Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking out loud here, do you guys think a 07-09 TL steering wheel will be a direct swap to our Mdx? I have an 08 and after looking around it seems that the 10-12 steering wheel is a direct swap (same wheel except a little thicker and functionless shift paddles). Maybe someone has seen a different wheel swapped in but this can’t be our only option?

·
Registered
895 Posts
First of all, there was a significant change in the TL steering wheel for the '09 model year, so there is no such thing as an '07-09 TL steering wheel. Next, assuming you want full functionality of all of the steering wheel controls you'll need to stick to one that has the exact layout of your current wheel as the connector will be different. It won't be plug-n-play.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
09 was the first year of the new TL. 07+ was the first year of the refresh with the new steering wheel design which carried over to 09+. In all actuality, the 10-12 Mdx and the 09+ TL have the same steering wheel just different design ( Tl is the three spoke design and both have the same paddle shifters). So theoretically speaking it should work and could even be plug and play?

When the weather warms up, I will update this thread with some updates

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I’m thinking out loud here, do you guys think a 07-09 TL steering wheel will be a direct swap to our Mdx?
I don't know, but it might.

I have an 08 and after looking around it seems that the 10-12 steering wheel is a direct swap (same wheel except a little thicker and functionless shift paddles).
That's correct. You can also make the paddles functional in M with some persuasion.

Maybe someone has seen a different wheel swapped in but this can’t be our only option?
I was extremely lucky to acquire a BRAND new accessory steering wheel and gear selector knob from eBay at 1/3 the price. I was really surprised to find out that it is actually brand new when it arrived - not even a trace of finger oil or any kind of scratches either on leather or on the wood.

I will be swapping mine in 2008 some time in February with a video coming in Spring.

May be you can get as lucky or better!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ That’s a nice wheel and score. It should be a pretty straight forward swap since it’s a factory option.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
^ That’s a nice wheel and score. It should be a pretty straight forward swap since it’s a factory option.
Yep, I just have to remember to disconnect the battery so the airbag does not explode in my face if something goes awry. I still need my face. For the videos :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts