Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago I pulled up to a light and smelled some exhaust from someone, I got a newer car, so it couldn't be me, and when I looked around, there was nobody else on the road (late at night) and at the same time, my gas mileage has been very low (again) I'm averageing about 12-13 in city and highway mixed driving, about 60 city 40 highway. Since then I've had the exhaust smell a few times, plus a smell of burnt wood, like froma fireplace. It could be just my imagination running away with me, but on a recent trip from Michigan, about 200 miles, my average trip mpg was not more than 16. and that's running about 75 the whole way.

Any thoughts?

DBastian

·
Registered
40 Posts
EXHAUST FUMES & GAS MILEAGE

Hi DBastian,
What type of octane fuel are you using over there?
I've been using 91 octane here in California.
Rafael.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually use 89 or 91 octone, but it's the same as I've always used. I can't understand why it would suddenly change when nothing else did.

DBastian

·
Registered
40 Posts
EXHAUST & MILEAGE

Hi DBastian,
What year and total mileage is your vehicle?
Rafael.:)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
dbastian said:
I usually use 89 or 91 octone, but it's the same as I've always used. I can't understand why it would suddenly change when nothing else did.

DBastian
DBastian-

the MDX is an ULEV(Ultra Low Emmisions Vehicle) the Drivers manual specifically STATES that you HAVE to use 91 Octane ONLY. using anything lower can void your warranty and cause the vehicle to stall and not process raw fuel efficiciently. What you are smelling is most likely from using bad grade gas or using 89 octane.

I recommend using Chevron 91, Arco 91 or Exxon 91.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
91 octane isn't available around here; it's 87, 89, or 93. The MDX is perfectly happy with 93. My guess is, however, that it will run well with lower octanes, but with less power due to its ping sensor cutting back on the ignition timing. I believe that the smelly exhaust is a PROBLEM, and it ought to go back to the dealer ASAP. It should be covered under the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No, it RECOMMENDS 91 but states that 87 or higher is acceptable but with slightly lower performance. Using 87 will not void the warranty nor will it cause stalling, bad smells, "fuel preprocessing" problems or tax audits. The only difference is that the ECM will slightly retard the spark advance to compensate for the lower octane rating.

Fireblade6 said:

DBastian-

the MDX is an ULEV(Ultra Low Emmisions Vehicle) the Drivers manual specifically STATES that you HAVE to use 91 Octane ONLY. using anything lower can void your warranty and cause the vehicle to stall and not process raw fuel efficiciently. What you are smelling is most likely from using bad grade gas or using 89 octane.

I recommend using Chevron 91, Arco 91 or Exxon 91.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll normally use 87 and every fourth or fifth time put in some 91. Doesn't seem to make a bit of difference in performance. City driving nets 18+ hiway 22+ with either grade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had a similar odor upon returning from a recent 250 mile trip. I popped the hood and had a small plume of smoke from the front valve cover area. Took it in and they found a split valve cover gasket, replaced under warranty of course.

No gas mileage problem to report, so maybe you have multiple but unrelated problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You should definitely take your MDX in for service. It does not matter what type of gas you're using. You should not be smelling anything like you describe. I doubt that it's exhaust also, if you're smelling at a stop. More like something from the front. Open your hood and see if you smell anything. Check oil level and take it to your Acura service ASAP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree it is exhaust - have noticed it on ours. It is a very very foul smell. We run either 91 or 93 octane we are at 12K mi.
get 18mpg with mix 50%city -50%hwy. Does anyone else notice? Is it a fixable "problem"?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
MaD-X said:
You should definitely take your MDX in for service. It does not matter what type of gas you're using.

I agree, the days of smelling sulfur from a exhaust are over, anything like this needs to be looked at now. Maybe your cat might have something wrong with it.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
GAS MILEAGE AND SMELL

I'VE HAD EXCELLENT ON MY 2002 WITH 4500 MILES ON IT. I'VE BEEN AT WORST WITH A LEAD FOOT 12 MPG ON AVERAGE 15-17 MPG AND THE HIGHWAYS DEPENDING ON SPEED 18-19 HIGH SPEEDS AND CRUSING AT 22-24 MPG.
THE SMELL CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR DROVE OVER SOME TYPE OF PLASTIC THAT MAY HAVE STUCK TO THE EXHAUST SYSTEM. I'VE HAD THIS HAPPEN AND THE SMELL CAN LAST FOR WEEKS UNTIL ALL THE RESIDUE BURNS OFF. THIS HAPPEN VERY OFTEN DRIVING.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts