Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. I am new owner of my first Acura . MDX with Advance package, 2019 Canyon Bronze Metallic. Got it on June 27. I came out of my 4th consecutive Infiniti which was a 2016 QX60 fully loaded. Aside from slight slow window motor problem and a quirky front radar system that would be affected by any dirt or snow on the bumper, it was problem free. I didnt really like the car as i do the MDX. Well while driving my new Acura home i noticed immediately steering wheel shimmy at speeds over 50. The shimmy was worse up to 60 or so then diminished a little over 65. Also steppi g on the brakes slightly at highway speeds, there was a vibration. I knew it was warped front rotors, and probably, wheel balancing issues. I was very disappointed this being my first Acura. We have had 4 Honda CRVs with no problems. I had to wait over a week to bring it into dealer with a loaner. The dealer was so busy with MDX recall repairs , they had to rent a car from Enterprise. Never had that problem with my Infinitis. Anyway, they replaced the front brake rotors, brake vibratikn is gone. They rebalanced front wheels too. They should have rebalanced all the wheels - thats a short cut to save $$$$. I drive to work after picking up my car and the steering wheel shimmy js a little better but still moves the steeri g wheel with wiggle back and forth.

Brought the car back yesterday , drove wjth the tech who was very knowledgeable and expressed a concern that we will fix this. He felt it as he drived on the highway and also over speeds of 60 to 65. This is the bit of info i got from him that i did not know about the car. It has VCM modes in the engine. Dumming down the cyclinders to 2 or 4 from 6 depending on the travelling circumstances. That js nkt disclosed anywhere, for i did a lot of research as i always do on items i purchase. Not 1 Utube review video or google search ever proported this fact. To finish the situation, the tech suspected a fault in that system as the possible culprit of the shimmy. Im hoping NOT. I am also afraid that it may be a drive train issue- electric steering , tranny, etc.,. I am to bri g it bzck to the dealer - Acura of Westchester in Larchmont NY on the 19th . Get a loaner and this tech wants work o it with Acura people to get to the bottom of the issue before various parts are replaced. I am 68 years old, I have had many cars over my lifetime. I know car problems , so the shimmy could be from bad tire or tires,bent rim , or the dealer has poor wheel balancing equipment or my feared faulty drivetrain or VCM system. My car has the auto stop start system which at first was a nuisance to me but I have adapred to its use over the past month of use. But when AC is on and the engine shuts off, and restarts with your foot on the brake , it feels abrupt. Too harsh IMO. It actually jerks the car. When it works when you take your foot off the brake and accelerate, its fine. These issues have Not left a good taste in my mouth about the MDX. But I do like it its handling and SH AWD feature. Truth be k own, the QX 60 had CVT tranny which wax not bad, it emulated shifts pretty well, but it was almost instantly responsive. Compared to the 9AT in the MDX, it is more responsive, no real lag which is present in the MDX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everybody. I am new owner of my first Acura . MDX with Advance package, 2019 Canyon Bronze Metallic. Got it on June 27. I came out of my 4th consecutive Infiniti which was a 2016 QX60 fully loaded. Aside from slight slow window motor problem and a quirky front radar system that would be affected by any dirt or snow on the bumper, it was problem free. I didnt really like the car as i do the MDX. Well while driving my new Acura home i noticed immediately steering wheel shimmy at speeds over 50. The shimmy was worse up to 60 or so then diminished a little over 65. Also steppi g on the brakes slightly at highway speeds, there was a vibration. I knew it was warped front rotors, and probably, wheel balancing issues. I was very disappointed this being my first Acura. We have had 4 Honda CRVs with no problems. I had to wait over a week to bring it into dealer with a loaner. The dealer was so busy with MDX recall repairs , they had to rent a car from Enterprise. Never had that problem with my Infinitis. Anyway, they replaced the front brake rotors, brake vibratikn is gone. They rebalanced front wheels too. They should have rebalanced all the wheels - thats a short cut to save $$$$. I drive to work after picking up my car and the steering wheel shimmy js a little better but still moves the steeri g wheel with wiggle back and forth.

Brought the car back yesterday , drove wjth the tech who was very knowledgeable and expressed a concern that we will fix this. He felt it as he drived on the highway and also over speeds of 60 to 65. This is the bit of info i got from him that i did not know about the car. It has VCM modes in the engine. Dumming down the cyclinders to 2 or 4 from 6 depending on the travelling circumstances. That js nkt disclosed anywhere, for i did a lot of research as i always do on items i purchase. Not 1 Utube review video or google search ever proported this fact. To finish the situation, the tech suspected a fault in that system as the possible culprit of the shimmy. Im hoping NOT. I am also afraid that it may be a drive train issue- electric steering , tranny, etc.,. I am to bri g it bzck to the dealer - Acura of Westchester in Larchmont NY on the 19th . Get a loaner and this tech wants work o it with Acura people to get to the bottom of the issue before various parts are replaced. I am 68 years old, I have had many cars over my lifetime. I know car problems , so the shimmy could be from bad tire or tires,bent rim , or the dealer has poor wheel balancing equipment or my feared faulty drivetrain or VCM system. My car has the auto stop start system which at first was a nuisance to me but I have adapred to its use over the past month of use. But when AC is on and the engine shuts off, and restarts with your foot on the brake , it feels abrupt. Too harsh IMO. It actually jerks the car. When it works when you take your foot off the brake and accelerate, its fine. These issues have Not left a good taste in my mouth about the MDX. But I do like it its handling and SH AWD feature. Truth be k own, the QX 60 had CVT tranny which wax not bad, it emulated shifts pretty well, but it was almost instantly responsive. Compared to the 9AT in the MDX, it is more responsive, no real lag which is present in the MDX.
Sorry for some typos, using a Samsung tablet keyboard that can be a PIA with over sensitivity.:mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
Almatti
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing