Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2023 A-Spec / Had '06 Touring/Nav
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a newish oddity that I'm experiencing. Very rarely, maybe only 3 times over the last several weeks, when applying the brake before pushing the start button, the brake pedal is stiff. It's like it was pumped and so the very top (beginning) of the travel is firm. After starting, the brake depresses, feels, and behaves normally.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not really concerned but, it is odd. Since it's only happened a few times, I can't really relate it to any unusual steps or changes in the park and shut down process.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, how many of you just hit the engine stop button when you park instead of first hitting park? If you just shut the engine down, it automatically shifts to park from drive or reverse. I'm inclined to hit park as I've been putting cars in park for a few years (about 44) but, is this just another old school paradigm? Why not save a step and just hit "stop?"

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-SPEC
3 Posts
So I’ve had the hard brake pedal issue several times in my 2022 MDX. Also had the same issue in my 2019 MDX. I took the 2019 in to the dealer several times and they ended up replacing several components in the brake system. I haven’t taken this one in yet. The 2019 had a fully hydraulic braking system. This 2022 has the electronic braking I’ve been told (which I don’t really like). I find that I have to hold a ridiculous amount of pressure on the brake pedal at lights or in traffic to stop the car from creeping forward! I should take it in to have both issues addressed but the Acura dealers in my area suck so bad that every time I took my old MDX in for anything it was 7-10 days before I got it back. So I just keep putting it off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's a newish oddity that I'm experiencing. Very rarely, maybe only 3 times over the last several weeks, when applying the brake before pushing the start button, the brake pedal is stiff. It's like it was pumped and so the very top (beginning) of the travel is firm. After starting, the brake depresses, feels, and behaves normally.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not really concerned but, it is odd. Since it's only happened a few times, I can't really relate it to any unusual steps or changes in the park and shut down process.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, how many of you just hit the engine stop button when you park instead of first hitting park? If you just shut the engine down, it automatically shifts to park from drive or reverse. I'm inclined to hit park as I've been putting cars in park for a few years (about 44) but, is this just another old school paradigm? Why not save a step and just hit "stop?"
We experienced the stiff bake pedal problem quite often with our 2019 MDX FWD Advanced, and had to push really hard to get the Start button to function. We have not experienced it at all after 2,500 miles on 2023 MDX AWD Advanced (thankfully!). I also wondered if there was any downside to using the “Start” button only when parking, and skipping pressing the Park button. Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
225 Posts
To add to this, the MDX non-Type S has electric brake booster and the Type S has brake-by-wire.

Perhaps the "stiff" feeling sensation is because previous car most likely had a traditional vacuum brake booster and electric brake booster has a different feel @ startup

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To add to this, the MDX non-Type S has electric brake booster and the Type S has brake-by-wire.

Perhaps the "stiff" feeling sensation is because previous car most likely had a traditional vacuum brake booster and electric brake booster has a different feel @ startup
To clarify, the vast majority of the time, 100's of start ups, the brake is soft or, feels "normal." Intermittently, the brake is "stiff" right at the top. Unlike @JJS2807 even very light pressure on the stiff pedal allows the car to start. I haven't had to push hard in order to start the car.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
581 Posts
This is normal. It will correct itself upon start-up and have normal travel as you mentioned.

It happens randomly to me in my A-spec. Maybe once a month if not less. If you go sit in your car and pump it with your feet, after about 4 or 5 pumps it’ll stiffen up. This is vacuum escaping the systems (or something like that). So the described behavior of the pedal is the same but without reason. The important part is upon startup it goes back normal.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wonder how the electronic booster works. Typically this problem SCREAMS vacuum leak on the booster, but being electric I’m not so sure unless the electric part creates a vacuum rather than rely on the engine or traditional vacuum pump for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I've have my 18 mdx brake ''lock up'' like that. Just takes a real hard press to get it start, brake pedal feels like it's welded in place, totally solid feeling. I think it's tied into the parking brake system which I think is also closely related to brake hold. Sure feels the same. I never go to park on shutdown, I just hit the big button. I'm sure it reverts to park. Always restarts in park. I just love the brake hold, took me years to get wise to it. In fact I learned it right here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've have my 18 mdx brake ''lock up'' like that. Just takes a real hard press to get it start, brake pedal feels like it's welded in place, totally solid feeling. I think it's tied into the parking brake system which I think is also closely related to brake hold. Sure feels the same. I never go to park on shutdown, I just hit the big button. I'm sure it reverts to park. Always restarts in park. I just love the brake hold, took me years to get wise to it. In fact I learned it right here.
I don't have to press hard to start it. The sensor, proximity switch, transducer, whatever they are using, must sense the lightest touch in terms of allowing the start button to work so, no worries there.

Can you tell me more about brake hold from a practical application standpoint. I see the feature and have read a little about it but, I'm not sure when or where I would use it with my driving patterns. But, maybe I'm not seeing the forest through the trees.

So far, I've been hitting park prior to start/stop but, agree with you, since it automatically (electrically) shifts to park when hitting the start/stop button, why not skip the park step? I may go this route and see how it goes. It's an old paradigm to shift a car into park before shutting it down. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Brake Hold is a great feature when you are stuck on the interstate inching along behind miles of stop-and-go traffic. When activated, it allows you to take your foot off the brake and sit comfortably until you press the gas pedal, then will automatically brake again when you release the gas pedal. I did have to overcome a little "trust" issue the first time I used it!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did not use Brake Hold for over a year, but now I love it for intown driving and the long wait at stoplights. No more pressing on the brake pedal for a long time at stops. I always look at the dashboard and look for the Green Brake Hold outline to insure it is on. My only gripe is when I have been using it and pull in my garage and stop. Then later start the car to back up with the Break Hold on, the car seems to jump as it starts in reverse. This does not happen on normal stops going forward when applying the gas.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Brake Hold is a great feature when you are stuck on the interstate inching along behind miles of stop-and-go traffic. When activated, it allows you to take your foot off the brake and sit comfortably until you press the gas pedal, then will automatically brake again when you release the gas pedal. I did have to overcome a little "trust" issue the first time I used it!
Very cool. I didn't realize it worked that way. The adaptive cruise works pretty well but, gets a little too aggressive both accelerating and stopping for me. This seems like a perfect solution. I'll definitely be trying it. Thanks.

I did not use Brake Hold for over a year, but now I love it for intown driving and the long wait at stoplights. No more pressing on the brake pedal for a long time at stops. I always look at the dashboard and look for the Green Brake Hold outline to insure it is on. My only gripe is when I have been using it and pull in my garage and stop. Then later start the car to back up with the Break Hold on, the car seems to jump as it starts in reverse. This does not happen on normal stops going forward when applying the gas.
Another very practical use for the feature and, I suspect, what it primarily intended for. It makes perfect sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if the reverse "jump" with brake hold is just preload on the suspension going from fwd to rev. In other words, when you stop in the garage, the nose may dip a little and brake hold may be applied so suddenly the car hasn't had time to settle. Quirky and would probably bug me too.

By the way, MDX much? Ha, ha.. I noticed the history and wow, you've had all gens and multiples in some cases. Nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts

The brake pedal is stiff when the engine is not running - no power assist which we have when the engine is running - this is normal for any car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts