Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some user reviews and recommendations for consumer use, household portable steam cleaners. Plan to use it on the MDX engine, kitchen range hood, and to sanitize the shower stall of mold & mildew. Hard to find unbiased reviews, can anyone offer opinions from their experiences with these. Please specify make and model so I know what to look for, or to avoid.

Thanks.

Bruce

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have used a "Hotsey" pressure washer on the farm and at home for years. It puts out water at 180 degrees and 2500 psi with or without soap. My advise to you is never use the direct straight stream, use the "fan" setting and stay at least 2 ft. away from any surface on the car and don't point it at any "soft" item such as fabric hoses or wire covers. Hard plastic or metal are ok but it can do a lot of appearance damage to some things. Underneath the car is a great place to clean as there really isn't anything there to damage and it gets salt and grime off in fine style. I would not use it to "wash" the car since aside from the possibility of damage to the paint if you get to aggresive, the car won't come clean anyway. High pressure washers don't get that fine fillm off that is on a dirty car....loose dirt, salt and mud are removed but to remove that last film of dirt there is nothing better than a wash mit with some high quality car washing soap! The pressure washer is great for cleaning the wheel wells however.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have used a "Hotsey" pressure washer on the farm and at home for years. It puts out water at 180 degrees and 2500 psi with or without soap. My advise to you is never use the direct straight stream, use the "fan" setting and stay at least 2 ft. away from any surface on the car and don't point it at any "soft" item such as fabric hoses or wire covers. Hard plastic or metal are ok but it can do a lot of appearance damage to some things. Underneath the car is a great place to clean as there really isn't anything there to damage and it gets salt and grime off in fine style. I would not use it to "wash" the car since aside from the possibility of damage to the paint if you get to aggresive, the car won't come clean anyway. High pressure washers don't get that fine fillm off that is on a dirty car....loose dirt, salt and mud are removed but to remove that last film of dirt there is nothing better than a wash mit with some high quality car washing soap! The pressure washer is great for cleaning the wheel wells however.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheyCallMeBruce said:
Would like some user reviews and recommendations for consumer use, household portable steam cleaners. Plan to use it on the MDX engine, kitchen range hood, and to sanitize the shower stall of mold & mildew. Hard to find unbiased reviews, can anyone offer opinions from their experiences with these. Please specify make and model so I know what to look for, or to avoid.

Thanks.

Bruce
Perhaps I should clarify what I am looking for. My main purpose is detail work in the hard to get places on the and around the engine, as well as in ovens and the underside of stove range hoods. As such, I am seeking a low pressure (40-70 psi) extremely high temperature steaming source, which relies more on the heat from the steam vapor rather than the just high pressure from hot water.
Thanks for your contributions. So far, I've researched the Steam Max by Vapor Products, but don't know how well it actually works, or if someone feels they have something more effective, yet for less than $200.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts