Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced a short power surge when stopped in gear? My 2002 MDX seems to do this fairly often. It occurs for a second or two, and then stops. It kind of freaks me out because it feels as though you could go into the car in front of you against your will! I detect a similar power surge occasionally when highway driving.

I have about 7,000 miles on the MDX so far. Someone mentioned the auto temperature control as a possible culprit? I live in So. California, so I may go between ac and heat quite a bit in the spring. Should I be concerned?? Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It could be the result of the momentary engine idle speedup when the AC compressor kicks in. Make sure to have your foot firmly planted on the brake when stopped.
Try it sometime at home with nothing in front of you, foot off the brake, and see how far it creeps when you feel or hear the compressor start. I would not be surprised if it just jerks for an instant and settles right down. I've noticed it more on some cars than others.

·
Registered
127 Posts
surge

Get it all the time... Very odd.. I turned of the AC and it still did it...

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm sure it's the A/C compressor clutch engaging and disengaging. If it doesn't happen when the A/C is turned off, that's it -- it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies

I appreciate knowing that I'm not crazy and others have felt the same thing. Oddl. I haven't noticed the forward surge for a week or so. I will be more observant and see if it occurs exclusively with AC on or not. It has been cooler for the last week around here and AC may not be coming on right now.
I really appreciate this forum. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts