Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know an installer for the clear bra in Virginia? Preferably South VA, Norfolk area!:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Call 3M at this number and they will give you the name of the nearest installer. It's the exact same film as the Stonegard, costs half as much to have installed and covers more area on the MDX. http://www.clearmask.com./ You can do the Stongard Lights yourself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a 3M clear bra installed, and was not happy with the way it turned out. It had a lot of texture in it. So My installer (Richard Anstadt of BODY-SKINS INC.) took it off and put on an AVERY DENNISON Stoneshield. It is much smoother and less noticeable.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Could you post a pic of it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll post one when it stops raining here! It's also gotten cold so the car has not been washed or Zaino'd in about a month so no cracks about the appearance please!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Clear Bra

Your installer didn't put the 3M bra on properly!If he had it would have been smooth.I have the 3M on my 2002 Caravan and you can't tell its on.The Avery product is NOT clear coated and will scratch much easier than the 3M product.
Hope it works out for you.
Tom

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your installer didn't put the 3M bra on properly!If he had it would have been smooth
Not sure why you think mine isn't smooth, maybe the line about "cracks?" Anyway you can't see mine either unless you get about a foot away and find the edge or are looking from the rear of the car forward which makes it easier to find the edge. They're not full proof though. Something did hit mine and put a tiny hole the size of a pin through the bra and into the paint. Believe it or not I think it was an acorn while the car was parked under a huge live oak tree.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Textured Clear Bra

I was interpreting your "textured" comment as not being smooth.The film should resist pea gravel at 75 miles per hour!I'm suprised you got a pucture from an acorn especially if your X was parked?
Tom

·
Registered
331 Posts
Something is wrong if a falling acorn punctures the 3M material. I've had it on the front of my motor coach for 3 years and I don't have even a small nick yet. That's 35k+ miles at mostly hiway speeds (up to 80 mph).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Acorn puncture in the clear bra

Lance I think he was talking about the Avery product getting punctured.I'm suprised that something that small would puncture the film,however I have not seen the Avery film.I do know that clear coat is important in that it provides UV protection abrasion protection and adds to the mil thickness of the film so would provide a stronger barrier.
Tom:4:
I went back and reread the posts and it was jatharp not E.fudd that switched to the Avery product.Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't have the Avery product I have the 3M Clearmask and yes it does have a tiny and I mean tiny puncture. It's about the size of a pin head and is a perfectly round dot. You can feel it with your finger and see the tiny nick in the paint under the mask. I don't know where it came from. Could have been from driving but no one noticed anything hitting the hood while driving. It's at the upper part of the mask as well which is about a 1/4 of the way up the hood. My wife had been parking under a large live oak every day and the acorns do have a very sharp point right on the bottom which is why I suspect an acorn but I have no idea if it really was an acorn lol. I have no idea how much force an acorn falling from 100' would generate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have photos of the ClearMask but can't follow the instructions to post them. How do I create and http link? Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All right trying again after searching the forum

This should be the Clearmask and Stongard light from about 3 feet away. That is not the bra near the front of the hood it is a reflection. It comes to within about 1/8 of an inch to the front of the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Front view from about 6 feet. Can't see it unless you really look for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oops. Here's the last picture. The mask also covers all of the front bumper, front and top, part of the front quarter panels, the faces of the mirrors and inside the door cups.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks like you have a large gap at the very front of the hood that is not covered, My Avery goes all the way to the front edge of the hood, also have had the fender ends, front bumper, mirrors, under door handles and around gas door done wit the Avery material.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts