Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had issues with the leather on the steering wheel cracking? Suddenly, (and I do mean out of the blue in the last two weeks) there are a series of small cracks in the outer edge of my steering wheel leather, at the 12 and 6 O-Clock positions. I do not know why. Just very fine cracks, suddenly. Any input on what has caused this and what to do about it? I am a bit mystified.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sounds as though it was lacking leather conditioner or the product you are using to protect the leather is bad quality. Maybe the previous owner used the wrong cleaners and conditioners?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds as though it was lacking leather conditioner or the product you are using to protect the leather is bad quality. Maybe the previous owner used the wrong cleaners and conditioners?
What leather conditioner do you use on your steering wheel?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I use Weiman Leather conditioner and have used Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Another possibility is if anyone uses the alcohol based hand cleaner like my wife does. She had kept some in the car and would use it and i noticed the steering wheel was wearing were she placed her hands on wheel! she no longer uses it in the car.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Has anyone had issues with the leather on the steering wheel cracking?
Yes. I am observing it at 170K miles. It is a gradual process, though, and it already started by the time I got my car when it was at 70K miles. I guess the previous owner completely neglected taking proper leather care by regularly cleaning it and applying balm. When I started caring for this car, that process slowed down significantly, but it was inevitable at that point anyway, as it has already started.

I already have an accessory steering wheel with wood insert ready for replacement, just got to find time. Remember to regularly clean your leather (at least twice a year) and apply balm to keep it in good condition!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Weiman Leather conditioner and have used Meguiar's G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Another possibility is if anyone uses the alcohol based hand cleaner like my wife does. She had kept some in the car and would use it and i noticed the steering wheel was wearing were she placed her hands on wheel! she no longer uses it in the car.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, Meguiar's is what I have been using since buying the car, on recommendation of another owner. I really have not been super impressed with it on the seats, and have been thinking to switch to something else. I saw a Lexol product at the store. Is that any good on these seats? I used to used Lexol products on my saddles when I owned horses. Have you been happy with the Weiman product? I thought about the alcohol-based hand cleaner issue, as I do use a lot of it, but don't understand why the 6 oclock position of the wheel would be affected, as it is probably the least touched part of the wheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I am observing it at 170K miles. It is a gradual process, though, and it already started by the time I got my car when it was at 70K miles. I guess the previous owner completely neglected taking proper leather care by regularly cleaning it and applying balm. When I started caring for this car, that process slowed down significantly, but it was inevitable at that point anyway, as it has already started.

I already have an accessory steering wheel with wood insert ready for replacement, just got to find time. Remember to regularly clean your leather (at least twice a year) and apply balm to keep it in good condition!
Thanks for the reply! I am at 117K miles and this just started in the last 2K miles or so. I have used the Meguiars product on the seats and wheel since I bought the car at 96K miles. What product are you using on the wheel?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Weiman has been my primary leather conditioner and i use it as it has worked for our leather couches the past 12 years. Lexol is great too and having used it you have a good idea how it worked for you. The 6;00 o'clock position had me confused as well untill i watched the mrs putting her hand cleaner on in the car and resting her hand on the bottom of the wheel when pulling out of parking places and the drive way. She has a real tendency to rest her hand at lights at the 6:00 O' clock position and pulls herself into the vehicle with the bottom of steering wheel. she claims she was not aware and said stop analyzing her driving habbits.:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Autoglym is a fantastic product , i have not used the leather conditioner but use most of their other products on my classic cars but if they had leather i probably would.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts