Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
This is stupid but I never used a clay bar before. How do I apply?
if it gets dirty, do I shave the dirty part off? How do I get dirt off the bar??

·
Registered
392 Posts
the clay bar probably came with some instructions...but generally wash the car well using dawn dishwasher liquid to get rid of any dealer finish. then you use the claybar, with a bit of zaino or other good car wash mixed about a cap to a spray bottle of water....spray...then clay....letting it glide up and back until you actually feel stuff is pulled off and it runs smooth over the finish. if it gets dirty, knead the bar. keep on trucking! or suv'ing...until you have done the entire vehicle. then wash off the residual, and go put on zaino! or whatever you choose. after the clay bar, the surface will feel smooth as glass. by the way, someone told me they claybarred their windshield and it helped there too, but i don't know about that. also, don't drop the bar on the floor! if it picks up any grit you have to dump it and buy a new one!!! happy claybarring!:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
The clay bar can be folded into itself when the dirt begins to build-up. It should last for about 4-5 applications. You can also use "detailer's mist" as a lubricant as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It took me about 30-40 min. Not too long. It also depends on thorough you want to be...I was very thorough.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
It really worked well when I got paint on the X. . .

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I agree the stuff is amazing. Great for road "crap" that sticks to the lower parts or the sides of the X. Works great for getting rid of residue of stickers and dealer logos that are applied without your consent .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I fint doing the clay process to be very relaxing normally - and dont rush it.

I once took my very very well kept SSEi into work, in the middle of winter . I built ramps to get up the 18 inch high dock - and washed indoors. I started claying at about 11 pm, on a saturday night - and finished about 1.5 hours later, I had tunes, and Crown Royal and warm indoor facilities, I pulled out of the warehouse at 3 a.m, afet laying three zaino coats on it when done . . .

went for a nice drive right downtown - and got home at 5 a.m.

I really really really needed a life then (2 years ago)

·
Registered
42 Posts
After this past winter, I noticed the paint surface got a lot rougher. I thought I would use the clay bar (haven't used it since 1st application of Zaino).

Will the claybar remove all the coats of Zaino I have applied?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've always been a little apprehensive to try the clay bar but today I got my nerve up and did the hood on my five year old CL. If anyone has been holding off on trying this don't worry, it's very easy and it works great.

The hood on my 98 CL feels smoother than my brand new 03 MDX and looks great. There's lots of good informatiion available on the net on how to clay but it's really very easy. I used the quick detailer that came with the Mother's clay bar.

I cut the bar into three pieces as is usually recommended and stored the pieces in zip-lock bags. I dropped the bar once, had a real good look at it and couldn't find any contaminants so I continued using it (usually considered a no-no).

Yes, it removes any wax already on the car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dried out claybar

I have a claybar I bought at Griot's garage 3 or 4 years ago. It's been in the sealed plastic container, but when I went to use it, it was hard. Anybody know if you can rejuvenate a hardened claybar? Can you soak it in water or something else?

·
Registered
128 Posts
RTK said:
After this past winter, I noticed the paint surface got a lot rougher. I thought I would use the clay bar (haven't used it since 1st application of Zaino).

Will the claybar remove all the coats of Zaino I have applied?
it will remove some - just how much/many depends on things like how hard you do it, how much is on the car . . .

you shuld figure it will take 2 layers off -
if thats all you had last fall (its likely gone anyways then) you should consider yourself as starting over . . .

its worth doing, i do my cars, and some customer cars twice a year . ..

·
Registered
715 Posts
norcal, you can "moisturize" your claybar back to life by using Griot's Speed Shine, Zaino Z6 or even a small amount of soapy water or whatever you would normally use as a lubricant for use with your claybar.

·
Registered
923 Posts
So, exactly, if someone could give me in detail, what does the claybar actually do? Does it remove that "orange peel"? What about contaminants on the hood? Also, on my other car (it was neglected), the paint is not smooth anymore, and it is very streaky. There are a great amount of swirl marks, and water stains. How do i get those off? Also, I got a few water stains from washing my car this weekend, how do i get those off? Just wash it again? I was stupid and i washed the car in the sun! :32: :bonk: :1pat: :twak: So, what should i do? thanks guys!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a gallon of that lube stuff Griot sold to go along with the clay bar. Do I just drop the bar in a bucket of the stuff until it is soft?

·
Registered
128 Posts
BLACK-BLING-MDX said:
So, exactly, if someone could give me in detail, what does the claybar actually do? Does it remove that "orange peel"? What about contaminants on the hood?

no
yes
it will not take care of orange peel, thats sifferent. it will remve contaminents on the paint that washing doesnt. a whole list of things, but i bet you can guess what they are

Also, on my other car (it was neglected), the paint is not smooth anymore, and it is very streaky. There are a great amount of swirl marks, and water stains. How do i get those off? Also, I got a few water stains from washing my car this weekend, how do i get those off? Just wash it again? I was stupid and i washed the car in the sun! :32: :bonk: :1pat: :twak: So, what should i do? thanks guys!
swirl marks are not going to be handled by a claybar -
water spots can - unless they have etched into the clearcoat - then you treat it like a swirl - and now you are talking about abrasives, and if it is bad enough, get the car buffed . ..

·
Registered
715 Posts
norcal, take the spray stuff from Griot and spray some on your dry clay and mush it and squeeze it and knead it, adding more spray as you go till your bar is once again pliable and ready for some action....

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thank you very much Homer2! Your knowledge on this topic has helped me a lot. The swirl marks are bad, and the water stains aren't that bad. I think I will claybar it this weekend, along with my MDX. Is it better just to get the car buffed? How much does buffing usually cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
effect above the clear coat

the clay bar, which MUST be used with a lubricant, will remove contaminants, water spots, overspray, bug debris,etc.

it will not improve swirl marks (very fine scratches) nor orange peel effect or anything else that is under the clear coat.

regards,

chris

1 - 20 of 21 Posts