Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MBP '03 X (2 months old). The steering wheel is making some scraping noise whenever the wheel is turned. Took it to the dealer and they found the problem. The cable reel is touching the steering column. They have to special ordered the cable reel. So hopefully sometime next week, this problem is fixed. Just curious if anyone has encountered this problem.

XLD

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I think my MDX.....

......might be doing this. It's very slight and you have to strain to listen to it. I think I should have the dealer look at it as well!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sorry,.......

.......actually I was a bit mistaken. It's a "clicking noise" - One or two clicks when turning from a full-left position to the straight/center position, only noticeable when the vehicle is not moving. I'm gonna have them investigate this!

The VERY SLIGHT "rubbing" noise I hear is the steering wheel rubbing on the plastic panel underneath it (I'm not going to bother asking them to fix this as I fear further complications if they tear this section apart)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer said the cable reel is a back order item. Still don't know when it will be available. They said it may take 2 weeks or 2 months. Now I am driving around with this very annoying noise. Kind of disappointed with the quality of this 40k car.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had the same problem on my 02. Whenever I turned the wheel to the left to back up, it would make a slight rubbing sound. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate the problem.

Today I heard a similar noise on my 03 for the first time. I'm wondering if it's the cable rubbing against the steering column too.

ck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After replacing the reel, the noise is still there. Make another appointment with the dealer next week to check it out. But I am not confident that they can fix the problem, because they'd tried but the problem is still not resolved. This is so time consuming.

·
Registered
509 Posts
xld2002,

Does your steering wheel make noise every time you turn? Mine makes noise only once in the morning (turning left), after a cold start, and doesn't make any noise after that.

Hope you get your problem resolved.

ck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It makes the scraping noise everytime I turn the wheel. The noise is quite low so if there is lots of traffic around you, you will have to pay attention in order to hear it. But if you drive in the evening, say in a quiet neighborhood, the noise is very apparent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts