Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a 1400 mile vacation trip. I noticed a stutter or slight
engine miss (feels like the engine is not running smoothly) when I was between 45 - 60 MPH. It is more apparent when cruising between those speeds and is not as evident when accelerating between those speeds. This happens in both 4th or 5th gear on the freeway. There is no RPM change/fluctuation when this happens. Below 45 or above 60 MPH, the studder/miss feeling is not evident. The transmission shifts great, etc. between all gears. I assume this is something to do with the engine and not the transmission. No warning lights have ever come on. I plan to get it checked out when I can. Has anyone experienced this in their MDX? Could it be an EGR or IAC valve? I have 33,000 miles on my 2002 MDX.

By the way, I averaged 22.2 MPG on this trip that took me across the Cascades/Sierras/Lake Tahoe area.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
That's pretty-much like the way mine felt for about a month before the Check Engine light came on, followed a minute or so later by the VTM-4 light. Sounds like the EGR valve to me, as that's the light combo that signals EGR or IAC or oxygen sensor. I doubt if the dealer can help you until the lights come on.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Since my Acura dealer is 75 miles away, I will wait until the warning lights come on, or until it gets a lot worse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It could also be something to do with the torque converter, I experienced very similar stutter between 50-60 KM whilst cruising though I did notice a slight jump in my rpms (no warning lights though) whilst this was happening. This led to a replaced transmission. There are a number of threads on this issue.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My engine warning light came on along with the VTM-4 warning light a week ago. The engine warning light then stayed on all the time when driving , while the VTM-4 light came on only once in awhile.
After 1 week, both lights failed to come on when driving.
Has this happened to others where the lights came on for a week or so, and then went off. Can the error code that generated this engine warning light be diagnosed at the Acura Service Dept. if the lights are not on (i.e., error saved in memory possibly?), or do the warning lights need to be on when trying to decipher the correct error code (i.e., what is wrong such as EGR valve, etc.)
The MDX still has this minor "hesitation/stutter" on the highway, but it has not got worse in the last two months.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The code will still be stored in the computer even if the check engine light still isn't on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just had my EGR replaced under warranty for this same problem. It's fixed now!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had my EGR valve replaced today. It took Acura 3 months to get these valves back in stock again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 Acura Mdx 3.5 Liter V6.. When I'm driving normally, between 45-60 MPH it has a hesitation like a misfire or not getting fuel or power.. I changed all the Spark plugs and Coil packs (coil on plug) the air filter oil and oil filter change.. I also did a complete Sea Foam treatment and put 91 octane gas... All OEM Parts and its still doing the same thing!! Its driving me crazy.. Anyone else out there with same issue?? Any tips on what it can be?? Ok please get back to me ASAP I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT..
I'm planning on going on a 900 mile trip in the next couple days.. 450 Miles each way... I should be fine Mostly all highway driving between 70-80 MPH And YES!!,, that's what the speed limit really is... There's is no Check Engine lights on or anything like that! (Knock on WOOD) I Also just did my yearly emissions test a few days ago and passed it without any problems!! hope to hear from you guys soon.. THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my EGR replaced under warranty for this same problem. It's fixed now!
Hey there, I have a 2006 Acura Mdx 3.5 Liter V6.. When I'm driving normally, between 45-60 MPH it has a hesitation like a misfire or not getting fuel or power.. I changed all the Spark plugs and Coil packs (coil on plug) the air filter oil and oil filter change.. I also did a complete Sea Foam treatment and put 91 octane gas... All OEM Parts and its still doing the same thing!! Its driving me crazy.. Anyone else out there with same issue?? Any tips on what it can be?? Ok please get back to me ASAP I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT..
I'm planning on going on a 900 mile trip in the next couple days.. 450 Miles each way... I should be fine Mostly all highway driving between 70-80 MPH And YES!!,, that's what the speed limit really is... There's is no Check Engine lights on or anything like that! (Knock on WOOD) I Also just did my yearly emissions test a few days ago and passed it without any problems!! hope to hear from you guys soon.. THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished a 1400 mile vacation trip. I noticed a stutter or slight
engine miss (feels like the engine is not running smoothly) when I was between 45 - 60 MPH. It is more apparent when cruising between those speeds and is not as evident when accelerating between those speeds. This happens in both 4th or 5th gear on the freeway. There is no RPM change/fluctuation when this happens. Below 45 or above 60 MPH, the studder/miss feeling is not evident. The transmission shifts great, etc. between all gears. I assume this is something to do with the engine and not the transmission. No warning lights have ever come on. I plan to get it checked out when I can. Has anyone experienced this in their MDX? Could it be an EGR or IAC valve? I have 33,000 miles on my 2002 MDX.

By the way, I averaged 22.2 MPG on this trip that took me across the Cascades/Sierras/Lake Tahoe area.
Hello There!! PLEASE HELP LOL..... Ok so,I have a 2006 Acura Mdx 3.5 Liter V6.. When I'm driving normally, between 45-60 MPH it has a hesitation like a misfire or not getting fuel or power.. I changed all the Spark plugs and Coil packs (coil on plug) the air filter oil and oil filter change.. I also did a complete Sea Foam treatment and put 91 octane gas... All OEM Parts and its still doing the same thing!! Its driving me crazy.. Anyone else out there with same issue?? Any tips on what it can be?? Ok please get back to me ASAP I'D GREATLY APPRECIATE IT..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts