Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 54k miles on my 2014 SH-AWD Tech I had the atf exchange done as part of the prompted A123 service at Honda (Acura is an hour away). Initially the shifts seemed smoother but it wasn't shifting poorly prior so maybe placebo effect. The next day I drove to a city 350 miles away and once arriving, I noticed a noise intermittently coming from the front of the car, mostly toward the driver side.

The noise sounds like a burst of wind hitting the car or if you drove through a puddle and it splashed the underside of the car/splahsguard (although not as loud, just a similar sound). There is a similar sort of resistance feeling as if it wind hit the car but no real change in rpm. And it always happens at 1400-1700 RPM. Doesn't seem to matter the speed/gear as I can get it to do it by holding steady around 1500 while going 60mph or 25mph. It will do it once every 30-60 seconds if you maintain that rpm. Never heard it do it above 2k rpm.

Also, the car is shifting noticeably rougher, particularly from gears 2-3. Downshifts have always been more noticeable but the low speed downshifts are even jerkier than before. Another thing too is that when accelerating normally, after the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it loses rpms briefly even while gaining speed. Almost like the tach is going in reverse for 200-400 rpms before it corrects.

Again, all of this since the atf change. I took it to honda and they couldn't figure hear the noise (I had the shop foreman ride with me but he said his hearing is bad so I'm not sure why they bothered sending him) and gave me the generic "its normal for shifts to feel different after atf change."

I'm planning on taking to Acura in the next 10 days but was hopeful some of y'all might have some experience with similar issues so I don't drive an hour only to have Acura tell me its normal (its def not normal).

·
Registered
162 Posts
yes, check for under/over fill on trans.. it can make a difference

I presume the Honda dealer used the DFW-1 .. same as Acura..

you may have to deal with them in order to rectify this..since they did the work, hard of hearing advisers not withstanding..... ;)

[as a side note.. i did my trans drain&fill X2, this spring with non OEM fluid, and my trans seems to be quite happy...]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, check for under/over fill on trans.. it can make a difference

I presume the Honda dealer used the DFW-1 .. same as Acura..

you may have to deal with them in order to rectify this..since they did the work, hard of hearing advisers not withstanding..... ;)

[as a side note.. i did my trans drain&fill X2, this spring with non OEM fluid, and my trans seems to be quite happy...]
Honda said they checked it when I brought it back in. Its under warranty for another 5K miles thru Acura and lifetime powertrain from the dealer I bought it from (Toyota dealer) but its irritating me. I know the torque converters on these things are problematic too.

So that noise could potentially be caused by the fluid level? Seems so odd for it to be just at 1500 rpm if that were the case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this is a long shot but I would also check to make sure the ATF fill plug on the top of the transmission is there, tightened, and not leaking... although, ATF smell is pretty strong and if it was leaking or spraying from there I think you would have already been able to smell it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a similar conversation on another board... [as I understand this individual is an Acura technician... FWIW]

"We are having lots of problems with trans fluid on the 13 MDX, cause is overheated fluid, but I guess you know about that already. We used to replace the torque converters before they figured out it is a fluid problem. We do the 3x3 flush to temporarily fix it. We use Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic here at the dealer."

so knowing this.. I used PetroCanada Duradrive synth ATF..... in both my Acuras.... very pleased so far.
.. my TL's trans was SCREAMING with the Castrol synth ATF... I DONT recommend it... for some reason Val Maxlife is tough to find in my area...
j.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is a long shot but I would also check to make sure the ATF fill plug on the top of the transmission is there, tightened, and not leaking... although, ATF smell is pretty strong and if it was leaking or spraying from there I think you would have already been able to smell it.
Yeah I've checked and there is definitely no leaking or smells. I guess the strangest part to me is the noise happening with steady rpm and not at shift points.

I've noticed that I think under normal acceleration it seems like the transmission is shifting too soon and getting me out of the power band. Almost like its lugging (not that extreme) the engine due to very low rpms. Its fine under brisk acceleration or in sport mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
....the noise happening with steady rpm and not at shift points...
Maybe it's not the transmission... I know you said it started after the transmission service but maybe the tech knocked the air intake hose off or something like that... I would definitely do a detailed visual inspection under the hood. Years ago I had a Mazda that started having similar symptoms but since it had manual transmission I knew it had to be something else... turned out the rubber accordion-like intake hose was torn on the bottom side where I could not see it and was leaking air. Could be something as simple as that in your X too. Good luck either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts