Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find any information, so here goes:

I have a 2002 MDX and noticed that the 2003 has a more usable steering wheel audio control (mute, prev, next, etc). Does anyone know if the 2003 controls can be retrofitted to work on a 2002 model?

Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
285 Posts
that would be great...

but it might involve some rewiring and probably would raise some warranty issue...

also there's the concern about the cheapish look of the 2003 wheel-mounted control buttons...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Have you confirmed that the steering wheel controls do all those functions? Can someone with an 03 confirm that pwglicks obserervations are correct? I sat in one and have looked at the steering wheel controls and from what I can see you can indeed change between cd, radio and adjust volume up/down. I am only going by what is written on the steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hello people with an 03'. Could you provide some insight into the radio controls on the steering wheel? PWGLICK asked a question and just wondering why noone anwered? I am curious myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Remember, the 2003 in the picutre posted has the Nav system. Without Nav, you don't get the "back" or "mute" button. I think both are used with the voice activated Nav. Also, the buttons on the 2003 are a slightly different shape, so I doubt they could be retrofitted.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Why would the shape of the buttons matter? ... steering wheel geometry (size, shape, spokes, etc) looks the same to me.

Since there are "buttons on the radio" that do the same stuff, there may be a chance that it would work, then again, maybe not (guess this would depend on the "remote control plug" on the back of the 02 radio (e.g. was it designed for the additional functionality)? Don't think you want to be taking the radio apart to modify it!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know what the '02s do but my `03 does not have nav and my wheel does not have the back (mute) button. I can thumb through the presets, change mode and adjust the volume. I am guessing that the 'ch' will also change cd tracks but I have not tried it yet. Only 100 miles so far!! Still learning.:20:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If I'm reading the '01-'02 Electrical Manual properly, there's only one connection from the steering wheel controls to the Audio Unit -- the wheel controls send various voltages to the Audio Unit, depending on which button is pushed. Since the '03 Audio Unit is different in appearance, it is likely also different in function. My gut feel is that the '03 buttons would not awaken any unknown functions in the '01-'02 Audio Units, and they might not even work with the earlier radios, especially if the resistor values in the steering wheel control module have been changed to allow more / different functions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the three (3) things that the 2002 Stereo control can do:

- Up Volume
- Down Volume
- Next (track, station, etc)

For comparison, in my wife's Toyota Sienna (in addition to the features above):
-Mute
-Change function (radio, cd, tape)
-Previous track

For me this is a minor safety issue, I do find that I'm using the (direct) radio controls more than the steering wheel controls due to the limited functionality.

All in all, this is probably my only issue with my MDX.

Phil

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Thats what I figured. The cheap a$#holes at Acura couldn't put full functionality on the steering wheel could they. Once you start using steering wheel controls you realize how convenient they are. Acura if you are listening, Cars half the amount of the X have better controls. I still shake my head when I got to fip through 5 presets to get back to the same station or flip through 14 tracks to get back to a song if you feel like listening to it. (No I am not that lazy and indeed undo seat belt and sprawl out across the center console to press the +/- buttons.)I find it easier to ask passenger to press the +/- buttons cause they are closer to them. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH.:)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
IMHO, Honda/Acura specialty is engine engineering (e.g. new Accord V6 w 240 hp running on regular). They really seem to be into engines.

Again, IMHO, Toyota/Lexus seems to be less advanced in engine design but seems to do a better job on ergonomics, features, better quality interior components, and overall build quality.

I know a lot of you don't like the Lexus RX but I think it is a great vehicle (and apparently, a lot of buyers do as well). To me, it is built better and has a better quality interior. Just look at the cabin sound level and you'll see what I mean. The RX is quiet. The MDX is getting quieter BUT Lexus is way ahead.

Just my observations .....

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Too many buttons on the steering wheel.

Got mad at someone who cut me off...... so I changed the radio station......instead of honking the horn.

:bonk: :bonk:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts