Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange call from Honda of America's head office last night. First of all I have no idea how they got my number. In any case, this lady in a very nice form, requested the list of all of our members, with their emails and IP addresses!!! This cought me by surprise, so I started asking questions, why and for what purpose. She explained to me that they want to do direct advertising by sending messages directly to member's PCs. Being a techie myself, I started questioning their ability to do that, but she assured me that they have the technology.

I of course said no, stating that privacy of our members is really important to me. But get this, she starting to twist my arm, at times even threating me, saying that, ".. by the way, some of our lawyers are dieing to talk to you to discuss certain aspects of your website". I'm at a loss. What do I do?

Here is another thing. She actually started naming some members that she would like to get emails for, more urgently than others. She actually sent me the list of about 20 members!!! When I asked why, she said she could't say. What the hell is going on?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Sounds like we need a lawyer, Laborlitigator where are you?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, it was always know that Honda/Acura coporate was monitoring some forums regarding their cars. Guess now they are taking it up a notch and actually trying to contact members. I know in some BMW forums, BMW corporate does the same thing and actually posts on the forums and contacts member regarding their problems after reading their posts. IMO, I would call Honda/Acura corporate and try to get some more info. about the reason.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Big Brother is alive!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Not all negative IMHO, at least now we know for sure that this site is being monitored by Acura.

I would not mind if they had my email but to give them all members email address's would not be right. If do you give them information make it voluntary, no unsolicited Spam.

It would be interesting to see which members they are interested in. TheRobSJ is long gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if they're so hip on getting our info and input, why don't they just join the forum.. It's not like it costs anything, and they'll probably make more freinds/customers by 'playing nice' than by forcing a VERY VALUABLE resource and community like this to conform/shut down.

They certainly will be pissing off a LARGE number of loyal Acura owners if they start with the lawyer B.S.

-jason-

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
using explorer, if I go to tools, show related links, on the left side of my screen, I get your name, address and phone number, maybe that's where she got the information from to call you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmmm

I'd get the job title of the person in question and also the name, number, email and title of their superior. Make contact to verify claims and perhaps make a couple of inquiries higher up.

OverTime

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If they want to email a member or members, that is easily accomplished using the "email" button under everyone's post or in the member listing.

Sending messages directly to a PC? IP addies? Yea, right. Because everyone's got a static IP and no one browses through a proxy server. LOL.

I know you won't give out our email addies, etc, but you should ask her how much $ she is authorized to offer you, just for kicks :)

Then tell her to pound salt. Unless she's hot...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I am sure most people use DHCP when connect to internet. Nowaday, not many ISP gives static IP on their services. But of course, if you use a router or you know how, you could always try to grab the same IP address.

Yup, it is weird they want people's email address and IPs. Especially on certain people's. They could always pm/email those people on the forum, couldn't they? :confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you sure she is from Honda? From what you described, it sounds like some external marketer trying to get at either members' computers or their email from target spamming. Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to do a search for those on the list she gave you to see if it's a particular problem and/or concern they have asked. Are they all senior members?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fight the Power

Any member can log onto this site and E-mail another person. It seems fairly simple that if they really want to contact members they can join and email away!

She explained to me that they want to do direct advertising by sending messages directly to member's PCs.
Since they want to create a massive SPAM list, it would seem like they are on shaky legal ground to force you to do anything. (Otherwise you would have been contacted by their lawyers)
By the way, you don't need peoples IP addresses for a spam list.

I would tell them to come to my house and POUND SALT but I already had that done Saturday. To create the salt rock finish on my pool deck they poured concrete and after it dried a little they threw large pieces of salt on it and pounded it into the concrete. :4:
Who ever called you from Honda can come to my house today and wash the salt off!
Keep us up to date.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Sell 'em!

Admin - this is your big chance - I'd offer to sell the list for a tidy sum. Think about it - a list of high end car buyers, mostly professionals, probably buy lots of high end audio & video gear etc. This list could be worth a small fortune.

Since Honda could pay someone to manually go through the site, the profits might as well go to you! And I know the members wouldn't begrudge you getting some extra cash after all your hard work.

Go for it!
Ghost

·
Registered
37 Posts
The best way for "them" to contact any member is directly through acuramdx.org. This actually could be very effective, especially if it is a real Honda contact -- they can hear our complaints as well as praises. However, no personal information should be given out. If it is already publcly available through this website, we should either find a way to close the loop or be willing to live with that access.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If Acura wants to communicate with us, it can respond to the issues/problems that are posted here.

If Acura is truly involved in this intimidation, they had better knock it off and apologize. If not, this will be the last time I will buy a product made by Honda. I hate bullyboy tactics.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is very strange. By the nature of the request I do not think that they want to harvest the email addresses for SPAM. It seems to me like they need to find out who are the people behind the screen names. That would explain the request for the Screen Name -> IP Address. Once they get the IP address legally they can force the target ISP’s to give them the names of the people that were using them. DHCP (dynamic IP assignment) will not help since most ISP’s keep the logs. I remember similar case that involved Yahoo message boards…

In most cases where I saw this it involved the legal action of company against individuals…

Indeed very strange… :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
dan...

Let me guess now, do they (Honda) want the name of the person who claimed they knew a former saleman with Acura in Montreal who was selling new MDXs to US residents?

·
Administrator
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I feel like we live in a world run by television, and media in general. Our thoughts are constantly preoccupied with current events, we hear about them 24 hours a day, we read about them in newspapers and on the internet. Sometimes, we forget to lighten up, smile and have a laugh.

Hmmm, I'm having trouble remembering today's date.... (duck!)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Classic, Daniel. You are to be congratulated on a first-rate prank.

I'm kind of hoping one or two of the replies were pranks, too...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts