Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only time it squeaks, but it makes a pretty loud noise and does it pretty consistently. Anyone else have this problem? Looking to get some info before taking it to the dealership to have them look at it.

It's a 2014 MDX with about 33k miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
This is getting to be a pretty well known issue. The steering column gets replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Is there a service bulletin associated with this, or just a common problem?

I should note, this ONLY happens when I am turning the car off, not when turning the steering while while driving like I have seen posted in these forums a few times.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the same problem in my 2014 MDX. They replaced the steering column, as SuperTech mentioned.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is this becoz you have the "Easy Entry/Exit" enabled - the wheel will automatically move as you shut off or start the car? I turned mine off so I don't expect the wheel to move at all as I shut off the car. However, if the squeaks came from the steering column, then it would squeak every time as the wheel is being adjusted, right?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The grease that's in the steering column adjuster dries out and you hear it binding against the bushings when it tilt/telescopes.

There is a bulletin for the RLX which uses pretty much the same kind of steering column, but nothing for MDX.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Does the adjuster dry out regardless of use? I'm thinking if I leave easy entry/exit off, if it's still going to dry out with time and squeak later after warranty is over, I might as well keep using it and just replace the column as it gets closer to end of warranty.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
This is the only time it squeaks, but it makes a pretty loud noise and does it pretty consistently. Anyone else have this problem? Looking to get some info before taking it to the dealership to have them look at it.

It's a 2014 MDX with about 33k miles on it.

Thanks in advance!
I posted in another thread. My steering column is being replaced on Monday. When I posted it, I mentioned the parts were back ordered. No one else mentioned it. Guess I'm not alone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This happens to me when the steering wheel comes out and goes back in. it happens only when i leave the car in the sun (hot outside, above 75F), never happens in the cold/early morning. I could not reproduce it last time i was in the dealership for my service. i made the video of the noise but they did not believe me. They have to hear to believe it, I guess. This time around i left my MDX in the sun at work and drove directly to the dealership while they were about to close and had to reproduced the noise. i will hopefully get it fixed in my next visit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Started having this same issue when the steering wheel adjusts. I guess this is a known issue and I'll be taking it in to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Know this is old but did the dealership fix it for free?
If you do it under warranty (bumper to bumper) they will. If you do not, they will not do it for free (you can try asking Acura Client Relations for goodwill).

See TSB: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B18-033.PDF

That being said, it is an easy job for a DIYer, if you are the type. The parts are $500 (Genuine Kit, Column Assembly for 06532-TZ5-305 | Curry Acura), but you'll save $100/hr on labor doing it yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts