Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Ever Since I have had my MDX I have had a problem with the SRS light and i finally figured out what it was. NEver put your cell phone on the seat. The tech and the dealer said that putting your cell phone messes up the SRS sensor. That problem made me scratch my head. But we finnally figured out what it was. So just to help ya'll who are expericaning this problem too
-Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
SRS Light and Laptops?

Thanks for the tip on the SRS sensor and cell phones. I did have my cell phone in the vicinity, but not on the seat. I did have my computer bag (with laptop inside) sitting on the front seat and when I moved it to the floor, the light turned off. At first I thought that the seat was sensitive to the weight of my computer bag. I kept reaching over to the opposite side of the passenger seat and moved around the leather and cushion to see if the light would go away. Sometimes I thought it did.

This is the first time I've seen the problem (it's been 1-1/2 years and 44K miles later). I'd like to get to the bottom of this within 6000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My SRS light went on "permanently" in June and the only thing I could think that I did differently than usual was toss my bag onto the passenger seat (no laptop, possibly a cell phone but it would have been off). Had to take it to the dealer to reset the light. No problem with the SRS itself or the electrical sys. They weren't 100% sure why the light was on, but one theory was that the seat sensed the weight of a small child who shouldn't be sitting in the front seat and thus triggered the system. MDXLNT, maybe it's the weight of your bag (that must be one heavy bag!)? I'm now more careful with how I set my bag on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
SRH,
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, it's a heavy bag! The light still goes off occasionally... but only when I have something on the seat! I even had my "laptop bag" on the floor in front of the seat, no cell phone in sight, but did have a few lighter things on the seat. It hasn't been too much of a problem, but your light staying "on" would bother me.

Regards,

·
Registered
63 Posts
srs light

I just had the clarion indash dvd player installed, and the processor is under the seat. Ever since I had it installed my srs light has been on. I haven't had time to take it to the dealer since I'm currently on vacation, but will as soon as I get a chance. The airbag light comes on when someone in the passenger seat leans against the sensor. I think its pretty dumb the way they have that set up.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
The OPDS unit is in the inner side bolster of the passenger seat. There have been many, many Acuras (all models) that come in with a SRS code for the OPDS 15-1 or 15-3. There is a TSB for this problem with an updated part. But yes, the code can false set by interference from an electronic device, which means that even if the updated part were installed, then code will still set.

Rob

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: srs light

eltigre said:
I just had the clarion indash dvd player installed, and the processor is under the seat. Ever since I had it installed my srs light has been on. I haven't had time to take it to the dealer since I'm currently on vacation, but will as soon as I get a chance. The airbag light comes on when someone in the passenger seat leans against the sensor. I think its pretty dumb the way they have that set up.
This is an interesting situation in which the dealer may "void the warranty" due to the aftermarket modification.

If they feel the non-Acura work caused the light to come on, they may charge you for work. They may, in fact, refuse to fix it unless you remove the dvd.

of course, they might not... :)

Keep us posted.

Ard

PS The idea is that the side sensor prevents someone from placing their body OVER the side airbag, thereby defeating the purpose of the airbag. I'm not sure that I'd agree it is "dumb"

·
Registered
312 Posts
Me too

I hadn't heard this before . . . my SRS light came on a month or so ago. I just brought it in to the dealer and sure-nuff, they blamed it on a cell phone. This seems like a design flaw to me . . . hope they take care of it in the future!:4:

·
Registered
153 Posts
My SRS Light Stays On...

but this was most likely my faulth. Just installed a Wood steering wheel. Followed installation procedure from HAW to the T. All connections appeared to be connected. Any ideas here folks? Oh, nothing is on the front passenger seat that might trigger the light to come on. Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have the codes read

The dealer should be ablew to read the codes and tell you what the SRS computer thinks is wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts