Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in (at her request...no, demand, and thank god I didn't buy it new) my wife's loaded 2001 X5 4.4 w/ sport pkg, BMW aero body kit, nav, xenons, etc etc for 2003 blk on blk Touring with some upgrades (no nav, because the BMW nav system a pain and wife didn't want to wait)...worked the dealer on a set of chromed 2002 Touring wheels they had laying around (she didn't like 2003 rims and neither did I). Anyway, looking to add a DVD system and like the convenience of the integrated Audiovox units. I'm new to the board and saw Voltes reference problems using burned DVD's. Is that still a problem or have you figured out an alternative? Does the Audiovox lack the memory capacity to start at same spot on the DVD if the car is turned off, and if so, is that problem avoided by keeping the key in the accessory position when you pull off at the rest stop? Also looking at Sony 7" wide screen because it matches headliner, with a Panasonic or Pioneer DVD deck with memory...any suggestions? This is an awesome site...BTW, I drive an Audi A8 and looking to pluck a used S8 after it takes the usual huge Audi hit on depreciation just like the A8 I bought with 20k. Must say I'm extremely impressed with the MDX.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Johnny,

Welcome to the board!! Too bad you had a bad experience with the BMW Navi. The Acura Navi is really straightforward a great addition to the MDX. But at least you'll enjoy the improvement in cargo space!!

Anyway, I did a lot of research on a video system, and decided that more expensive and name brand is not necessarily better. For a DVD player I got the Power Acoustik PADVD80 that plays DVD/VCD/MP3s without a problem. The units are small and come with multiple inputs and outputs. When I got mine it was $189, but now you can find an even better version with front panel inputs for only around $139 on eBay.

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1390673351

For a flip-down screen in the back, I got one from www.five-stars.com . It's just like this one but in black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1383371710

At $249 it's much cheaper than the Audiovox's.

It's got pretty high resolution at 1440 x 234 pixels, highest you can get.

For reference you can click on the "Video Install" link on my signature.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
86 Posts
MDXtrous,
I got the $139 DVD player like you mentioned. I bought it last week from another eBay seller for $138, but didn't want to post until I recieve it (tomorrow). Look like it will fit in the slot under coin tray; same location as the RES player option for 03 model. For monitor, I bought the one similar to yours, however they claimed with much higher resolution (1440x480).
Here is the link: http://7925.adahost.com/computer/index.html?loadfile=catalog21_0.html

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
purdue1 said:
MDXtrous,
I got the $139 DVD player like you mentioned. I bought it last week from another eBay seller for $138, but didn't want to post until I recieve it (tomorrow). Look like it will fit in the slot under coin tray; same location as the RES player option for 03 model. For monitor, I bought the one similar to yours, however they claimed with much higher resolution (1440x480).
Here is the link: http://7925.adahost.com/computer/index.html?loadfile=catalog21_0.html
Wow, let me know how the combination goes, especially on the screen. The model number is identical, but it does say 1440 x 480 and 690,000 pixels. These things to come down in price and improve in functionality so quickly!! Hopefully it works out for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I place my Panasonic LA95 on the top, flip out center armrest between the 2 front seats. It attaches to 3 small pieces of velcro and installs in about 5 seconds. The position is perfect for rear seet viewing. The screen is 9", video quality is excellent, sound quality very good. Can connect 3 head phones and game cube, etc. When I park I just take it off, fold it up, hide it in the pocket on the back of the front seat and close the arm rest. Can also use it anywhere else I like as well. Watched 2 movies at a 6 hour swim meet this weekend. Battery life is 2.5 hours on standard battery. 8 with extra battery. Be careful of the screens built into the back of the head rests. They are in a bad location for sun glare and you need a high quality display to see in any bright conditions. There is no glare with placement between the front seats nor is there any interference with rear visisbility. The Toshiba's and Samsung do not have as fine video or audio quality in comparison to the Panasonic. The LA95 can be purchased for less than $700 US.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Johnny,
Can you give me the model number of the Sony flip-down system you are thinking about? I'm in the process of planning a DVD install myself and want to check out as many different options as possible.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
the 7" sony screen is the xvm-r75. it is a motorized screen which closes once the engine is shut off. you can purchase it at etronics.com for $629 or from a reputable dealer on ebay for less than $600. a member here owns one and posted pictures of his install. really looks factory installed! i am going this route, but will install it in my 2003 odyssey. can anyone recommend an in dash dvd player? also considering the rosen r-5001 dvd changer.

joe

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts