Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive my MDX, I have the steering wheel lowered to the lowest it can get, since I drive with my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel with my hands in my lap. Then I can't see the Speedometer.( from 20 mph to 80 mph) Does anybody eles have this problem? I would have to chang my driving habits to make this work, and we all know doing that is not the thing to do.( since this is the most comfortable way to drive)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes, i find that the wheel blocks some of the gauges when I drive-I blame it on myself because a more 'viewable' position is possible, I just choose to drive the way I do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:confused: This is still the most annoying feature of the X that I cannot get use to. All other vehicle's that I have driven had a lot more up & down travel in the stering wheel. Kinda like" Ice Cream", too many flavors drive you CRAZY.:21: :21:

·
Registered
738 Posts
joebergner said:
When I drive my MDX, I have the steering wheel lowered to the lowest it can get, since I drive with my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel with my hands in my lap. Then I can't see the Speedometer.( from 20 mph to 80 mph) Does anybody eles have this problem? I would have to chang my driving habits to make this work, and we all know doing that is not the thing to do.( since this is the most comfortable way to drive)
Cuz I'm kind of short, I always had my power seats at the highest setting to get a good view of the road around me. On the MDX, the gauges were blocked. After driving a low slung sedan for a while recently , I found that a lower sitting position was actually more comfortable, feels more like sitting in an easy chair than on a bar stool. Maybe you could try lowering the rear pivot of the seat just an inch or more, and reclining the backrest a little for a race car feel, perhaps you'll get a better angle at the gauges. The MDX sits high enough to get a good view anyhow, and with the middle right headrest removed I have clear sight of the blind spot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Steering Wheel Blocks View

I've had my X for a year now and had the same experience. When I first got it I immediately started driving with the steering wheel at it's lowest position (like I was doing with my previous car).

The first thing I noticed, and didn't like, was the lever for adjusting the steering wheel (actually noticed it on my test drive but was so enamored with everything else about the X that this was a trivial thing in the buying decision). My previous cars all had a "stick lever" that you simply pulled back, put the wheel in position and then "let go" to lock it in.

I'm sure it's all in what you're used to but I found it cumbersome in the MDX to have to pull the lever down, find your comfort position and push the lever back to lock it in.

Which brings me to the theme of this thread. I too noticed that when I had the wheel at the lowest position (again, also what I was used to in previous cars) I couldn't see the gauges. Especially the MPH gauge which can be dangerous (speeding-ticket-wise) when your driving in areas that the speed limit changes often. I tried to live with it but it became slightly "stressful". And it didn't make sense to have to contort my neck downward to see how fast I was going (probably more dangerous collision-wise).

The bottom line is that I now simply leave the steering wheel in the highest position and have gotten used to it. That way both issues (the cumbersome lever and not seeing the gauges) are now non-issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts