Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't find anything on this so I thought I would post a new thread.

Has anyone thought about or done any upgrades to improve the MDX's handling? 18" wheels would be one thought - how about stiffer shocks, springs, etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
the whee's with the wider tires would increase your grip but in terms of suspension i wouldn't really fool around with acura's set up it's pretty stiff as is, and very fined tuned so i wouldn't even consider it. In comparison to any other SUV besides the X5 the MDX has one of the stiffist suspensions that give it such a great steering response and such great handling for a vehicle of it's size and weight.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't consider the MDX to be a great handling vehicle. It's certainly acceptable, but it has more body roll than I would like. I realize that it won't be a Porsche 911, just would like to tighten it up a little bit to get closer to X5 handlling. Maybe it's not feasible or cost effective; just throwing the question out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mark,

A good way to reduce some of the body roll is to upgrade the Anti-Sway bars.. The stock ones are usually hallow and are not as strong as some aftermarket ones which are solid.. this should improve cornering.. if there are actually any available, that I don't know..
Stiffer shocks would be good, but a bit expensive..

Also, wider, grippier tires wouldn't hurt either on stock wheels..

I believe stock is 235/65TR17 on 17x6.5 wheels
You'll maybe might be able to get away with 255/60/17 but it would really really be pushing it..
I dunno why did they give only a 6.5 wide wheel??

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right on the wheel width - 6.5 inches. That's pretty narrow. The narrower wheel will cut through snow better though, and will get better gas mileage.

What I might eventually do is use the 6.5's for snow and get a separate wheel/tire combo for the summer.

By way of contrast, the stock rear wheels on my 540i are 9" wide, fronts are 8" wide. Different animal, I know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Markedoc
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing