Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Acura MDX

My drivers side air has started blowing mostly warm air. The passenger side is cooler, but not cold. Rear AC is cold as should be. Here are the actual temps on “Lo”: Drivers: 84, Passengers: 73, Rear: 58. All of them will go very hot if temperature increased. Have verified proper motion on both of the air mix motors for Driver and Passenger. Even took the driver side off and operated the cables manually- cables moved freely but no difference than with it connected. Checked AC refrigerant and pressure read normal. System would not accept any more that I could tell based on gague.

Sure could use some advice/ideas.

Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don’t quote me 100% on this, but I think I read a while ago that there is a valve that opens or closes depending on the settings. This valve lets coolant pass to the heater core. If that’s true, maybe check that out, cause it could be stuck open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Acura MDX Sport
102 Posts
I had this same issue. I had my shop empty then refill the system and add a dye to look for leakage.
Its been working fine ever since and no leakage.

Service News 12070A

If the left dashboard side vent is warmer than the right side vent with the A/C on, chances are the
evaporator core isn’t being flooded with enough liquid refrigerant, causing it to fully vaporize halfway
through the core. As a result, the side of the core with some refrigerant (the right duct) stays cold, while the side that’s fully vaporized (the driver’s duct) is warmer by about 20 degrees (or more in some cases).

The most likely cause for this problem is a low refrigerant charge, possibly from a leak. Another culprit
might be a restricted line or component that’s cutting the flow of liquid refrigerant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 08 MDX I experienced the same problem for 1 or 2 years. I repeatedly had my mechanic recharge the system with his ac machine... it worked for a bit, but again the driver side would blow hot air instead of cold AC air. He tested the system with dye and zero leaks detected.

Eventually I started hearing a frog like noise or grinding noise from under the driver side dash. The noise came from behind the OBD plug. I got down under the steering wheel and noticed an air con. vent valve was in fact making the noise. It is an easy replace ......and Boom my driver side now has cold air consostently!!!! Below is the part you need. It's called a fesh air/aircon recirculating motor assembly.

My honda/acura mechanic didnt know about it.....so get in there and get your own. :)

I order parts from OEmAcura out of peoria, AZ; the online parts dude is hella knowledgable. No I dont work for them nor get any kickback. Just throwing fellow diyers a bone for a great source

Motor Assembly, Temp Dr - Acura (79160-SZA-305)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, refills only work so much, and then the intervals get shorter and shorter until it only holds a charge for a day or two, after which you WILL find leaks.
My '07 MDX had this problem (driver warm :cautious: - passenger cold 😄) last summer ('21) and after losing a full charge twice in two days, I put A/C dye and found multiple sources of leaks: rear evaporator, condenser, compressor hoses - fittings.
This summer (or is it still spring of 2022 :unsure:) I replaced everything at once and as standard: evacuate, check for leaks, refill according to a specs with refrigirant and compressor oil. It's blowing cold air everywhere now.
I can assume it's a BIG price at auto shops to do this, but I am DIYer forever!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts