Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well that still sucks. At this rate should everyone up to 2015 model expect a dying tq around 100k? How often did you change the atf?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That's why they're only paying half. I mistakenly thought I could stretch the ATF fluid 45k miles on pure highway use. So the 90k mile service was only my 2nd ATF fluid change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
She goes under the knife Thursday morning to replace torque converter. Acura has offered to pay half of the $2600
Honda transmissions have always been weak. $2,600 is not bad. Is it the dealer doing this or a transmission shop. A lot of dealers are not allowed to open up a transmission. Usually they just swap them out.
Yes, dealer is doing the work.

·
Registered
2015 MDX SH-AWD, White Diamond Pearl, Advanced with Entertainment, 105k+ Miles, 6sp AT
8 Posts
My 2015 with just over 90k miles has started doing this...I am nearing my service appointment for an oil change, followed the next service with likely the $1500 USD 105k major service. I will let the dealer know this is happening, they have serviced this vehicle since it was purchased used in 2016 with just over 12k on it.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
My 2015 with just over 90k miles has started doing this...I am nearing my service appointment for an oil change, followed the next service with likely the $1500 USD 105k major service. I will let the dealer know this is happening, they have serviced this vehicle since it was purchased used in 2016 with just over 12k on it.
Please let us know what they say and how it goes. I have a 2014 that's not having this symptom but it only has 74K miles on it so far and the experiences of others can come in handy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any update on this surging issue, I also have a 2015 with 94k and just starting to notice this surge, possible to take quick action to remedy or does this mean a new TC is required? Concerned!

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
2017 MDX
209 Posts
VAGator, how many miles on the trans fluid? There was an extended 8/80 warranty for TSB 16-062 (February 11, 2017) to triple drain/refill the trans and update software. This worked to rectify the surging in my 2015, but ultimately had to repeat the fluid exchange every ~24k miles because symptoms would come back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1st and last trans fluid change was around 54k, so now approaching 40k. I had this service done at our local Honda dealer, hope that was not a mistake. Will be calling Acura dealer to discuss TSB and if they can perform that service...fingers crossed that resolves. I guess my question NVAKeith, you mention having to repeat every 24k, is this expected and if so, do you still have the vehicle or did you move onto a different year, notice you have a 2017. I am eyeing the 2020 versions, but not sure if this trans issue was resolved in the 9-speed, any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
2017 MDX
209 Posts
1st and last trans fluid change was around 54k, so now approaching 40k. I had this service done at our local Honda dealer, hope that was not a mistake. Will be calling Acura dealer to discuss TSB and if they can perform that service...fingers crossed that resolves. I guess my question NVAKeith, you mention having to repeat every 24k, is this expected and if so, do you still have the vehicle or did you move onto a different year, notice you have a 2017. I am eyeing the 2020 versions, but not sure if this trans issue was resolved in the 9-speed, any feedback on that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
VAGator
Was intending to keep the 2015 long term but it was totaled last year. The TSB details the 3x fluid exchange procedure. As our symptoms came back after 24k miles I suspect the software update didn’t make a difference. I conceded to being ok with changing the fluid every other year after 80k miles as otherwise the transmission performed well. The 2017 replaced it as the wife wanted the facelift.

Read threads about the variations in the 9-speed performance over the model years as they have differing programming. My wife commented during the test drive on the odd shifting of the 2017, but I noticed it was improved over the new 2016 we test drove back in 2016. The 2015 lived with the IDS in sport mode but we found our 2017 shifts too hard in sport mode for routine daily driving so it lives with the IDS in normal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NVAKeith, sorry to hear of your accident/total, hope everyone was ok. I too am ok to change the transmission fluid as needed, so other than this, the 2015 has been spot on, no issue to speak of other than having to replace a radiator. Will take it in to have fluid change....thanks for the info.

VAGator

21 - 29 of 29 Posts