Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2016 Advance, and I'm confused on why I cannot get the street names to show up on the Nav map. Even at max zoomed in, very rarely does a street name show up.

In all other cars I've had, you can read the street name which is handy when you're driving somewhere you are somewhat familiar with and are going off verbal directions (like turn right on Main St.). It's nice to be able to see on the Nav screen that Main St. is coming up.

I couldn't find any settings. Here is a picture in my neighborhood. It is weird that only one street, which is a smallish street is labeled while others aren't. It does tell you the street you're on, but it's impossible to know what the cross streets' names are :(

Finally, this is my first Japanese car in ~10 years. Is there any way to unlock the settings so they can be adjusted while driving. I'm locked out of the UI to make settings changes or input directions while driving. I know it's a safety issue, but if my wife is driving and I'm in the passenger seat, I should be able to input them. My BMWs, Audis and Volvos all let you do this, there is a warning when you start the car, but that's it.

The MDX voice guidance is a bit lack luster (as they all are) so that's not a solution. I tried to input an address in Houston Texas and I ended up getting sent to a police station in St. Louis, MO ;)

Anyways, I guess two questions, I'm assuming the settings lockout is not able to be disabled, but I should be able to see street names at max zoom (and even less zoom degrees).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
In my opinion, the maps are REALLY out of date. Like ridiculously so. I can't even pull up addresses of places established 3-4 years ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try various zoom levels. On my current car (not MDX), a zoom of 700 ft gives the most small street names.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try various zoom levels. On my current car (not MDX), a zoom of 700 ft gives the most small street names.
I'll give that a go, but I only arrived at max zoom because no street names were appearing. I did just try that again on my last trip and if I go far out, maybe I'll catch one or two major 55 mph streets.

It seems hit or miss, in other parts of my neighborhood more street names appear, in others it is like a city with no street names ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My indicator looks like yours, where you see the 1/20th of a mile. 700 feet would be about 1/8th mile. Maybe it doesn't zoom in far enough? I am looking into a 2016 Advance myself. I will definitely pay attention to this during my test drive. I use the feature every time I am in an unfamiliar neighborhood. I don't always enter my destinations, but I refer to the map to find street names, etc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Really old thread but Acura definitely hasn't done anything about this. In my 19 Advance I noticed something similar that I'm unable to see most street names even at max zoom and was thinking I did something wrong, but it would appear this is how it was designed as it's been doing this since 2015, unless anyone else happens to have better luck?

At least 18+ has Android Auto, so I end up using this most of the time (only limitation is you need data service, if you are off the grid with no coverage then this won't work). On a side note the Acura Navigation is terrible. My 2010 Infiniti FX35 not only displays street names, it also displays speed limit on the map as well. Considering the 2010 is the same as the 2009 that would mean Infiniti had a superior navigation/map design 5 years earlier then Acura. Here we are in 2019 and my 9 year old FX has a better experience then the brand new Acura. They obviously didn't take design of the infotainment seriously. If they made any attempt at all with engineers who have used some of the better systems out there they would have learned lessons about what to do and what not to do. They obviously never did such analysis.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Navtech maps are really outdated at best, their database is 2 years old to begin with. My 5 year old 5 inch portable Garmin GPS is much easier and 100% user friendly. I'm actually thinking to buy a newer Garmin hand held unit, put it on in place of my 2015 Tech nav screen. It does everything OEM does, and a whole lot more. Shows the street name I'm driving, what's coming then Bluetooth cell photne calling(of course quality is much worse). Free lifetime update.

Navigation in Acura vehicles is a joke, seriously. When choosing a used MDX, be sure you understand navigation is 99% useless. Buy a good base model.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Navtech maps are really outdated at best, their database is 2 years old to begin with. My 5 year old 5 inch portable Garmin GPS is much easier and 100% user friendly. I'm actually thinking to buy a newer Garmin hand held unit, put it on in place of my 2015 Tech nav screen. It does everything OEM does, and a whole lot more. Shows the street name I'm driving, what's coming then Bluetooth cell photne calling(of course quality is much worse). Free lifetime update.

Navigation in Acura vehicles is a joke, seriously. When choosing a used MDX, be sure you understand navigation is 99% useless. Buy a good base model.
I would call it only 70% useless. It’s good if the changes are more than 10 years old and you have AcuraLink on your phone.
It’s nostalgic to bring up subjects from years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts