Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. I have a brand new SBP MDX. Love it!

However, after driving it for a week, it feels to me like the steering is very loose. It didn't seem this way at first but definitely does now.

Maybe I'm just used to driving a different make of vehicle or maybe its in my head!

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When I took delivery of my X, I broke it in with an immediate road trip. My wife did most of the driving. She complained about the rough ride. :mad:
So..... During a mall stop, I checked the tire pressures....
:eek:
And to my discontent..... 45 PSI times 4

Maybe the temp dif between Canada and Va had something to do with it....:8:

Adjusted the pressure's, and it's been great thus far....

Check your tires....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaleB said:
Some have complained of little too much play, or dead feeling when at dead center. But never loose that I know of. Better have your dealer check it out ASAP if it really feels 'loose'!

Actually, the way you describe it is much better. It is the feeling of a little too much play. So is this normal?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
mbweinbe, you're definitely not imagining things!.....

mbweinbe said:

Actually, the way you describe it is much better. It is the feeling of a little too much play. So is this normal?
.......I, too get the EXACT SAME feeling driving my MDX......very hard to describe......as if it had a "lag" in response or as though there was a lot of play, or more specifically, like there was a "rubber band" between the connections....... The steering is rather imprecise with a lot of "flex" or "play" .....again very hard to describe :( Besides, I have to constantly keep making miniscule, vague feeling, corrections to keep the X going straight on the freeway. I say "vague feeling" because the MDX does not react to steering input, the exact same amount each time. Additionally there is a slight "delay" in response to steering input, making these constant corrections necessary!......While the MDX is great overall, this is one aspect of the MDX that I'm not at all satisfied about :28:

FYI, I don't think this is an exclusively MDX phenomenon. I got the same feeling driving a friend's new 2003 Accord. I think this might be a universal problem in Honda's new steering systems!! .....previous Honda products did not seem to exhibit this behavior

·
Registered
549 Posts
Argh. I hope I don't feel that way too. I'm trading in my 2002 TL-S. It's steering is not vague at all. I hope I'm not sorry...

I also own a resto/rod 1972 Suburban. I'm sure the steering is not that vague!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Got no problems here with this. In fact, when the speed increases by quite a bit, I can tell that it tightens up. Kudos to the guys that re-did the 2003 steering!

·
Registered
235 Posts
steering is fine

i agree with ndahbar...

the steering is fine and as a matter of fact, car and driver has always complimented the MDX steering.

if there is any question about your steering go to your service dept and make they do the right thing.

good luck,

chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: steering is fine

cmdpm said:
i agree with ndahbar...

the steering is fine and as a matter of fact, car and driver has always complimented the MDX steering.

if there is any question about your steering go to your service dept and make they do the right thing.

good luck,

chris
Thanks for all the feedback. I have made an appointment with Acura service to have them check it out for me.

Michael

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: Re: steering is fine

mbweinbe said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I have made an appointment with Acura service to have them check it out for me.

Michael

What was the problem? Bad rack right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
mbweinbe said:
Question. I have a brand new SBP MDX. Love it!

However, after driving it for a week, it feels to me like the steering is very loose. It didn't seem this way at first but definitely does now.

Maybe I'm just used to driving a different make of vehicle or maybe its in my head!

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks!

Michael
Same problem here! I believe it is the rack. Does anyone know the approximate cost to have a rack replaced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When we got our 2003 MDX with 60,000 miles back in '07 there was no discernible play in the steering. Now at 144,000 there is some. According to page 17-27 of the service manual, there is a rack guide adjustment screw that can be adjusted to take out play. My dealer says however that play cannot be adjusted out, that you have to replace either the rack or the steering gearbox or both if you want to take out play. Am planning to consult an independent shop soon. My conclusion is that an '03 MDX without excessive (or normal higher mileage) wear somewhere should steer without any noticeable play. Indeed, if our's had had any at the time of purchase, we wouldn't have purchased it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts