Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

stiff suspension?

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  diblon 
#1 ·
I just test drove 2 X's back to back. The 1st X was a base model and just got off the truck and only had 10 miles. The 2nd one was a touring model and had 1200 miles. I feel the suspension of the 1st X is a littl bit stiffer than the 2nd one. Is it because the 2nd one had 1200 miles? Or is it becuase the 2nd one is a touring model? Any one had similiar feeling? Thanks.

#2 ·
First of all...

... I would like to welcome you to the forum.

Second of all my opinion on your question. I don't think there would be a difference in the suspension (I could be wrong), but as a vehicle gets used it loosens up. Everything on a new car is tight and as it get broke in then the suspension and engine loosens up that's why when you buy a vehicle the first few thousand miles you don't drive your vehicle at the same speed and treat it bad because it's important to break thevehicle in right to loosen things up.

I hope you can understand this. I'm so terrible at explaining things :rolleyes: . I know what I'm thinking, but I can't explain it the way I know it. But I hope this helps.

It just makes sense that a car with more miles would be looser than a car that is brand new.

#3 ·
All of the above?

Hey bzhang, welcome to our world.
The answer to your inquiry could be any number of factors. As far as I know, there's no difference in the suspension set-up between the base and touring models. There is a difference in the tires however, but I'm not sure how much the feel of the suspension is affected by either type of tire. More importantly, tire pressure plays a huge role in how the ride feels; it's a safe bet that the vehicle that just came "off the truck" had a higher tire pressure (rumor has it they're shipped from the factory that way to help with stability during delivery). Also, the suspension of the 'X (or any new car) will soften up and become more supple as it breaks in, something I've noticed in the 2000 miles since I first drove mine.

#4 ·
I thought that the X had somewhat of a stiff ride when I first purchased it. But now it seems very complient. I don't know if I'm just getting used to the ride or if the X is actually riding softer.

#5 ·
I suggest the difference is the tires. I took delivery of a base X the beginning of December. At 1400 miles I took off the Goodyears and put on Michelins. The ride is much better, quieter and seems to drive better.

The suspension is tight and you feel every little road irregularity thorough the steering. I think the steering could use a little dampening. Not enough to erase the road "feel" but to reduce the "vibration" that is transmitted to the steering wheel.

#6 ·
Tires and Tire Pressure

It is the tires that give a different ride the Michelin tend to give a smoother drive than the goodyear and the pressure can make a big difference try dropping to 29 psi when cold and drives much smoother!!!

#7 ·
As BostonX said.......

bzhang_3 said:
I just test drove 2 X's back to back. The 1st X was a base model and just got off the truck and only had 10 miles. The 2nd one was a touring model and had 1200 miles. I feel the suspension of the 1st X is a littl bit stiffer than the 2nd one. Is it because the 2nd one had 1200 miles? Or is it becuase the 2nd one is a touring model? Any one had similiar feeling? Thanks.
........I can almost "bet the Ranch" that the 1st MDX probably had a stiffer ride due to EXCESSIVE tire pressure!!!.....these vehicles are shipped from the factory with substantially more pressure than normal to prevent sidewall damage during transit, and many dealers are notorious for not adjusting them per the guidelines after delivery!!!........my 4-Runner was delivered to me with 48psi of pressure (32psi is the normal rating)....and I wondered why my truck rode like I was riding on a skateboard :mad: (as it is, the 4-runner rides very stiff.....so you can imagine what it felt like :rolleyes: ).....my bones are still trying to recoup from this wild odyssey :D

#8 ·
I've driven my MDX for a couple months now and was hoping the stiffness would decrease once it was broken in, but I haven't noticed much difference. I've checked my tire pressue and it's currently at 30psi (I'd better increase it to 32 tomorrow), but it's definitely not over pressurized. When I'm driving on some pretty bumpy freeways at about 75mph, I can feel the road vibrations in the steering wheel. I have to hold on with both hands just to feel in complete control. I drive my sister's 2000 Accord over the same freeway roads and it feels less bumpy and I don't have to hold the steering wheel with both hands. Maybe it's my inexperience with driving SUVs (this is the first one I've ever driven) but is the stiffness normal for SUVs since it has to be able to handle some offroad capabilities. I'm assuming it's smoother than most SUVs but a little stiffer than new sedans. Does anyone feel the same or am I just imagining all of this since I'm paranoid over my new MDX.

#9 ·
kpt 1 lower the pressure a little

If you drop the pressure to 29 psi when cold the drive will soften up alot. When the tires heat up they will go to 31-32 psi after driving about a mile. It made a huge difference on my 2002 MDX, especially when driving in NYC for me. I recently increased mine to 30 psi when cold and have gotten used to that, but oringinally the 29 psi worked for me. At 32 psi when cold it was much to hard a drive when hitting bumps. Try the the 29 psi first and let know how you like it. 29 psi is safe I had mine at over 100 mph numerious times and the tire didn't overheat or hurt the tire. Just make sure you increase pressure if carrying a heavy load.:D

#10 ·
I would have to agree with kpt_1, if there has been any one thing that I am surprised about with the MDX it has been the ride quality. I have had my 02 for a few months and love it, but probably was expecting that "luxury" car ride so often discussed. It certainly is stiffer than other Acura sedans. That being said, it still is as good as any other SUV I've driven. Perhaps it is just a case of expecting too much!

#11 ·
pokey lower pressure

I'll tell you guys again if lower the pressure it drives like a lincoln towncar up in the air. I drive on NYC road alot and the pressure makes all the difference in the world. Try it you will like!!!!!:D

#12 ·
I think that we have to take into consideration that we are driving a truck and not a car. The ride was not unexpected. It is that stiffness which makes the X handles so well.

#17 ·
I don't know how I stumbled onto this thread but it was the best thing I've done. I would have returned my 2014 MDX for the loud noise from the tire wells. I dreaded going over any little bump on the road. It was jarring. And it as all because of overinflated tires!!! Take my word for it, the earlier Post/comment about taking down the tire pressures to 29 psi was right on the money. I don't know what mine were but I deflated them to 29 psi, and VOILA. Unbelievable is all I could say! Smooth as a Cadillac. So if you are having the same problem just get yourself a tire pressure gauge and go to work. I have read several so called "professional" "expert" reviews on the MDX and unfortunately some groaned over the rough ride. ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS TAKE SOME AIR OFF THE TIRES!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.