Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently reached 30000 miles on my GG Touring/Nav 2001 MDX. The cost for the required service at that milestone was $469. For those of you have reached 30000 miles, what was your cost for the required service?

Transpower

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
transpower said:
I recently reached 30000 miles on my GG Touring/Nav 2001 MDX. The cost for the required service at that milestone was $469. For those of you have reached 30000 miles, what was your cost for the required service?

Transpower
Hi Trans, just got mine last week, $363. (+$25 for pulling a nail out of the tire). I'll post sometime on what they did...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm roughly 55% there yet, but I have a question for 30K+ MDXers. At 30K service, what was replaced, other than usual oil/VTM change/tire rotation? Breaks? Air Filter? Battery? Spark Plugs? Other? Comparing 15k to 30k service, other than a few more visual inspections and 'check the breaks' I don't see the difference. I just had a 15k service done by the dealer that cost me $50 more than a 7.5K, and there was nothing else done 'xcept the VISUAL inspection - too many IFs, IMHO, (inspect and lubricate IF, inspect and replace IF, etc.)

I mean, in probably 80% cases all service tech is doing is 'visually inspecting' your vehicle and charges you $75/hr??? :confused:

In theory, when you take your MDX for a visit to a 'doctor' (or a 'veterinarian') - take your pick; - you expect a full cavity search done to it, right? Why else you pay extra $150 to $200 over a simple oil/vtm fluid change? How come people are having all sorts of sqeeks/leeks/rattles/pings (oh, what else?) then, even AFTER they had their 'DXs serviced? With all the problems people on this forum report and all the noises checked, I think it's just 'cash-in-trash'. :rolleyes:

OK, I'm ready for your barrage of critics! :5:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
30000 Miles Service Includes...

Here goes:

oil change service, transmission fluid service, adjust drive belts and inspect hoses, tune-up, rotate tires and set pressure and balance, adjust parking brake and measure all brake pads, diff. service and VTM-4, flush brake fluid, replace A/C filter and element, apply lube oil.

Labor amount: 261.59
Parts amount: 174.24
Gas, oil, lube: 5.00
Misc. charges: 2.00
Total charges: 442.83

Sales Tax: 26.57

Total: 469.40

This does seem excessive, but it's difficult to see what would be cut.

Transpower

·
Registered
259 Posts
30000 Mile service

I wonder how much the tune-up cost, and why would they give you one at 30K when 100K is the recommended interval? I once spent $250 plus for a "special" tuneup on my departed GMC Sonoma truck (special means rip-off in Las Vegas speak)....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30000 Mile Tune-up

The tune-up cost $39.00. Right below that on the invoice is "BG208 44K Kit", whatever that is, for $18.15.

I've got the Service Manual (which I purchased for $75 shortly after picking up my 2001 MDX in November of 2000). Pages 3-4 and 3-5 describe parts A, B, and C for normal service. The 30,000 mile service requires all items in parts A, B, and C. The tune-up is due at 105,000 miles, not 30,000. Curious, no?

Pages 3-6 and 3-7 give the maintenance schedule for severe service. Part D there is to replace rear differential fluid--which is what the service dept. did--though I'm not a severe service schedule. Oh well, it doesn't hurt.

Transpower

·
Registered
259 Posts
30000 mile check

Go to www.edmunds.com, click on the Safety and Maintenance link, and you can find maintenance schedules and approximate costs for the area you live in. At 30000, I would pay around $315 here in Vegas. You can see what the average job consists of and what the labor and parts costs are. I'll be paying more than the typical MDX owner because I have to do the severe service schedule here in the desert....however, no tune-up until 100,000 which requires a change out of the platinum spark plugs; your prices don't sound like they did a plug replacement, but who knows???? I would ask what they did....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'd be a tad miffed:

Parts = $174 -- hmmm, Oil Filter, Oil, Trans fluid, VTM-Fluid, brake fluid, air filter. Doesn't look like $174 to me. Unless wheel weights are $30 per weight and they REALLY marked up the crush washers used in the oil/trans/VTM changes!!

Tune-Up -- On this one, I would see Service Manager and demand a WRITTEN description of what was done. Once I had this, I would then ask WHY it was done. Then I would contact Honda Corporate. "There ain't nothing to tune" at 30,000 miles ... This will really be a good one

·
Registered
191 Posts
The edmunds site was interesting. It prices out the 30k service to $336. which is about $150. more than my dealer, Marin Acura, quoted. I was going to let them do the work because they are going to do the timing belt fix at the same time and the dealer said they would either give me a loaner or pay for a rental. But jeez a buck and a half is a lot to eat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
edit prior post...dealer $150. more

the dealer is $150. more, of course. When has a dealer been less than anyone, especially this dealer.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
<b>THIS IS JUST UNBELIEVABLE</b>

I have posted over and over and over again, before you take your car in for service <b>READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL</b>

Then <b>MAKE A LIST OF WHAT YOU WANT DONE!</b>

I just had my 15,000 mile service done at Rallye Acura in Roslyn, NY (labor rate $96 hour) for less than <b>$100</b>. I even started a thread - 15,000 mile service for less than $100.

Go to that thread, add the cost of changing the transmission fluid - but I believe deleting the VTM fluid and you have your cost - again should be no more than $150.

If anyone out there is paying $300 to $400 for a 30,000 mile service they are not reading this board.

Common guys and gals - read this board there is wealth of information out there - and stop paying those <b>SUCKER PRICES</b> for service!

JeffK

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Took my X to the nearby Honda dealer today for my 22,500 service, oil change and tire rotation. $53.00 total. 2/3 of what the Acura dealer would have charged. Turns out both dealers here, Honda North and University Acura are owned by the same guy. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I replaced the air filter and the pollen filter myself and saved a llittle over $100.00. The air filter is very easy to replace and the pollen filter can be done as a DIY project as well. Mine ended up at $357.00.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also did a 22,500 mile service today. Went to the dealer only because of the recall (reprogram the computer control). I furnished the oil (Mobil 1 5W-30), they charged $20 for the rest of the oil change and $20 for the tire rotation - $40 total. Would normally have it done somewhere else, but since I had to take it in for the recall, it was worth it to get it all done at one place.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I was impressed with the Honda dealer I went to (within 2 miles of the house too) they took me in, on a Saturday, no appointment, took 1 hour (they had loads of folks lined up for service) and I was out of there. Painless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my 22.5K service done today - $155

Had the recall done as well

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
greatscot said:
Took my X to the nearby Honda dealer today for my 22,500 service, oil change and tire rotation. $53.00 total. 2/3 of what the Acura dealer would have charged...
$40 bucks for my 22.5k service from a local independent...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
$25 for my 22,500 (oil change). I had the tires rotated (and rebalanced) at a different facility (purchased a lifetime rotate/balance package for $30.00 -- other facility = Walmart!!).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have 29k miles ... dealer called about a tensioner recall and I asked about the 30k check-up ... he said $525!!!!!

I'll be checking the manual and making a list tonight when I get home - unreal.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts