Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MDX 2014 SH-AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MDXERS, hope I could get some advice from others from this group that could’ve been in this situation before, I have a 2014 MDX SHAWD, I was hearing clunking sounds whenever I pass bumps or whatever imperfection on the road so I went to my mechanic and he told me that my right strut was leaking a lot and that also the bushings in both lower control arms were bad and cracked but that my strut mounts were ok. So i bought the parts from oemacuraparts (Both front struts and both lower control arms (because you cant just replace the bushing apparently or I couldn’t find that part anywhere…)), they where installed and it rides A LOT better… BUT the clunking is still there, maybe it was reduced like 80% by the parts that my mechanic installed, I also did the mandatory allignment, so my question is… I absolutely should have changed the strut mounts even though my mechanic said they were fine or the clunking could be from some other component? The stabilizer bars or other bushing maybe?? Someone here that experienced something similar to this that could offer me some advice?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
379 Posts
My 2015 goes in tomorrow for front lower control arms, and rear shocks and coils. Had the sway bar links replaced last month. Not sure what all else they will find tomorrow when everything is apart. Trying to chase down clunking too.

I’ve had both the front and rear shocks replaced already once and neither time needed new mounts.

Not sure if any of this helps, other than to say you’re not the only one looking to resolve the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Luckily I have had no clunking yet on my 2014 (83K miles) but there are multiple things that can cause clunking sounds and it simply needs to be troubleshot to avoid firing costly parts hoping to fix the issue. In your case it sounds as if the struts needed replacement regardless, so you didn't waste money/time on those, and maybe you actually had multiple clunks.

I think the mechanic that did your work should take it on a test drive to replicate the problem and narrow down the issue - knowing that he already replaced a number of components that could've bene the issue.

It might even be due to just something loose, either from before the work or due to his work.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had clunking in the rear of my 17, but the rear struts were replaced while car was under warranty. There was a factory service bulletin about this problem. I don't know what years it encompasses, but if you're out of warranty, you're likely to have to pay. You might be able to obtain a discount on the job from the dealer if you play your cards right. More bad news - I found NO aftermarket struts for my 17. Had been considering trying aftermarket dampers to smooth out the ride over rough roads, but found nothing out there.

·
Registered
MDX 2014 SH-AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So yesterday I changed the sway bar bushings (OEM, the old ones weren't that bad but $6 a piece is super cheap) and also the sway bar links (MOOG, the original ones i took out were completely torn open and loose) but after a test drive unfortunately the clunking is still there... honestly it sounds like if something is loose around the passenger/central area of the front end of the MDX, while driving at highway speeds (70 mph) it doesn't make any sound whatsoever but at city driving with speed bumps, potholes or whatever it sounds considerable bad, I don't know what else could be, any other suggestions? :confused:

Other strange thing, if I go over a speed bump only with the left wheel it doesn't make any sound, but if I pass the speed bump with only the right wheel the sound is notorious :unsure:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have exactly same noises when drove over the bumps. Seems like something losing underneath. I am @ 135K and still on original struts. Looking to replace it but wasn't sure how much it cost yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts