Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
G35X exploding sunroof

Hi everyone out there who has gone through this horrible experience!

I too had my sunroof explode while driving 65mph in a brand new G35X that I purchased from Lia Infiniti in Latham NY. Buyer beware do not buy this car from this dealership!

My sunroof exploded while I was driving 65mph on a highway with a passenger in my car. For no reason (nothing hit the sunroof) the sunroof (while it was closed) made a huge bang and burst up and out of the car! You could clearly see something from inside the car caused this explosion because the glass exploded out in an upward position into a million pieces!

The sick part of it all is that neither the dealership nor the manufacturer is taking responsibility for this defect! They are trying to blame it on a rock! Are they kidding!! As I read more posts I see this is happening more and more to different makes and model cars -when is the manufacturing companies going to take responsibility for the defective glass they are putting into these cars? Are they going to wait for someone to get killed before they do a recall??

All I can say is keep posting and keep fighting - why should consumers purchase cars for thousands of dollars and have their sunroof burst only to find that the dealerships and manufacturers are blaming it on the rock?? There is more to this then we know and we need to find out what the cause of the defect is before somebody gets killed!! Stay clear of a G35!!

Angels 10

·
Registered
569 Posts
My moonroof/sunroof just exploded. It was open so the glass was in the roof. The shatter scared the hell out of us. After getting the window closed the glass has a hole in the middle of the windown and the cracks go out from the hold. Nothing hit the glass because the window was open.

I'll see what my stealership says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exploding Sunroof - Another Case!

Several days ago, my wife and I too fell victim to the mysterious exploding sunroof phenomenon.

This past Sunday we were driving on the highway (approx 70-75mph) during a sunny spring day (65 deg) with the sunroof closed and the sunshade open. Out of the blue there was a sudden loud bang that sounded like a gun went off on the cabin. Immediately we were covered in glass shards that came from a large gaping hole in the middle of the sunroof. We were completely stunned as there was no apparent reason (no rock, debris, bridges, nearby cars or trucks) that could account for what had just occurred.

Upon pulling over and inspection, the class was clearly pushing OUTWARDS. While there were glass shards throughout the front two rows of the cabin, given the size of the hole in the glass, there was less glass in the interior than we would expect. This certainly was due to the glass exploding upwards. Most concerning was the piece of sunroof the size of my hand that was resting in our daughters car seat. (Our three small children were not in the car at the time).

Took it to the dealership today and they too agreed that the glass was pushed outwards. While they would not rule out a "rock hit it" they could not come up with an explanation as to how this would cause the whole sunroof to buckle upwards. While the service manager was somewhat evasive (but polite) the technician who worked on our MDX commented to my wife that he had personally replaced several other sunroofs under similar circumstances.

Good News: Today the dealership contacted Acura who agreed to, and did, replace it at their cost. Our Acura is a 2008 with 32K miles (and under warranty).

When I asked why I should be reassured this would not reoccur, the Service Manager assured me that he would be comfortable driving my car with the replacement glass because this was such an unusual malfunction. Not sure that completely satisfies, but its the best answer I could get.

For now, we will be driving with the sunshade closed if the sunroof isn't open.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
just curious if this sunroof problem can be fix under warranty even if X pass the warranty period? I find this as a safety issues...I hope ACURA will not be like TOYOTA...too late to call a recall...

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
midnightMDX said:
Very scary. :eek: Luckily no one was injured. I wonder what causes this.
It's not pressure as the interior is vented for opening and closing of the doors. My guess would be that a small crack develops (probably from a rock hit). Then body flexing causes stress, which then grows the crack. The sunroof is curved outwards, so it would tend to "explode" outwards. The forces involved could be fairly high causing the tempered glass to shatter once it lets go. Tempered glass is designed to shatter, so it appears to explode. Windshields are thicker and likely require higher load capcaity for safety, so they don't shatter from cracking.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
speeedymdx said:
just curious if this sunroof problem can be fix under warranty even if X pass the warranty period? I find this as a safety issues...I hope ACURA will not be like TOYOTA...too late to call a recall...
I doubt you'll see any recall - it doesn't really seem like that big a problem. There are also plenty of cases of it happening to other manufacturers. And there is no way to prove or disprove an outside influence like a rock hit caused intial damage that led to it exploding.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Put a tint on your sunroof as a quick fix :D.

All kidding aside I wasn't aware of this problem until the recent wave of posts. Scary! The sunroof will either be open or covered from now on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah, my friend had a Rav4 and they were just driving and like everyone else described...it just exploded. They took it to Toyota dealership and they would not do anything about it. They had to buck up something like $1400 to get it fixed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Almost the exact same thing happened to my wife today in my 2010 Honda Crosstour. The sunroof exploded and I do mean exploded, not imploded. You can tell that the glass is deflected upwards. The shade was open but there's minimal glass in the cabin considering the amount of glass that must have come out. It must have exploded out of the car. I took the car immediately to Goodson Honda West in Houston and my quote was $1100 to make the repair. They took a quick glance and dismissed the problem for flying debris. Yeah, sure. The trajectory of the projectile has to be so precise at 70mph to hit a sunroof and even so, the speed would reduce the direct impact to a point that it would not have caused this much damage. I'm not so much upset at the car as I cringe at any instance that I have to FIGHT with the dealers about this. They couldn't care less about you. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody had there sunroof explode yet??? The thing actually exploded out, no reason what so ever - wasn't under a bridge - just driving along and POP! out it went, big hole glass pushing out.
I know nothing fell out of the sky because the glass is actually pushed out, and only a few pieces of glass fell into the car.
So the dealership claims Acura will not take responsibility for the exploding sunroof, however, they (the dealership) will fix it for me, no charge.
I am here to tell you nothing hit my sunroof - it popped from the inside out - I hope there is not a maunfacturers defect and this dosen't happen to anybody else.
I have reported it to Acura - they know its an issue - and they have chosen to say it was my fault.
Please feel free to contact me if this happens to you.
Brand New 2007 - less than 100 miles....
Hi have a 2007 MDX and the roof has blown out 3 times. Interesting to note the dealer has paid every time but refuses comment. Twice on the hiway and one just driving down a secondary street at 60kmh. I live in Calgary.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So Acura is taking no responsibility and accuse the owners of being at fault. The dealership, on the other hand, takes the high road and offers to replace shattered moonroof at no cost to the owners. If I didn't know any better I'd say the Acura is avoiding a hazard and safety PR nightmare and has asked the dealerships to replace the windows and is likely reimbursing them for the costs afterwards. Just my opinion - I wish my dealership was as gracious!

·
Registered
91 Posts
So Acura is taking no responsibility and accuse the owners of being at fault. The dealership, on the other hand, takes the high road and offers to replace shattered moonroof at no cost to the owners. If I didn't know any better I'd say the Acura is avoiding a hazard and safety PR nightmare and has asked the dealerships to replace the windows and is likely reimbursing them for the costs afterwards. Just my opinion - I wish my dealership was as gracious!
The same issue was report on Audi Q5 - I know this is MDX forum - just saying that I read the same post on BMW and AUDI forums - this is not single manufacture issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody had there sunroof explode yet??? The thing actually exploded out, no reason what so ever - wasn't under a bridge - just driving along and POP! out it went, big hole glass pushing out.
I know nothing fell out of the sky because the glass is actually pushed out, and only a few pieces of glass fell into the car.
So the dealership claims Acura will not take responsibility for the exploding sunroof, however, they (the dealership) will fix it for me, no charge.
I am here to tell you nothing hit my sunroof - it popped from the inside out - I hope there is not a maunfacturers defect and this dosen't happen to anybody else.
I have reported it to Acura - they know its an issue - and they have chosen to say it was my fault.
Please feel free to contact me if this happens to you.
Brand New 2007 - less than 100 miles....
Yes! This happened to me this morning on my way to work! Nothing hit - not under a bridge and on a two lane road with no other cars around me. Very little glass fell in vehicle. Glass just shattered suddenly. Very scary!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts