Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took my 2009 MDX Tech with 60,000 miles in for B13 service today and told them that steering wheel only returns to preset position about 50% of the time. Acura calls me back and says I need two new mirror actuators for about $250 worth of parts/labor to fix steering wheel problem. Told them not to replace. Mirrors work fine and I can just adjust steering wheel when it does not go back to preset rather than spend $250.

Bought MDX used at 40,000 and paid for extended warranty but of course, does not cover actuators. Found actuators on line for $32 each. Found how to replace on YoTube. Probably something I can do.

Of course, after picking vehicle up, $350 for the B13 service, I find that when I run through my info settings on steering wheel, I no longer get a beep as I go through the menu. No big deal but just once I would like to get my MDX back without having additional issues.

But does anyone know what actuators have to do with steering wheel memory position?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes - it may seem odd but this is correct. The symptoms will also often include the mirrors not resetting consistently either - however if you are the only driver your mirrors may never move.

Not a difficult replacement at all. Just be careful and take your time snapping the mirror off of the existing actuator - there are good instructions on exactly where to put the screwdriver on the net.

Also - it may only be one actuator that is bad - though this can be hard to determine. One way is to move the mirrors before you shut down your car and see if, on a consistent basis, one or the other doesn't return to the correct place. Good luck - it is annoying and I'm glad I changed out mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. At least now I feel better about swapping out the actuators.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just did both actuators on my (new to me) '08. now everything moves as it should (mirrors, seat and steering wheel). Got the actuators off of Amazon for about $40 each.

Passenger side was easiest, drivers side was a bit of a PITA. If you haven't done it already, do it under some shade - the bright sky makes it really hard to see up in the mirror housing even with a flashlight.

I really like this "Driver 1" and "Driver 2" concept. The better half was occasionally forgetting to slide the seat back on my old car and that drove me nuts. No longer a problem with the MDX :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced pax side mirror

Thanks to JWChapman, I noticed my passenger side mirror was always needing adjusted. Replaced just the pax side actuator and no issues with steering wheel for last several weeks. $38 in parts compared to $250 Acura wanted. :29:

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want a fix that "may" work and is still cheaper than buying new actuators, you could get some white lithium grease and re-grease your current actuators. This has worked for me.

Time spent will be about the same as installing new ones, but will save you $40/side.

Here's what I did:

1. Remove mirror + actuator (same process as if you're replacing).
2. You'll see the joint, and likely where some grease is pushed out of the joint. Simply try and work grease back into this joint.

It can be helpful to plug the actuator in and have someone (esp. if working on passenger side) move the actuator all around via the mirror adjuster button as you rub the grease into the joint. Better would be to disassemble the joint to reapply grease, but I haven't gone that far.

3. Reinstall parts.

The last time it acted up on me and I regreased was about 7-8 months ago. Steering wheel didn't move this morning, so it's probably about time to do it again.

Depending on how bad your actuators are, this might not help. But if you've got the spare time, it could save a little cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts