Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got new wheels/tires I started to get a vibration in the steering wheel when I go past 60mph. I re-checked the balance on the tires. Also had an alignment done within the past 6 months. The vibration comes and goes away I guess depending on the road surface. I'm thinking it could be worn suspension components. Will need to check control arms, cv axles, and tie rods.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it just started happening after wheels/tires then I'd be looking extra hard at those wheels/tires. Are they aftermarket wheels? Did you get GOOD tires?

If the wheel/tires really do check out, then have the alignment checked, and they should check the suspension components as part of that.

Reactions: voiddweller

·
Registered
338 Posts
Try swapping the wheels front to back and go for a ride.

This will change the vibration feel if the wheels/tires are the cause.

A couple of months ago, I had picked up about 7lbs of asphalt on one of my front tires and the MDX could not be driven up past 50 mph without a serious vibration in the steering wheel. (several days of over 40*C temps and parking on a fresh lot)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
These things are extremely particular about tire balance. You need a shop with a properly calibrated Hunter road-force wheel balancer and a tech that knows/cares about what they're doing. I bought a set at a nearby shop and they could NOT get them balanced. Took them to my preferred tire shop (an hour away at this point) and the old man had them balanced perfect within minutes. He told me "them there Acuras are picky [email protected]#$s...gotta do it just right". In summary: Find a better tire shop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
These things are extremely particular about tire balance. You need a shop with a properly calibrated Hunter road-force wheel balancer and a tech that knows/cares about what they're doing. I bought a set at a nearby shop and they could NOT get them balanced. Took them to my preferred tire shop (an hour away at this point) and the old man had them balanced perfect within minutes. He told me "them there Acuras are picky [email protected]#$s...gotta do it just right". In summary: Find a better tire shop.
This has been my exact expierence also, too many places are quick to blame it on “bad tires” because it gets them out of doing things properly any there’s no way for you to prove them wrong. Hate that ****.

If it appeared after new wheels and tires save your time it’s almost certainly not suspension related. Find a shop that will drive the car to warm the tires and IMMEDIATELY put it up for balance, a freshly calibrated machine and a good tech who can force match them is essential.

I’ve hurt some feelings calling local techs on sloppy procedure (imagine that lol). Just another thing that if I had any way of doing it myself I would.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm also thinking that it sounds like you have a balance related issue, since it began after the new wheels and tires were installed. Also second the idea to rotate the tires front to rear to see if it changes anything, and use a torque wrench to hand torque the lugs to the proper spec. If the steering wheel vibration goes away it is a tire/wheel combination that you moved to the rear axle. Many times balance issues on the rear axle can be seen by watching the passengers seat headrest at highway speeds, as it will vibrate, or can be felt in the seat of your pants.

Over the years I've also had vibration issues that turned out to be a bent wheel and warped brake rotors.

Those Hunter Road Force Balancers are amazing machines. Google "Hunter GSP 9700 for more info." They have a load roller that clamps down over the tire to replicate the weight of the vehicle to simulate the tire against the road surface. The machine will also check both the wheel and tire for high spots and test to see whether the high spot of the tire is mounted against the high spot of the wheel. If it is, it will tell the tech how far to rotate the tire for the best ride combination. Most times when I have had difficult to solve vibration related issues it is the high spot of the tire over the high spot of the wheel on one or more of the tires/wheels.

www.hunter.com/gsp9700 also has a zip code search engine to assist in locating shops with this balancer.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmm while mine not as bad, I did notice a little vibration over 60 mph after switching to Hankooks and I assumed that's the reason for the big price difference between Hankook and Michelin :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have LTX Premier michelin tires, I had the same thing. I replaced inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links and bushings. Turns out I needed to replace control arms/ball joints as well. All smooth now! 164k miles. I replaced the struts and shocks about a year ago. 07 Tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts