Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 Tech package. I'm wanting to change my factory wheels for a new look. I am loving the look of a BMW X6M wheel. They come in 20x9.5 40 mm offset front
20x10.5 35 mm offset rear. The hub bore is 74.1 mm. If anyone with wheel and tire knowledge could please advise me if this is possible without messing anything up on my MDX. I included 2 pictures showing the rim design. I would think that the front tires would be about 275/40/20 and the rear tires would be 295/40/20. Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
No there will either be rubbing on the inside or if you use spacers to clear the insides, you will be sticking out on the outside. This is for the rear.

If you wanna use staggered, you'll want to match up the appropriate tire sizes as to not mess up the awd. The outer circumference should all be the same.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a great site to see how different wheel/tire sizes compare. Your proposed setup (I only checked Rear) is 0.3" taller, 1.3" deeper/wider and 0.8" closer to the brakes/suspension than OEM. OEM Camero wheels fit and the are slightly wider with a different offset though I can't recall the exact size.

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

·
Registered
798 Posts
As far as the spacers on the rear do you have any idea what sized spacer?
I just remeasured my wheels/clearance outside and you "may" be able to get away with 10.5" rear with 35mm offset. Just from rough measurement with the tape measure, you might have around 1/2" of clearance.

The fronts would be really close at using 9.5" 40mm et to the strut. This is where you may have to use a 5mm spacer possibly.

I would get your tires and wheels first. It may just clear. Then decide if you need spacers but if you did, it would be minimal like 5mm spacers at most.

Since you're not lowered, you probably will not have any rubbing issues on the fender well unless you go over a huge pot hole or bump.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have been wanting to get the BMW staggered wheel setup too for some time. I never liked the 8.5" wheels since they are tucked in and too thin. I wish Acura will have 9" OEM wheels to begin with since I cannot go more than 285/45R19 tire size on a 8.5" wide wheel.

I use Michelin 285/45R19 tires on an 8.5" OEM wheel. I have the black plastic wheel well protectors and use to use a 1" wheel adapters with no problem. The tires never have rubbed before.

If you put the plastic wheel well protector edges, it will look great. Just with the wheel adapters, my MDX looks a lot beefier from behind. Without it , it looks a little tuck in with the plastic edges.

Unluckily, my 2011 MDX has already 120,000 miles, so it is a little to old for new wheel shoes, and I don't like the new Acura MDX's.. I almost bought an X5 with the staggered wheel setup, but at the end, I did not buy it.. But my next vehicle may be a BMW if Acura doesn't come with a Sport version of the MDX or a Lexus, if they come up with a sport version of their larger SUV's. Lexus is coming with some nice sporty vehicles with nice performance, and if Acura doesn't wake up, it will lose a good chunk of their customers.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I see they have removed all the old posts from years ago, where I had a series of photos from my wheel spacers, the front and rear look, and my 285/45R19 tires..

When I go home, I will get some photos and/or take some new ones.. It's too bad that the site forum decided to remove all those photos. The knowledge base and important posted information is lost forever..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry for the delay.. My computer is in a box since we are changing all the floors in our house. I just took a couple of new pictures in a hurry..

I don't have my wheel adapters on, and my tires/wheels are 285/45R19 on 8.5" wheels..

There is plenty of space on the OEM wheel that has 45 mm wheel offset. Even more with the wheel well black plastic edge, which is quite thick.

AC

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts