Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my new X to drive it home from the dealer 2 weeks ago and I noticed the red SRS light on the dash panel was on. When I got home I looked in the owner's manual and found X needed to go back to the dealer.

Took it back to dealer 3 days after delivery and they tried to reset the computer 3 times but it didn't solve the problem, so they said it needed a new passesnger seat belt buckle, of course it would need to be ordered.

Got in the X to drive it home and the light was gone, great, I am thinking this is fixed. So, I let them know we will not need their services. :) Well, apparently it is not fixed because last night the SRS light came on again. :(

Has anyone had this problem and has replacing a seat belt buckle fixed it???

My main concern here is that I have received TERRIBLE service from the service department so far, the most obvious being numerous scratches in the paint finish from them washing the X with a scrub brush for delivery prep and a deep nick in the rear license plate area from them putting on the dealer tag ($170.00 of ZAINO is on order) PLUS lots of GREASY prints on the leather from the mechanics getting in the X both times it was there!
I have little or no faith in the service department's ability and unfortunately their is no other Acura dealer for at least 2 hours from me.

I really don't want these fools replacing a seat belt buckle that my loved ones depend on and I am worried about what further damage they may do in the porocess. What do they have to take apart to get the seat belt buckle out and will it get put back in correctly without damage to soemthing else? I know it's all covered under warranty but it is still such a hassle. Besides, the best warranties are the ones you never have to use. :D

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know with my other Acuras I had a similar problem that the SRS light came on when the emergency brake wasn't fully disengaged.
To turn off the light it required the emergency brake to be disengaged and the engine shut off and restarted for the SRS indicater light to go away. I doubt this is the same problem you have, but it is worth a shot, more than likely it is the seatbelt switch, which they can easily ohm out and see if it is engaged or not, it may even be a loose connector.

Replacing a seat buckle usually is only a bolt and an electrical connector, I wouldn't really worry about it, but I would have it replaced to be on the safe side, especially if it is intermittent because it may not be the source of your problem.

Strange about the service, all of the service guys I have seen at the multiple acura dealerships I've been to wear rubber gloves and take them off when they work in the interior of the car. I thought it was an Acura Standard, I guess not...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
SRS Problems

Just picked up our MDX from the service dept [was in for 1 week]. Asked them about the SRS [this was not what they were working on]. Svc. Dept. indicated that the SRS Warning Light was a known issue [didn't ask what part was failing].

Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Put the X in the shop this morning ...

... the SRS light came on and stayed on:( :3: :confused:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
FWIW...I had a similar problem with our TL about a year and a half ago. The seatbelt fix worked!!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
SRS light

The SRS light comes on when an error has been stored in the SRS system. It can be anything from a seat belt buckle (yes, it is connected to the SRS system) to an OPDS system error (side air bag system unit and/or sensor) and just about anything in between that can be SRS related.

Once the error code is pulled, the dealer should be able to narrow it down to the exact problem. Typical causes are the seat belt buckle or the OPDS system unit and/or sensor sending an error code to the computer.

Next time you go in, ask the dealer what the error code was that they pulled from the system and see if it matches to the part that was replaced.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Passenger Seat sensor is bad

The diagnostic check said the sensor in the passenger seat is bad - it will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
129 Posts
On march 17 Honda of america repurchased my vehicle because they couldn't over a period of a year fix the srs problem. All they did the 7 times they had me comming back to the dealership was reset the computer. The first time they reset it they told me they will replace the srs computer if the light came up again. Sure it did, acura corporate told them not to replace anything because they did not know the cause of the problem. A year went by and 7 resets later (which meant trips to the dealer, leave the car overnight and pick it up next day) I said the hell with it and filed for a lemon law claim. They ordered a replacement vehicle which took 3 months to arrive and the dealership "mistakenly" sold to someone else. It had a different invoice since the car was the property of honda of america and the paperwork had my name on it. Believe me it was no "mistake" on the dealership side it was just the tipycal Acura Total Lack of Care (TLC). Hope you guys have better luck... but after all you are dealing with a brand that treats customers like crap... so don't set your expectations high.

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
jeych said:
On march 17 Honda of america repurchased my vehicle because they couldn't over a period of a year fix the srs problem. All they did the 7 times they had me comming back to the dealership was reset the computer. The first time they reset it they told me they will replace the srs computer if the light came up again. Sure it did, acura corporate told them not to replace anything because they did not know the cause of the problem. A year went by and 7 resets later (which meant trips to the dealer, leave the car overnight and pick it up next day) I said the hell with it and filed for a lemon law claim. They ordered a replacement vehicle which took 3 months to arrive and the dealership "mistakenly" sold to someone else. It had a different invoice since the car was the property of honda of america and the paperwork had my name on it. Believe me it was no "mistake" on the dealership side it was just the tipycal Acura Total Lack of Care (TLC). Hope you guys have better luck... but after all you are dealing with a brand that treats customers like crap... so don't set your expectations high.
Total Lack of Care (TLC) I Love it!:2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's happened to mine twice. The cause? According to Acura, placing a cell phone on the passenger seat makes the computer flip out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SRS Light Comes on because

of wieght being on the seat without something or someone leaning against the back seatr. That was my sitiuation. I just moved the object or or have the person lan back against the seat. The problem for me went away. :2:

:25:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just had the passenger belt replaced on my CL due to an SRS light. I was also told that cell phones could cause the failure. I've been using a cell phone in my car for over a year though. The part had to be FEDEXed in for the repair.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: SRS Light

ggalvan said:
of wieght being on the seat without something or someone leaning against the back seat ... I just moved the object or or have the person lan back against the seat. The problem for me went away.
Not:rolleyes: My light came on and stayed on - the sensor in the seat was bad.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Its on again

Came on again yesterday and stayed on; back in the shop tomorrow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Its fixed again - the details

Actually they told me today, that last time (see above) the SRS control unit was bad. This is the main control unit and it was replaced (last time).

This time the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System) was bad. They had to replace it - this is the seat sensor. Hopefully this time the SRS light stays off.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My SRS light came on couple days ago as well. It comes on and stays on every time the MDX is started. Based on information in some of the comments above, I will have to take it in to the dealer :mad: (this is not a DIY fix).

Until now, the MDX has not been back to the dealer since the day I bought it, as I do all required maintenance myself. This is the only problem that I have experienced in the last 2 years of ownership, and I am still very happy with this great SUV.

We'll see how this turns out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
some information for SRS light

I have a same kind problem "bad SRS control unit." so far already replaced two different SRS control units....
after second time replacement I call acura request third unit(original count for one) for 4 years 48000 miles warranty, after on the phone for few times finally ( pretty munch negotiate :confused: ...don't understand why need negotiate for??) they give me a 3 years 36000 miles warranty.
now after number 3 unit in three months so far light stay off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
kc16514
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing