Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my 2002 X with no apparent problems until last week. When I went to turn on my car it would not start. I ruled out the battery because there were signs of power. The car would make a sound as if it were about to start but it wouldn't catch. I thought it might be the starter. Once I gave it a little gas, then it started right up. I thought the problem might just have been an anomaly so I overlooked it. The problem did not recur until about one week latter. (That was today). It happened about the third time I started the car today, and then again tonight (about the sixth time I've started the car) Has anyone faced this problem? Any suggestion? :3:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Honda Accord. The main fuel relay was replaced and that solved the problem. Suggest you take it to the dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same problem with my X. It happened probably four times since I purchased on August. Now, the work-around is that I try to wait a couple of seconds when the key is on the ignition position before starting the car, and it seems to help.

Also, I will check with the dealer next time when I need a engine oil change.

Hope it help.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Had the same problem with my GMC P/U. Problem fixed with a new fuel relay.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
In addition to the relay, there are a couple of other things to check:

1. You might have some water in your gas; this could cause hard starting and/or rough running. A can of DryGas in a full tank should cure it.

2. You might have a flaky key. The key "talks" with the car through a transponder, and if the key isn't talking properly, the immobilizer makes sure that the fuel pump relay isn't turned on. How to tell? The light in the instrument panel that looks like a key -- if a "good" key is inserted and the key is turned on, the light will come on for 2 seconds, then go off. If a "bad" key is inserted and turned on, the light will come on for 2 seconds, then continue to blink at the rate of one blink per second until the key is turned off. The light quits blinking when a bad key is turned off, but blinks 5 times when a good key is turned off. If the key you're using EVER behaves like a bad key, try one of the other keys that came with the car. If they ALL behave sometimes like bad keys, then the immobilizer receiver unit in the ignition switch assembly may be bad.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called the service department at my Acrua dealer and the guy said that the problem was probably due to the cold weather we've been having the in Midwest, in connection with starting the car to quickly. He suggested I put the key in the ignition then wait until the engine light turns out (about 3 seconds). At that point there is enough gas pressure built up to start the engine. He also suggest I read the owners manual which specifies the way to start the engine in cold weather. Since I've been waiting for the light to turn out, I've had no problems. THanks for everyones' advice! I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi C_abril:

___Would you mind giving me the Cliff Notes version of the Cold Weather starting technique? I don’t have a manual or an X yet ;) It was a balmy 14 degrees F two nights ago in a town I frequent south of Joliet.

___Thanks in advance and Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts