Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member a 2015 MDX. What's the best way to store an MDX while traveling for a few weeks? The battery was dead after leaving it in the garage for almost four weeks. Here are the possibilities (and pros and cons) that I know of:

1. Find someone trustworthy and hire them to start the car and run it for a few minutes each week. Only downside is cost and being sure person is trustworthy.
2. Connect a trickle charger and hope that the hydrogen gas buildup in the garage does not explode.
3. Disconnect the battery and lose the presets, memory settings, clock, etc.
4. Never travel for more than 10 days.

Any other options?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The most I've gone was 14 days away from home. I just put the other two vehicles (TSX and RDX) in the garage on a battery chargers during that time. I just washed them, check tire PSI, cracked the windows, topped off any fluids, and top the off with gas so they would be ready to roll once I got back home. If I was going to leave them for more that 30 days, I think I would change the engine oil if I was close to 30% or less, think about a some type of Sta-bil fuel additive, and debate weather or not to use jack stands or over inflate the tires (prevent flat spots).

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've never had any issues with 2-3 weeks myself. I'm not sure that short of a time needs anything special.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If just for a few weeks, connect a trickle charger. Nothing else. If for over a month, then in addition, I would ensure that the fuel if full, add Stabil (fuel stabilizer) and increase the tire pressure. Don't start the car and run it for a few minutes each week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
...1. Find someone trustworthy and hire them to start the car and run it for a few minutes each week. ...
This is a great idea, but only IF the car is actually driven enough to get it fully warmed up.

If only run for a few minutes while parked, the battery may not even get recharged enough to make up for the lose while starting.

Driving the car will fully warm up the engine and transmission, drive off moisture, re-spread the lubricants, and flex the tires and suspension.

The second best option is a trickle charger on the battery.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you get a charger, make sure it's labeled a "battery maintainer". These units feature more sophisticated electronic controls and are gentler on the batteries they're connected to. They will not overcharge. I use Battery Tender Plus. The Plus means it's OK to use with AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries. I know current MDX's use AGM batteries. I use 3 of them - one on motorcycle, one on a Corvette, and another on my lawn tractor - all vehicles that aren't used a good portion of the year. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The battery was dead after leaving it in the garage for almost four weeks.
It's so exceedingly simple for the system to have logic to prevent this that it's a shame this ever happens. The vehicle manufacturers know they have a certain non-operational residual drain on the battery so they could simply shut down that drain after some time when they detect the battery's being discharged too much in order to preserve the ability for it to start.

I've never had a non-starting issue with my 2014 MDX (almost 4 years old now) but I don't think I've ever left it for more than a couple of weeks. I agree with the points above to be careful about using anything more than a reasonably smart trickle charger and to not have someone start it for just a couple of minutes since that could use more power than it generates in such a short time.

The other thing to to is just be aware that the battery could go dead if left for a long time and make sure you have a battery charger on hand to simply charge it back up in the event it doesn't start - at a convenient time as opposed to when you're in a hurry to get somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts