Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I've read through everything on here more than once, as well as searched elsewhere online but have yet to find a lot of useful info regarding replacement of the factory sub. What speaker/amp combos have people actually installed and enjoyed? I hate the factory sub with a passion, and now that mine sounds blown, it's time to go. I've been eyeing a R500X1D Fosgate amp, but as for a speaker choice, I'm still open to suggestions (Well open on amp as well). I've seen a Pioneer sub mentioned, then saw bad reviews, saw some high end, basically total overkill for my setup speakers mentioned as well.
  • So, I'd like to do this soon, utilizing the factory enclosure, anything you have done and actually loved?
(I have a 13' Advance btw) Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had Kicker, Alpine, Image Dynamics, CDT audio subs and currently JL 8W3v3-4
JL is the best compared to others.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had Kicker, Alpine, Image Dynamics, CDT audio subs and currently JL 8W3v3-4
JL is the best compared to others.

Looks good, did you heavily modify the stock enclosure? I'm hoping to find something that fits in stock enclosure, and just add some poly inside and maybe sound deadening around the area.
Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Had to remove inner plastic reinforcement for deeper mount subwoofer.
Sprayed rubberized coating inside of the enclosure and added some fiberglass for outer box reinforcement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm,
Had to remove inner plastic reinforcement for deeper mount subwoofer.
Sprayed rubberized coating inside of the enclosure and added some fiberglass for outer box reinforcement.
Hmm.. Ok, that dosen't look horrible to do. So just any rubber spray? Throw any poly in there as well? Then just coat outside of box in fiberglass?
Which amp are you pushing that with? Also, assume your using a line level converter as well ? (Sorry for all the questions, just want to go in with the most knowledge I can get. Had a sub box in my TL for years, same for previous vehicles, factory enclosure is new territory)
Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hmm,

Hmm.. Ok, that dosen't look horrible to do. So just any rubber spray? Throw any poly in there as well? Then just coat outside of box in fiberglass?
Which amp are you pushing that with? Also, assume your using a line level converter as well ? (Sorry for all the questions, just want to go in with the most knowledge I can get. Had a sub box in my TL for years, same for previous vehicles, factory enclosure is new territory)
Thanks!
rubberized undercoating was used, it adds some structural rigidity and seals box little better, since the box is made from two pieces.
I dont think fiberglass is need, did it just in case... But sound deadening is a must, there will be some panel vibration.
I did not use any line level converter, removed stock subwoofer amp and tapped signal wires before factory connector.
Did not fill with poly, I had it originally but removed later on, did not like the sound. Alpine 500 watt mono amp was used.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rubberized undercoating was used, it adds some structural rigidity and seals box little better, since the box is made from two pieces.
I dont think fiberglass is need, did it just in case... But sound deadening is a must, there will be some panel vibration.
I did not use any line level converter, removed stock subwoofer amp and tapped signal wires before factory connector.
Did not fill with poly, I had it originally but removed later on, did not like the sound. Alpine 500 watt mono amp was used.
Thank You!

Btw, did you tap the line going into the factory sub amp? Or go to the main amp located in the front passenger kick panel (I assume sub amp). I just assumed a line converter was required.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thank You!

Btw, did you tap the line going into the factory sub amp? Or go to the main amp located in the front passenger kick panel (I assume sub amp). I just assumed a line converter was required.
Yes, i did tap in to the factory line before sub amp (Factory sub amp is in sub enclosure), no converter required (Factory signal before sub amp is a low level signal).

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have a 15in cadence wild beast enclosed in a ported box with a 1000watt alpine amp driving it , i taped it in with a loc, my mdx jumps off the ground

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 15in cadence wild beast enclosed in a ported box with a 1000watt alpine amp driving it , i taped it in with a loc, my mdx jumps off the ground
Sounds like it lol. My box days are done, needed something to fit in the factory location without a lot of modifications. Just ordered the JL 8w3v3-4 (got a great deal on it), and an Alpine 500watt amp, and an NVX real 4 gauge, 100% copper wiring kit. I still have my setup from my old TL (12" Kicker Comp, Soundstream Van Gogh (500 or 600watt, I forget), sealed box, and a huge capacitor (which I may reuse, not sure yet).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds like it lol. My box days are done, needed something to fit in the factory location without a lot of modifications. Just ordered the JL 8w3v3-4 (got a great deal on it), and an Alpine 500watt amp, and an NVX real 4 gauge, 100% copper wiring kit. I still have my setup from my old TL (12" Kicker Comp, Soundstream Van Gogh (500 or 600watt, I forget), sealed box, and a huge capacitor (which I may reuse, not sure yet).
Can you please take pictures of the job? I'm gonna attempt the same job in my 2009. Where did you get a good deal on the JL sub from?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts