Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 15 MDX AWD/Tech, so since last time I hit a pothole(big and deep) in highway at around 55mph, I replaced the rim b/c it was bend, and I replaced all 4 struts, both front start leaking, and both rear do not retract after compress, so I bought oem parts online and have them replaced at the store, also, I replaced both rear bar link, the car felt so more stable while making turn, but steering wheel also off center a little after replacement, after all these, I did the wheel balancing, a 4 wheel alignment.
Here is the problem after all, on highway, I felt my steering wheel start shaking when making slight turning at 40-60 mph, going straight seems fine, but sometimes, it also shakes, I tried to convince myself this was due to the highway road surface, but this week, I sent my car in the dealership to address a TBS, and they are missing part so they gave me a loaner, 19 RDX, when driving back home, I didn't notice any shaking on the steering wheel at all, so question, what else did the car break by the pothole damage? Is it possible they break something while replacing strut? I spoke to the body shop yesterday, and the guy said its because of the tire balancing, they will do it again, I will bring my car in after I got it back from the dealer.
Last but not least, STUPID POTHOLE.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
balance the tires and have the dealer program the steering center.
Like I said, I asked them to perform the tire balancing before I do the alignment, and I saw them doing it, not sure why doing it again will benefit the shaky steering wheel, and these replacement were done by local body shop.

·
Registered
551 Posts
To prove my theory rotate the tires front to back. If the shimmy goes away you know you have a bad tire. BTW balancing will not always midigate a tire issue. Unless the person doing the balancing actually watches the tread as the tire is spining he would never notice anything.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
what else did the car break by the pothole damage? Is it possible they break something while replacing strut? I spoke to the body shop yesterday, and the guy said its because of the tire balancing, they will do it again, I will bring my car in after I got it back from the dealer.
I think you need a qualified mechanic check out the vehicle again. If you hit a pothole badly enough to do the damage you described there could be other things that were damaged but perhaps not yet found - something else in the steering or suspension. It may be something more than just a wheel balance issue.

It's not that uncommon on an event like this to first fix the obvious damage, which improves the issues, but then still have one or two lingering issues afterwards that are yet to be found and fixed.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you need a qualified mechanic check out the vehicle again. If you hit a pothole badly enough to do the damage you described there could be other things that were damaged but perhaps not yet found - something else in the steering or suspension. It may be something more than just a wheel balance issue.

It's not that uncommon on an event like this to first fix the obvious damage, which improves the issues, but then still have one or two lingering issues afterwards that are yet to be found and fixed.
You are right and that why I bring up this post, like I said, I am bring it over to the shop again for further diagnosis, but just want to get some idea from here what else might break

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just throwing this out there, as it cannot explain the problem while turning, but I've found that proper torquing of the lug nuts AND the sequence used, can affect wheel shake at speed. I use 90 ft lbs and use a "star" (crisscross) tightening sequence. Often impact guns are used at high air pressures and tightening sequences can vary among mechanics.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just throwing this out there, as it cannot explain the problem while turning, but I've found that proper torquing of the lug nuts AND the sequence used, can affect wheel shake at speed. I use 90 ft lbs and use a "star" (crisscross) tightening sequence. Often impact guns are used at high air pressures and tightening sequences can vary among mechanics.

a tire can be in balance in a straight line but the way the correction weights are put on can cause the wheel to shimmy when it is turned in the direction it is going (gyroscopic action).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much for bring up this, I will definitely try it out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a tire can be in balance in a straight line but the way the correction weights are put on can cause the wheel to shimmy when it is turned in the direction it is going (gyroscopic action).
Ya, I guess that's the reason why the shop offer me a free tire balancing again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had an in-depth discussion on this years ago with an Acura mechanic and he stated that 95% of steering wheel shimmy issues that they see are tire related. Occasionally an alignment will help, but as a few have stated, more times than not it's the imbalance of the tire(s) that is causing the vibration through the steering wheel.

As mentioned above, the tire weights as well as tire wear itself can cause vibration. Do the 3 existing tires look more warn on the inside of the tires? Outside? Are they all inflated the same pressure as the new tire?

Unfortunately it seems you've spent a lot of money on the fix...I'm not sure what the mileage is on the other 3 tires, but it might be that you have one new tire with 3 more worn tires (again, not sure what the mileage is on the others)...

Good luck on the fix and yes, EFFF potholes! >:) (went through this same thing years ago)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had an in-depth discussion on this years ago with an Acura mechanic and he stated that 95% of steering wheel shimmy issues that they see are tire related. Occasionally an alignment will help, but as a few have stated, more times than not it's the imbalance of the tire(s) that is causing the vibration through the steering wheel.

As mentioned above, the tire weights as well as tire wear itself can cause vibration. Do the 3 existing tires look more warn on the inside of the tires? Outside? Are they all inflated the same pressure as the new tire?

Unfortunately it seems you've spent a lot of money on the fix...I'm not sure what the mileage is on the other 3 tires, but it might be that you have one new tire with 3 more worn tires (again, not sure what the mileage is on the others)...

Good luck on the fix and yes, EFFF potholes! >:) (went through this same thing years ago)
Hey, so does my mechanic, he said the same thing after I told him the shaky steering wheel. All 4 tires are brand new, it's like 5 moths old, once I got the car back from dealer(High pressure fuel pump TBS), I will bring it back to my mechanic to do the tire balancing again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Let's not forget that warped front brake rotors can also cause high speed shaking of the wheel. And a pulsating brake pedal when pressure is applied. My OEM rotors warped after 8k miles and they were replaced, as I did not want them to machine them down. Makes them thinner and even more likely to warp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Everyone, just want to give some update on my shaky steering wheel issue. I brought it back to the local shop, they confirmed with me that they didn't perform tire balancing last time, and both front tires are out of balance(0,30 show on the machine, it has to be 0,0), so after they got all tires balanced, no more shaky, no more expensive repair to follow up.
I will try to dodge every pothole in the rest of my life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts