Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had there sunroof explode yet??? The thing actually exploded out, no reason what so ever - wasn't under a bridge - just driving along and POP! out it went, big hole glass pushing out.
I know nothing fell out of the sky because the glass is actually pushed out, and only a few pieces of glass fell into the car.
So the dealership claims Acura will not take responsibility for the exploding sunroof, however, they (the dealership) will fix it for me, no charge.
I am here to tell you nothing hit my sunroof - it popped from the inside out - I hope there is not a maunfacturers defect and this dosen't happen to anybody else.
I have reported it to Acura - they know its an issue - and they have chosen to say it was my fault.
Please feel free to contact me if this happens to you.
Brand New 2007 - less than 100 miles....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yow. I think I'd report that one to the NHTSB as a safety defect that could impair driving.
I bet we're about to hear a lot of those.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The glass could of had internal stress.

Many years ago I had something similar happen. The rear window in my 1961 Chevrolet shattered when a helopcopter flew over it very low. The vibrations from the helicopters blades set up a frequency within the glass that caused it to shatter. The car was sitting in front of my house just outside Andrews AFB Maryland.

Glass breakage is usually a zero deductible on your insurance policy.

Instead of getting into a big fight with your Acura dealer, which you are not likely to win in this case, I would just use the insurance.

G

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
mdxx3 said:
Please do NOT report to Acura!! They will remove the factory subwoofer in their next revision. j/k
Phil-

Like that's a bad thing........ ;)

G

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Had to be one of the x-men. . .

:creep:

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
carguy1234 said:
I have heard of Explorers blowing windows before.

I bet we hear about more '07's with the issue.
I hope not. I've already been through that experience on my 01 with the shattered rear glass.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I wonder if the windows were cracked open slightly? We all know how air tight the X is.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had my drivers window explode in by M5 a few months ago.

I thought it was a gunshot- I was doing 85 on the freeway and a hole appeared just behind the external mirror, the window spiderwebbed- I glanced at it and the window blew apart.

Literally 2 inches behind the mirror, impossible to imagine a rock coming up and around the mirror...

CHP showed up. I said 'it might have been a gunshot'... he looked at me, cocked his head and asked; "Any bullets in you?" No. "Any bullet holes on the other side of the car?" No "Any bullet holes in the interior?" No "Then it wasn't a gunshot"

$0 deductible, BMW original glass since side windows don't get replaced at anything near the frequency of front glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That reminds me of the time a neighbor of mine was driving her Acura Integra by a neighborhood water tower when the water tower exploded. All the windows in that vehicle were blown out. She was very shaken up but not injured. It was one of the weirdest things I'd ever seen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
G. COLTON said:

????????????????

G
The 2007 entertainment package has 2 subwoofer mounted on both side close to the ceiling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
SilveradoMDX said:

The 2007 entertainment package has 2 subwoofer mounted on both side close to the ceiling.
I think those are just normal speakers. the subwoofer is in the trunk area. The entertainment package doesn't have any additional speakers unless you count the headphones...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts