Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping someone may have an answer to my brake problem. We bought a 2007 mdx a couple years ago with 132k miles on it. Love the vehicle and I have done work on it to fix various issues but I can not seem to fix the steering wheel from shaking when braking at high speeds. Here is the history: first attempt to stop the issue. I replaced the front rotors and pads with autozone’s duralast gold rotors and pads. The shaking went completely away for about 6 months, but then came back(only shakes when braking at high speeds). So I brought the rotors back to autozone for a new pair. I put the new pair on and the shaking stopped again for only 6 months then came back.

I am hypothesizing that the calipers may be going bad not evening applying pressure on the rotors?

or maybe the fluid needs to be replaced?

the pads are only 1 1/2 years older and have uneven wear (see picture)

in addition my brake pedal does feel a bit spongy.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A5CCEB41-B3C7-4CED-BCB8-48D4EE30617C.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
I had similar shaking issue during high speed brake with my 1st Gen MDX awhile back. The shaking problem resolved once the tires are rebalanced.

Reactions: Psirois

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the brake fluid should be replaced every 2-3 years. From your pictures looks like even pad wear. Just remember to clean and lube the caliper slide pins when doing new pads. The spongy brake pedal could be due to bad fluid/contaminated fluid. Use a good DOT3/4 fluid and you'll be good. I like to recommend DOT4 from FCPeuro since they have lifetime returns on fluids.

The issue is the pads are leaving deposits on the rotors causing the vibration. Switch to some pads that are more aggressive (won't leave deposits) or switch to a better brake rotor.

I'm using Centric Rotors (high carbon) from rockauto and using EBC Yellow pads on my MDX. No shaking for a very LONG time even with very hard braking. The brakes do dust more than stock and make a little noise but the additional stopping power is worth it.

Reactions: Psirois

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Rotors might be a problem too. I'm am still using factory rotors at 120k miles. I feel it's harder to find good rotors than pads.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I got 180K on the rear rotors of my MDX and replaced them since they were looking nasty/rough vs giving any sort of braking issues. It's the fronts that tend to warp and cause issues.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the brake fluid should be replaced every 2-3 years. From your pictures looks like even pad wear. Just remember to clean and lube the caliper slide pins when doing new pads. The spongy brake pedal could be due to bad fluid/contaminated fluid. Use a good DOT3/4 fluid and you'll be good. I like to recommend DOT4 from FCPeuro since they have lifetime returns on fluids.

The issue is the pads are leaving deposits on the rotors causing the vibration. Switch to some pads that are more aggressive (won't leave deposits) or switch to a better brake rotor.

I'm using Centric Rotors (high carbon) from rockauto and using EBC Yellow pads on my MDX. No shaking for a very LONG time even with very hard braking. The brakes do dust more than stock and make a little noise but the additional stopping power is worth it.
thank you for the response, I had lubricated the pins. I will for sure change out the fluid and try new rotors/pads. It is hard to tell in the picture but if you look closely the inner top left brake pad is half the width of the outer left pad. Is this considered normal. The right top inner pad on the right side is wearing similar. Just scared to replace rotors and pads just to have the noise come back again if the calipers are not working properly. 😬

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Shaking when braking usually means warped rotors. I found that aftermarket rotors available in Canada for a reasonable price (which is the same or lower than OEM) do not last more than 6 months before warping.

So I just installed OEM back in 2015 and forgot about any issues since then. It is the sixth year in with over 70K miles and measurements show that they are still at about 80% life.

Basically, it's a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaking when braking usually means warped rotors. I found that aftermarket rotors available in Canada for a reasonable price (which is the same or lower than OEM) do not last more than 6 months before warping.

So I just installed OEM back in 2015 and forgot about any issues since then. It is the sixth year in with over 70K miles and measurements show that they are still at about 80% life.

Basically, it's a no brainer for me.
That’s great information thank you

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Common issue with Acura vehicles leaving uneven pad material on rotors and it feels like a warped rotors. I had the same issues with the 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX. I upgraded my 11 MDX rotors and pads to HeelToe Stage II brake upgrade kit (Racing brake slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines and Carbotech 1521 pads). Not a hint of warping after 7 years and +110,000 miles. I didn't need to turn the rotors with new pads a few years ago.

It usually takes upgrading the pads and/or rotors to reduce or even eliminate that warping feeling with OEM brake set-up.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Where did you buy that? Do you have a link? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Where did you buy that? Do you have a link? Thanks!

I just looked on www.heeltoeauto.com and didn't see the Stage II brake kit I purchased back in 2014. The Racingbrake open slot brakes I have are still available.

Racingbrake open slot rotor, Carbontech 1521 pad, painted caliper, Conti DWS 06 255/45/20 tires, and RonJon Legacy Type II 20" rims.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You might find some helpful information here.......I had that WARPed rotor syndrome many times, until I got smart. Got tired of changing rotors every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
94 Posts

A mistake i have made... the slider pins will fit in the wrong holes, and everything will appear good to go. However if they are reversed, you will have symptoms of warped rotors.
Dont trust that the last guy used the book.
Use the book.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts