Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is directed at anyone who has stayed away from HIDS4Less because of all the horror stories.

I've washed my hands of HIDS4Less and found a local company, Supreme Power Parts that sells Philps 4200K bulbs and Philips 35W ballast that is plug and play with our 9006 low beams. (10 minute install)

Starting today we are authorized to either call them up, or visit their WEB site to order Stage 1 conversion kit for our 9006 low beams.

Here is the info on the 9006 HID conversion kit:
- 2 Philips 4200K bulbs
- 2 Philips 35W ballast
- 2 plug and play wiring kits. (Simply unplug the wire from the old bulb and plug it into the ballast. The ballast wire then plugs into the HID bulb.)
- 5 year warranty on both the bulbs and the ballast.

The cost:
- Retail is $650
- Normal is $540
- Group buy price is $499 shipped anywhere in the Continental US

How to purchase:
- Visit their WEB site and go through the normal order process. In the comments section tell them that you are part of the AcuraMDX.org group buy and your price is $499 for the 9006 Stage 1 conversion kit.
OR
- Call them up. (West Coast) 714.632.1951. Ask for Eric.

They have plenty in stock and are shipping my kit tomorrow.b I'll be posting installation pictures when the kit comes.

You don't need to post to this site to be part of the group buy, but I would like to know that you've ordered them.

rflagg

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Please, please,please let us know how it went, I was one of those who bailed on the GB for HID4less. Give us detail of the package how it arrived and the quality and if needed any mods. Ease of install,etc.

Thanks
rflagg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stage 1s ordered from supremeparts

I did cancel from HIDS4LESS today and ordered from supremeparts(?) for 499 inc. shipping. The brand name and product guarantee were pluses. I asked them about Stage 2s and I was told that it would be a while before they were ready...

Thanks
Gokhan

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Stage 1s ordered from supremeparts

gusanmaz said:
I did cancel from HIDS4LESS today and ordered from supremeparts(?) for 499 inc. shipping. The brand name and product guarantee were pluses. I asked them about Stage 2s and I was told that it would be a while before they were ready...

Thanks
Gokhan
Glad to hear it!

Concerning the Stage 2's. They are not happy with the light output of them. (They are about 1/3 dimmer than the Stage 1s.) They are working on a solution.

rflagg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My HIDs are coming today!

I just checked my tracking number with Fedex. I'll be getting them today!

I got my camera all ready!

rflagg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got HIDS Today

I got my Stage 1 kit from Supreme Power Parts today. Here is what the kit looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Close up

Here a close up of the Philips components

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
What did the bulb look like?

I received from hids4less and received a hella ballast instead of phillips, but curious to see what the bulb looked like, if possible post a pic and post pics of the lights once installed. I'm very happy with the light's I eventually received. My posts are on the other thread for hid4less group buy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Philips 4200K bulb

Notice that replacing or upgrading them to 6000K is a snap due to the fact that they simply unscrew.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Thanks for the reply

I like the ones you recieved better because it looks as if the connection from bulb to ballast is a little better. I wasn't happy with the connection from ballast to the stock 9006 plug. Just pluging in those pins and taping doesn't seem so great. I'm debating whether or not to cut the plug off and connect wires directly. What were your thoughts on this. Also my hella ballast looks identical to yours. check out the link here:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4905&perpage=15&pagenumber=11

Check out bottom of page 11 and go to page 12 for the final pic's

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Thanks for the reply

paul123 said:
I like the ones you recieved better because it looks as if the connection from bulb to ballast is a little better. I wasn't happy with the connection from ballast to the stock 9006 plug. Just pluging in those pins and taping doesn't seem so great. I'm debating whether or not to cut the plug off and connect wires directly. What were your thoughts on this. Also my hella ballast looks identical to yours. check out the link here:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4905&perpage=15&pagenumber=11
I'm still subscribed to the thread, so I've seen your pictures. I'm also in agreement that I like my bulb connection better.

I'm on the West Coast, so it's still daylight. After dark, I'm driving out to a country road and take some pictures of what my old headlights show. Then I'm going back into the garage and connect my HIDS and go back out there to take the "after" pictures.

I've mounted my ballasts. My wires must be shorter than yours because I could not mount them on the frame below each light. I had to get creative, but I did come up with something that works real good. I picked the area between the washer fluid fillup and the fender for one ballast. For the other ballast, I mounted it on the metal frame on the other side of the high beam. (I'll be posting my installation pictures tomorrow.)

Paul,
I'm glad you like your HIDs. I now have a question for you: Do they overpower your other lights? I'm thinking about upgrading my fogs. (I've seen your setup. Are your PIAA fogs an asset, or does your HIDs overpower them?

rflagg

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
HID overpower the Fogs

The HID cover the further distance down road and the Piaa cover the close up area of road. The piaa's are a brighter and wider view than the stock bulb, and I personally like the yellow hue, but not the yellow of a halogen bulb. It's like a white/yellow color that looks nice in contrast to the blue/purple of the Stage II.
I'm amazed at how bright the HID when I come up behind on a car. It's like a spotlight on the car. I guess it looks like a commercial light bright. I'm sure your's will be even brighter, using the 4300k bulb.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Crank up the adjustment

I made my second adjustment on the HID and the more I lift the better it gets. A good idea is when follows a car don't go to high as to blind person in front of you, or make him flip the mirror. The second adjustment upward made a huge difference. It's amazing how far down the road is lite up like day. The closer area in front is lite up bright by the piaa fogs. It's amazing. No more mod's after this. Especially the cost $575, $129, & $89.:eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Crank up the adjustment

paul123 said:
I made my second adjustment on the HID and the more I lift the better it gets. A good idea is when follows a car don't go to high as to blind person in front of you, or make him flip the mirror. The second adjustment upward made a huge difference. It's amazing how far down the road is lite up like day. The closer area in front is lite up bright by the piaa fogs. It's amazing. No more mod's after this. Especially the cost $575, $129, & $89.:eek:
I appreciate you input! I just fired mine up for the first time. Oh...My...God! I was just getting ready to take them for a spin when my wife ran out of the house to go the market! Now I have to wait!!!

Question: When you said 5 turns. Did you mean 5 complete turns in the 'U' direction. Or where you less scientific?

rflagg

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Yes

Yes I believe it was five full turns at first, then I pulled back a little. Now tonight I crank up a little further. To tell you the truth I'm not sure how many at this point? Pull up 10-15 feet from a wall with bricks and you can measure brick to match the two beams. Have to drive and adjust, drive and adjust till you get the right height. The distance is amazing and how bright.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HID Test Drive

I have a new name for my HIDs: dual lightening generators! I could not believe the difference! Such a pure white color!

Concerning beam pattern, it is awesome. There a straight line about one car length ahead of me where the light begins. After that, it is pure white! (I may have to adjust them down a bit. The light shines so far ahead that when I'm going up a hill, the light caused someone to flash me.)

Young mentioned that HIDS4Less' Stage 1s were yellowish. Not my Philps ones. They come on strong and stay strong.

Before & after pictures are up next!

rflagg

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before & After pictures

I took these pictures with my digital camcorder while driving about 30 MPH. I don't recommend doing this!! :D

Look at how much closer to the sign I am on the before picture, and yet the after picture lights up the sign so much better!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
look great!!

when your driving behind someone you will have to see if you blind them id so you may have to lower the beam. Try to keep as high as possible without blinding cars in front of you. They work great as daytime running lights. People tend to move out of your way when approaching.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Left Ballast location

I mounted the left ballast between the wiper filler and the wheel well. I went to Home Depot and got a longer bolt that secures the upper portion of the wiper filler to the wheel well. (M6-1.0x40mm) The bolt is located to the right of the fill cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
close up of left ballast position

Here is a close up picture of the left ballast.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts