Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 MDX that I took in for the timing belt. They did some work on the front suspension, parts were worn out and making a "clunk" when going over bumps.

Fixes were fine and it is a great garage. But afterwards we have noticed that the car does not feel a smooth especially over bumps. Suspension feels "hard" or "harsh" and kind of jerks us around in the cab.

A noticeable bang or bump in the back any time we hit a bump which feels like there is no spring back there (similar to a bottom out) and the car really jerks if that happens. Like you feel every little bump.

Did my garage forget to hook up the suspension system after service? If so, any suggestions on where to look for a vacuum hose or a electrical connection (fuse?). It has a switch for "sport" and "comfort" for the suspension and I don't feel any difference.

Too bad b/c we used to comment about how comfortable the ride was.

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
First, do you have a comfort button near the gear selector? Second does the bump or bang come from the front when you go over a speed bump or rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it has a comfort button. Doesn't make any difference in my opinion. I didn't change it before.

I notice it more from the rear not the front.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I suspect your rear shocks may be leaking as well. Sadly this is a well known issue from these mdxs with the adaptive suspension especially since you’ve fixed the front already and it’s coming from the rear now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front was just having the links replaced since they were making a noticeable clunk. On inspection the fronts were fine. Ill double check the rear.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've had both my fronts (@35K) and rears (@107K) ADS struts and shocks replaced on my 11 MDX Adv and never had what you are describing. I pretty much had zero issues or needed a break-in period with the replacement ADS parts. I also had to replace a worn endlink because of a torn boot when I did my front ADS. Both the endlink and front ADS was causing a clunking sound with suspension travel at low speeds.

I needed about +500 miles when I upgraded my 06 TSX to A-Spec suspension to smooth out the ride. The TSX Aspec was really hard and brutal before it settled down to normal levels.

Did they replace with ADS or convert to normal suspension like you find on the base and tech MDX?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had both my fronts (@35K) and rears (@107K) ADS struts and shocks replaced on my 11 MDX Adv and never had what you are describing. I pretty much had zero issues or needed a break-in period with the replacement ADS parts. I also had to replace a worn endlink because of a torn boot when I did my front ADS. Both the endlink and front ADS was causing a clunking sound with suspension travel at low speeds.

I needed about +500 miles when I upgraded my 06 TSX to A-Spec suspension to smooth out the ride. The TSX Aspec was really hard and brutal before it settled down to normal levels.

Did they replace with ADS or convert to normal suspension like you find on the base and tech MDX?
Hey just wondering whether you keep your ads on comfort or sport? Mine leak to quick and I don’t know why, maybe because I’m in Canada and it’s colder idk?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've always kept them in Sports mode. I purchased my MDX used with 30,000 miles back in 2014 and I now have +137,000 miles. The suspension isn't as tight as before and I think it is because of the fronts being +100,000 miles old (just 30k on my 2nd set of rears). No leaking, clunking, or sagging (yet).

Live in the southwest with +95 degree heat in summer with triple digits a few weeks. Winters are dry and range in the mid 20s-30s mostly for morning lows and maybe low teens for a few week in winter.

Still planning to keep my 11 MDX for a few more years. Will wait until failure to convert to regular or replace with ADS down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is the struts! Pasinger side rear strut is covered with oil. Driver side looks like new. Wow, can believe my garage missed that opportunity. Any suggestions on replacements?

·
Registered
570 Posts
2007 - 2013 MDX ADS to non-ADS parts list and suppliers:

mouser dot com
front 2 ea. 5 ohm 71-cp00105r000je14 resistors

rear 2 ea. 2 ohm 71-cp00102r000ke14 resistors

Any Acura oem online discount parts supplier:
front left assy 51601-stx-a06

front right assy 51602-stx-a06

Rockauto dot com
2ea rear KYB shocks #349025