Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are receiving our MDX in the next few days. I have searched the Gallery forum but have not seen any good photos of white X's with either running boards or side steps. If anyone could post good photos, please PM me when you do. I would be grateful.

Thanks
Ken K

·
Registered
312 Posts
Me too, I'd like to see it. I've settled on chrome steps because they'll look much better than black steps or boards. If I could get white boards, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, if anyone has chrome steps, I would certainly be interested in seeing them, as well. I assume they would be made by Manik and I am interested to see just how far they protrude. I can understand the pros of having the steps protrude enough to get a good footing, but I can also surmise that there will be lots of dirt marks on my wife's and my pants if they protrude too far.

Thanks
Ken K

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's nighttime here, so this is the best I can do on short notice. My wife and I would not get the X without the running boards. I have seen several whites in town and couldn't figure out why I didn't like them. After seeing ours with the boards, that's when it hit me. A white X without boards is missing something. In our opinion, the running boards give the X that added rugged look, along with the roof rack, at least on the white X.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only_Acura,

Thanks for the post. If it is not terribly inconvenient, I would really appreciate it if you could take some photos in daylight so that we can see the running boards.

I am with you on the aesthetics. The white needs to be finished off between the doors and the street, and either the running board or the steps are a necessity.

Thanks in advance,
Ken K

·
Registered
53 Posts
marne's beauty

Here is a shot from the forum thread listed above. Hope marne doesn't mind that we show off the ride :D

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
black maniks on white X

Ken,

I just installed black Manik side steps on my white X. I really like the look it gave to my X. You are right that a white X needs either the running boards or side steps to offset the white color.

It took me a while to decide on the Maniks. I'm glad I did. I didn't like the way the oem running boards fitted onto the X. I wish that they were fitted onto the vehicle like you see on Toyota 4-runners, Ford suvs, Infinity/Nissan suvs (running boards look good on these vehicles). The oem side steps are too close to the vehicle to function well as a step, but they do give the X a sleeker look than the Maniks. Another big plus was that the Maniks cost me $207 , whereas the oem ones from Tim would cost $433.

The installation on the Maniks are also easier than the oem ones. (2 supporting brackets vs. 3 supporting brackets and less nuts & bolts). But, I did have a problem with the installation. When I opened the box with the Maniks, one side step was labeled for the right side of the vehicle and the other left side. NOW, which is the left side and right side of the vehicle? Do you determine this by looking from the front or back of the vehicle? Being a novice, I did not know, therefore I called Manik tech support. The main tech person was not available, so I had to talk to his associate. This turned out to be a mistake, because he told me that each side is determined by looking at the vehicle by standing in front of the vehicle. When I installed it according to this advice, I noticed that the steps didn't seem to be aligned right , although they were still functional. I looked at other Maniks on the website and discovered that I had installed mine on the wrong sides. I was pissed....I re-installed them and think I may have slightly stripped one of the bolts or screw, it took me a while to get it off. I believe that someone else also installed their Maniks wrong also (it is difficult for a layman to tell , these Maniks look very similar to each other).

Well, I'm very happy with the way they look on my X. Black gives a good contrast to the white.

A white X without accessories does look rather bland. I also installed: rear mud guards, body side mouldings, and front hood deflector. These all made the X look better. I especially liked the addition of the BSM. I'm still thinking about adding the sunroof visor (another dark accessory).

Hope this info helps. You will love the X....what a great vehicle...(not perfect, there are some things that can be improved, but overall, it's a fun vehicle to drive)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Side step/Running boards facts to consider

I also have a Taffita White MDx and have studied the OEM and the aftermarket steps. My peronal choice will be one of the factory setups because they are mounted tite to the side, are black and use 3 sturdy mounting brkts, 6 bolts on the frame-6 on the rocker area each side. I do not know if the Manik uses all the factory mounts but this is something you should consider. I do not need a step to enter my X because the seats are at an ideal height for me. My interest in this product is to protect the body from tire spray (the front mud flaps are not enough) and to offer additional side protection from shopping carts and the like. Hope this is of help, Harry

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: black maniks on white X

MARFONG said:
Ken,

... think I may have slightly stripped one of the bolts or screw, it took me a while to get it off. I believe that someone else also installed their Maniks wrong also (it is difficult for a layman to tell , these Maniks look very similar to each other).

This brings up a good point. Somewhere else it was mentioned that a couple of the bolts were possibly defective.
If might be worth it to take the time to run bolts through all the mouting holes as well as lock nuts, before you begin. Or if you have doubts, grab one and about $10 and head down to a Home Depot, etc. and buy better quality fastening hardware.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts