Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, have been lurking here ever since I bought my 2005 MDX last month. I am in need of some help.

Mine has the bose speaker system but the subwoofer is not working. I have found a couple stock bose replacements on ebay and other websites for around $50 and am ready to buy one. However, how do I know that it is the subwoofer that has stopped working or if is the amp or some other part?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hooking up any type of speaker to the sub speaker wiring will tell you if it is getting signal....then go from there.l

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Good suggestion, since the driver (speaker) itself is the most likely point of failure. But there are a lot of other things that could cause it to not work. You'll cover most of them with that $50 Ebay replacement (assuming it works, which it probably does). There's got to be a fuse that is in the power supply for the subwoofer - you can find that in the owner's manual I'd guess (don't have access to the factory manual right now).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good suggestion, since the driver (speaker) itself is the most likely point of failure. But there are a lot of other things that could cause it to not work. You'll cover most of them with that $50 Ebay replacement (assuming it works, which it probably does). There's got to be a fuse that is in the power supply for the subwoofer - you can find that in the owner's manual I'd guess (don't have access to the factory manual right now).
Thanks. So do you think it could just be a blown fuse? I tried finding the fuse specifically for the sub but the only relevant fuse the manual has is for the rear entertainment system (which I'm guessing is for the speakers).

I'm hoping it is just the speaker. Will test it out soon with the method suggested above and keep you posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so I tried hooking the sub up to another system I had at home and it does work. I guess the bass is just poor in the MDX, I will look into upgrading my system down the line. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If you can't hear the bass coming out of the subwoofer, there's something wrong with it. Yeah, it's not going to shake the car, or annoy the folks two lanes over, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm not sure if your comment means that you tested the driver itself by hooking it up to another stereo - if that's the case, there are still a lot of things that could cause the subwoofer SYSTEM to not work (the wiring, the subwofer amplifier, the output to the sub from your dash unit, etc.).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can't hear the bass coming out of the subwoofer, there's something wrong with it. Yeah, it's not going to shake the car, or annoy the folks two lanes over, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm not sure if your comment means that you tested the driver itself by hooking it up to another stereo - if that's the case, there are still a lot of things that could cause the subwoofer SYSTEM to not work (the wiring, the subwofer amplifier, the output to the sub from your dash unit, etc.).
I think you may be right. I can't really hear the sub when its in the car.

I'm thinking that there could be an issue with the Bose amp because now none of my speakers are working. Is the amp only responsible for the subwoofer or does it control the other speakers too? How can I test what is wrong?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
There is a separate amp for the Bose subwoofer, but I'm not at all familiar with it. Fully troubleshooting a sound system that's on the fritz can be complicated - it's one of those things that you should get some experienced help with (whether that means taking it to a shop, or buying a knowledgeable buddy a few beers is up to you). The only way to get meaningful advice on a forum like this is to provide enough information to narrow down the symptoms to a reasonable point. Since you just bought yours, my guess is that someone tried to "upgrade" the stereo in the past and botched it. The standard sound systems in the Acuras are very reliable until someone gets "creative"... then all bets are off.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My only thought at this point, in regards to someone previously possibly trying to "mod" the system...they may have turned off/cut etc. the "turn on" trigger wire to the rear BOSE amp....just playing off of habbyguy above...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just realized I didn't update this thread. So for some closure, it turns out my stock bose amp was damaged by water somehow and that is why the subwoofer wasn't working. After I originally posted, the other speakers were giving me issues and turning off after play for a few minutes until the speakers didn't work at all. I bought a used amp and had that installed and it did the trick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.