Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bugging me for a while so I thought i'd see if anyone else encountered this to try and fix it. There is a strange noise coming from the dashboard or cluster. Sounds like a motor is trying to do something but not able to. This isn't the suspension because the car isn't moving, and it isnt the engine.

I recorded this video and amplified the audio. Check it out and i'd love any info as to what this might be and how I can fix it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hard to be sure but sounds like a blend door actuator hunting sound. there are temp control, recirculate, and mode control actuators, but temp control is most frequent failure. Numerous posts on repair and replacement.

good luck

·
Registered
894 Posts
+1 for one of those motors. In my case on my Ody it was the temp control motor which is on the drivers side and that it the most likely culprit if it sounds like the noise is right behind the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it sounds like it is coming from behind the cluster. I don't have any problems adjusting the temperature control...at least I don't think I do lol.

I can turn it hot or cold depending on what I need. Perhaps i'm just not noticing sub-par performance? It's annoying because when its really quiet that is all i hear.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have this sound from time to time as well. That's supposed to be the actuator motor that is responsible to the air flow by opening and closing them. It only appears rarely, but it is very annoying, I agree!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try rebooting the control computer by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. You will have to re-code the radio, and probably do a power window and idle speed relearn afterwards.

·
Registered
894 Posts
yeah it sounds like it is coming from behind the cluster. I don't have any problems adjusting the temperature control...at least I don't think I do lol.

I can turn it hot or cold depending on what I need. Perhaps i'm just not noticing sub-par performance? It's annoying because when its really quiet that is all i hear.
This time of year it is easier for temp control performance to be masked by the fact that we don't have overly hot or cold weather, but if you experiment with raising or lowering the temp you will find a point at which the noise stops because it senses that the temp control door is in the right position for the temp setting. It's almost as if (maybe really is) the motor has a dead spot in it, is trying to, but can't make the adjustment the head unit is calling for.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You won't notice anything from temp set point but actuator gives false feedback to controller which continues to try to achieve the desired setting. Noise is the actuator "hunting" back and forth.

There can be mechanical faults that cause a buzzing sound from actuator.

good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can almost guarantee that it’s your actuator motor. I took mine apart, cleaned and lubed everything with new grease. The noise is annoying and to someone who are not mechanically incline, it can be worrisome in that they might think it’s a bigger problem than what it is. This actually helped me out when buying my X. The seller had spent over 3k in maintenance and having the dealership trying to diagnose the problem prior to selling it for very cheap.

The noise hasn’t returned but now I’m hearing noises coming from the fan. The car is almost 11 years old now so over time things will need cleaned and regreased as they dry up.... atleast that’s what I’m hoping it is lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
It the actuator that is hunting for the position. I fixed mine. It's located right above the gas pedal. You can actually see it with flash light. There is a video that is posted related to AC mix door not functioning (hot air on driver side and cold air on passenger side).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
This has been bugging me for a while so I thought i'd see if anyone else encountered this to try and fix it. There is a strange noise coming from the dashboard or cluster. Sounds like a motor is trying to do something but not able to. This isn't the suspension because the car isn't moving, and it isnt the engine.
don't know if you've already addressed this issue (I will be addressing it this Spring/Summer 2019)- but here is the very useful thread that will help you address this issue! :29:

DIY: Air mix motor repair
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/154986-diy-air-mix-motor-repair.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts