Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was just hoping y'all could clarify the various parts of the AWD/4x4 transmission and their functions along with the correct oils to use in each.

For instance, I understand that the car has an automatic transmission, but because of the other systems, there are also 2(?) "transfer cases" front and rear, along with a rear differential (just like on a regular car).

As I understand it, the main transmission and transfer cases uses regular Honda DW-1 transmission fluid and the rear differential uses the VTM-4 fluid. I have also heard that the transmission holds a total of about 8.5 quarts of fluid and the rear diff. holds about 3.9 quarts.

Do I have the basics correct, or did I get something wrong?

Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There are 3 items. What MAG refers to needs 80W-90 gear oil, less than 1qt. Like the VTM it’s drained and filled to overflow. (On both diffs, make sure you can take the fill bolt off before draining!)

You’re correct on the other two items though the factory service manual states the volume of the trans is 7.7qts at overhaul. 8.5qts must be totally empty.

If you have a Honda dealer nearby, you might check costs on the Honda VTM and DW1, it will probably be a little less than the Acura branded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts