stuff (as well as I prefer the high ride) is just so great I'll never be without at least one (now both the wife and I have one since we fought over mine). The MDX has enough luxury/sport to fulfill any dream I'd have of a Luxury Sedan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Saw the G35 at Infinity dealership. Looks impressive. It's gotten good reviews and looks like a fun car to drive. I plan to test drive it .

Two things I didn't like: 1) look of the rear end. 2) Perforated leather (altho, I'm tolerating it in our MDX)

Also, saw the I35....about same price, but more luxurious...better leather...Alto, not as sporty as the G35. I plan to test drive this one too.

After dealing with numerous Acura dealers, it's refreshing to be treated with some respect by Infinity. Overall, MUCH more class and less [email protected]@@@..... I also believe they are rated highly in terms of care for the consumer as Lexus is. Acura has alot to learn before being considered in the same level of class as Lexus or Infinity.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MARFONG said:
Saw the G35 at Infinity dealership. Looks impressive. It's gotten good reviews and looks like a fun car to drive. I plan to test drive it .

Two things I didn't like: 1) look of the rear end. 2) Perforated leather (altho, I'm tolerating it in our MDX)

Also, saw the I35....about same price, but more luxurious...better leather...Alto, not as sporty as the G35. I plan to test drive this one too.

After dealing with numerous Acura dealers, it's refreshing to be treated with some respect by Infinity. Overall, MUCH more class and less [email protected]@@@..... I also believe they are rated highly in terms of care for the consumer as Lexus is. Acura has alot to learn before being considered in the same level of class as Lexus or Infinity.
What dealer do you go to MARFONG?
Just curious because you are not too far from Hopkins, and they certainly seem to treat customers well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The local Lexus dealer here has the attitude that is best described as "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!" and they never, never want to discuss anything other than MSRP or higher. What color you want is about the only issue!

The local Infiniti dealer is like going into a Hyndai dealership.

Palm Beach Acura treats customers with respect, no pressure, honest to a fault, and a pleasure to deal with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
TPRENDER,

Have you taken both vehicles for a thorough test drive. I know that I considered lots of cars based on looks and reviews, but driving brought me back to reality. I started off wanting a wagon and not an SUV. I have rented Explorerers and Expeditions and knew I didn't want one of them. I drove the BMW, the Audi, the Saab, the Volvo, an RX300, and the MDX. After the test drives, it was no contest--I bought an X.

Let your feelings based on your test drives make your decision.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was looking at getting an MDX but decided I didn't need it. My wife thought we needed an SUV so we looked at a few. We have no pets, kids, or items we need to haul so it ended up being a pretty easy decision. We went with a GS300.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's all in the mentality at first... you either want to compete with the others at the street light at how fast your car's engine will pick up your mad rush jolting the gas pedal to the ground... or you will be ABOVE it (well, the height clearance helps alot); yet, still be willing to drag race most sedans - I just love the expression on BMW 525's owner's face in my rear view mirror... :2:

This is my first SUV, maybe not 100% true off-roader, but who needs it... I love driving my MDX in the rain (the heavier the better...), drive thru East Canal Street of NYC at 30 mph and not worrying about loosing car's body parts (who needs off-roads, just take on that piece of road whoever dares!), and very smooth and comfortable ride at that! Tested only in the light snow, so can't speak from my own experience too much, but it definetely felt much surer going thru the hazards.

If you not sure (but can afford to), get both!!!! :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
why not get a pilot, then maybe in a year+ u could get the G35. If u look hard enuff, u should be able to find a Honda dealer selling at MSRP. OR

If u can afford it, I would go with G35, and a used Tahoe. The tahoe's are dime a dozen(especially in Tx), plenty coming off leases, and the banks/dealers are desparate to get rid of them. U could probably get one cheap- get to haul the kids and stuff, and Fly like a muthha in the G35!

ur right the G35 is an AWESOME car, and it is in no way related to the G20(expect for the Infiniti badge). 260HP/260 lb-ft of torque, Nissan's legendary V-6, rwd, and skyline heritage. OMG!-- I think i am going to testdrive this wknd just for fun. I can't wait for the G35 coupe with 6-spd.:eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for great feedback! I have driven both vehicles. They are both great at what they are intended for. That is what makes it a tough call.

One thing is for sure - I won't end up with two sedans. I like being able to deal with bad weather, I like being able to haul lots of people and stuff if called upon and like riding up high....so an SUV is a must.

After a lot of research (mostly on good ole Edmunds)....It will probably be get the MDX and keep the paid-off G20. I've looked into the G35 and some second hand SUV. The problem with that is I can't get a cheap stripped afordable domestic model. My wife still wants leather and all the trimings and we are back to needing the 3rd seat. I will never touch GM (due to my first car being a complete junker Chevy Cavalier... so Suburban, Tahoe etc. are out) and the Durango's have poor crash test results. Can't trust Isuzu mechanically. Left with Expedition Eddie Bauer and Montero Limited. That is at least 20 to 25 grand easily for anything with reasonable miles. Just can't add that hearty a payment as second-car.

Looks like my MDX decision is a good one. Just wish I didn't have to wait 150 days to get one....Also, 2003 has got to offer better colors for the saddle leather (hoping for a dark green like in 2001 MDX).

Oh, yeah and if I can catch some decent raises in the next few years, I can get that G35 (and it won't be first year model with the issues that result from that by then)!:p

·
Registered
671 Posts
You won't regret the decision - the MDX is a truly fine vehicle. In fact, I got mine for my wife and I can't seem to part with it even though she's driving 'my' TL-S!

I drive it every day - handles like a luxury car but has the space that I was missing while I drove the TL, now I've basically got a TL that sits higher and carries more! (althought the TL Type S is a veritible rocket compared to the MDX)

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's funny: we had nearly the same dilemna. We initially wanted to get a G35 after having researched it and driven it; my wife thought she wanted something more fun to drive to replace our '97 Grand Cherokee. Then, after having multiple bad experiences at different Infiniti dealers (long story), my wife soured on the G35 and we started thinking about others. Eventually, we decided that we would miss the space of our SUV and were sold on the MDX.

As far as sports sedans go, there is no better "value" currently than the G35 (IMO). The car can really move, handles well, and costs significantly less $$ than the BMW 3-series which charges you for every tiny option you add. If money was no object, I'd probably have bought the 330i, but it tops $40k if you load it up. As much as I like Honda/Acura products (we have 2 of 'em now), I don't the TL-S can measure up to the G35 from a pure driving standpoint simply because it is a FWD car. This probably won't be a popular opinion here ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
One year ago my wife and I wanted two things in a vehicle(s), a
fun to drive work horse and a sporty performance machine. We
had never owned an Acura but extensive research took us to the
MDX and after 12 months of ownership it turned out to be the best decision, car wise, that we have ever made. The 'X' has been absolutely perfect in every respect and unlike another post in this thread we found the dealer to be exceptional - especially in the treatment we received on scheduled maintenance visits. It is unfair to paint Acura dealers with the broad brush as being the enemy. Like with all makes, there are good ones and bad ones. In any event the MDX surpasses all of our high expectations so it was logical for us to look at another Acura when we decided to add a performance car just recently. Again, after much evaluating we purchased the 2003 CL type S. I can understand the high praise given the CL's stable mate, the TL-S, by their owners. The CL-S isn't only a thrill to drive but possesses the safety features that we sought including VSA (something I look forward to in future MDX models). I have read compliments about the G-35 on other Acura forums. If it is superior to the TLs and CLs then it must be a world beater. Car and Driver magazine isn't necessarily the last word in automotive testing but I found their comparo in the July issue of the CL-S and 330Ci to be very revealing. Everyone will have differences of opinion with them on the details of their conclusions but when the overall results are within an eyelash between these two fine vehicles (one costing
7K more than the other) I believe that Acura is a force to be reckoned with. By the way, the fact that the CL was equipped with front-wheel drive turned out to be a non-issue with these hard core rear drive proponents from C&D. It equaled the Bimmer in score on "Handling" and I quote, "The Acura CL is simply the finest-handling front-drive road car we have ever tested" and "World-class quality, dazzling engine, the best front-drive system anywhere, any time, bar none."
One year from now, if our new CL-S has shown reliability and
quality on a par with the MDX I will be an Acura enthusiast of the
highest order. I already know how this rocket drives...whoooeee!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
If there's an eyelash difference between the bimmer and the Acura, the Acura is still ahead. It will have equal if not better reilability, lower insurance costs, all and all will certainly be 'cheap to keep' in comparison.
The only thing left for the bimmer is 'status' which won't buy you a cup of coffee. Certainly not Starbucks! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts