Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've already selected Sport mode via the steering wheel selector, what happens when you then push the D/S button? Does this enter an 'enhanced' sport mode? I noticed the dash display changes from D to S and the throttle response is tighter. Or am I imagining things? I have a 2017 with SH-AWD and Tech btw.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sport (sequential) mode instructs the transmission to let the engine rev higher before shifting up to the next gear, which allows for more rapid acceleration. I'll use it if I need an unusually strong burst of acceleration, such as if I need to climb from a crawl to freeway speeds on a poorly designed onramp. For everything else, drive does just fine.

In drive mode, manual shifts with the paddle shifters will only hold temporarily--the computer will take back over after a certain amount of time (~10 sec?). In sport mode, the computer will not retake control. I don't use the paddle shifters much yet, so that's all I know.

This is completely different from the sports/comfort/normal dynamic (IDS). Sports mode is for paddle shifters, essentially. If you don't know how/when to properly shift, don't use sport mode.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The D/S has never been Drive/Sport. It has always been Drive/Sequential. Not sure why everyone thinks it's Sport, which is only available as an IDS mode via the button that resides by the gear selection buttons. Desi's explanation is correct. The manual details all of this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know - appreciate the responses. The reason I brought this topic up was because I'd just watched a terrific 2017 MDX review (Alex on Autos) on YouTube where the host called D/S, "Drive / Sport". I hadn't noticed this feature before (being able to press the button twice).

Re: why people think that D/S means "Drive / Sport" (versus "Drive / Sequential"), I think it's obvious why people make this mistake. Because "S" in the auto world traditionally means "Sport", not "Sequential". Plus, professional reviews like the one above add to this misunderstanding.

Re: reading the manual, I'm currently on vacation without my MDX (hence me not reading the manual and asking here instead).

Anyway, thanks again for clearing this up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have tried S mode with IDS set to Sports once, but it's very jerky on stop/go traffic. I wouldn't use it. I will try again later today how it feels with IDS Normal in S vs IDS Sports in S at green light.

I think it's intentional for Acura to put S but call it Sequential mode. They don't want to call it's sports for legal or marketing reason I believe. Indeed it's how other cars treat it as sports, holding the gear for higher rev so you feel the power, and power = sports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took delivery of my 2017 mdx this weekend. The only sport mode I was aware of was the one by the shifter. 3 options sport more and comfort. Is there another area to select "sport" mode?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
No i think you're right that it's the button by the shifter only. There isn't a way on the steering wheel afaik.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 2017 MDX has two Sporty options. Yes it can be confusing. But its all in the guide.

1. D/S Gear Switch (Drive/Sequential)
2. Dynamic Mode and Steering Wheel selector showing Comfort / Normal / Sports

Let me explain the differences;

1. D/S Gear Switch (Drive/Sequential)
Set the transmission to "Drive" for smooth gear changes with an emphasis on fuel efficiency. Select "Sequential" for quicker acceleration, as the transmission allows the engine to rev higher before up-shifting.
The steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters deliver quick, precise shifts at your fingertips. Tapping a paddle shifter while in "Drive" brings a quick gear change with automatic operation returning when reaching a steady speed. This allows you to make quick gear changes without changing in and out of manual mode. Using a paddle shifter in "Sequential" puts the transmission into full manual mode, where you'll have complete control in instances such as high-performance or hilly driving. For better climbing or increased downhill engine braking, Grade Logic Control instructs the transmission to hold a lower gear when encountering a steep uphill or downhill grade.

There are two different throttle profiles available in the MDX: (1) when the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) is in the Normal or Comfort setting, the transmission is in "D" (Drive) the drive-by-wire system uses the normal profile; (2) when the Sport mode is selected, the system switches to a more aggressive throttle map to enhance responsiveness. There are two different Active Sound Control profiles available in the MDX. When the Integrated Dynamics System is in the Normal or Comfort setting, the ASC is tuned for maximum interior quietness. When Sport mode is selected, the ASC allows a more aggressive interior engine sound.

Personally, I drive with the Dynamic Mode in Sports and gear in Drive. When I need extra horsepower I switch the gear button to S.
My wife prefers to drive using the Normal Dynamic Mode and Drive gear. Its quiter and a much softer drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
D/S means, Drive / Sequential mode

Automatic Modes
The MDX transmission can be operated in two different fully automatic modes that are controlled by the D/S selector button. In Drive (D) mode, the transmission combines fuel efficiency with smooth operation and responsive power when needed. In S mode, more aggressive shift mapping that puts the emphasis on performance-oriented driving, with higher engine rpm for greater acceleration and response.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I tried with all the combinations yesterday:

1) S + Sports

This gives the most aggressive acceleration. It is, however, too aggressive for daily and stop/go traffic. I would suggest to use this mode very carefully and practice more. I got an "out of control" feeling in this mode.

2) S + Normal

The acceleration is good but the throttle response is not so aggressive as #1. While #1 feels it keeps wanting to move, this one can lose momentum pretty quickly due to engine braking.

3) D + Sports

The much quicker throttle response is obvious. Acceleration doesn't feel as powerful as #2 and it shifts as other times in D mode. It can feel jerky from stop to go

Fuel consumption is also noticeably higher in all above modes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are two different throttle profiles available in the MDX: (1) when the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) is in the Normal or Comfort setting, the transmission is in "D" (Drive) the drive-by-wire system uses the normal profile; (2) when the Sport mode is selected, the system switches to a more aggressive throttle map to enhance responsiveness. There are two different Active Sound Control profiles available in the MDX. When the Integrated Dynamics System is in the Normal or Comfort setting, the ASC is tuned for maximum interior quietness. When Sport mode is selected, the ASC allows a more aggressive interior engine sound.
In my '15 model, the "Sport" mode also changes the programming in the electric power steering system. I don't know if Acura changed this in the '17 model, but I can't imagine that they have. The steering has a bit more weight to it when compared to the Normal and Comfort modes, especially at higher speeds. My wife likes the lighter steering effort in Comfort mode, while I prefer Sport for a tad more feel. I believe that the transmission shifts a bit more quickly and jerkier in Sport mode than in Normal/Comfort mode, though I haven't closely compared them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
In my '15 model, the "Sport" mode also changes the programming in the electric power steering system. I don't know if Acura changed this in the '17 model, but I can't imagine that they have. The steering has a bit more weight to it when compared to the Normal and Comfort modes, especially at higher speeds. My wife likes the lighter steering effort in Comfort mode, while I prefer Sport for a tad more feel. I believe that the transmission shifts a bit more quickly and jerkier in Sport mode than in Normal/Comfort mode, though I haven't closely compared them.
Yes, it is the same in the '17

1 - 12 of 12 Posts