Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, used/CPO MDX shopper here. I'm really impressed with the reviews I've seen on the MDX Sport Hybrid and it's the one I'm leaning towards. But I wanted to ask Sport Hybrid owners if they've had a reliable experience from their MDX so far, or if it has ben problematic. I know no car is 100% problem free, but it would be nice to drive something reliable.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I have a 19 MDX Adv with 24,700 miles I purchased new in March of 2019. I have a lifetime mpg of 24.3 using my smartphone app RoadTrip (the gals divided my mileage method). I'm happy with that because my 11 MDX was high teens or low 20s at 75-80 mph on the hwy and sometimes low to mid teens in the city. It has been a very reliable vehicle and fun to drive and I keep it in Sport IDS mode. I've put around 12,000 miles of roadtrips to the Grand Canyon (north/south rims), Sedona, San Antonio, South Padre Island, and Corpus Christi. Very comfy hwy cruiser and you get the benefit of even better city mpgs when you reach your destination (the hybrid get better mpgs the worse the rush hour or stop/go traffic).

The issue I've had were:

• 1/2 of the alignment points were in the yellow or red off the transport from the factory. Fixed with Firestone visit.
  • upgraded to 20" black Berlina rims; but, had to get them re-balanced at Discount Tires because Acura didn't do it right (did road force balance).
  • had a rattle in both driver's and passenger's window. Fixed with silicone grease in window felt tracks. Hasn't returned in +2 years
  • did the 7DCT TSB 20-039. Didn't notice any issues before TSB and no improvement or problems after TSB.
  • paint is very thin on hood. I had two rock strikes down to the gray primer the first few weeks driving on the hwy in the city (65 mph speed limit). Touch up paint and adding PPF fixed this issue.

I also added a few mods like OEM side steps, OEM hitch+harness, full size spare and tools, and OEM cross bars. You might need to get the OEM accessories sooner compared to later because they will be very hard to find in a few years.

The maintenance schedule on the hybrid is the same as the sh-awd MDX. Just take note the hybrid does have differences like:
  • 4.5 qts of motor oil (3.5L takes 5.7 qts of motor oil)
  • 7DCT and rear twin motor unit take the same type of fluid (3.5L takes different fluids for 9AT, 6AT, transfer case, and mechanical sh-awd rear diff)
  • no transfer case on hybrid, no serpentine belt, and no belt driven water pump and A/C system
  • two cooling systems for engine and DC inverter that take the same type of coolant and 100k schedule
  • larger front brakes that are non-machinable
  • no pesky Auto Stop/Start system, just EV to 3.0L transition

I was thinking Acura would provide a +22 MDX hybrid or +22 plug-in hybrid version. So glad I got the 19 MDX hybrid now because it looks like we might have to wait until +2028 for an EV, hybrid, or plug-in hybrid MDX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 19 MDX Adv with 24,700 miles I purchased new in March of 2019. I have a lifetime mpg of 24.3 using my smartphone app RoadTrip (the gals divided my mileage method). I'm happy with that because my 11 MDX was high teens or low 20s at 75-80 mph on the hwy and sometimes low to mid teens in the city. It has been a very reliable vehicle and fun to drive and I keep it in Sport IDS mode. I've put around 12,000 miles of roadtrips to the Grand Canyon (north/south rims), Sedona, San Antonio, South Padre Island, and Corpus Christi. Very comfy hwy cruiser and you get the benefit of even better city mpgs when you reach your destination (the hybrid get better mpgs the worse the rush hour or stop/go traffic).

The issue I've had were:

• 1/2 of the alignment points were in the yellow or red off the transport from the factory. Fixed with Firestone visit.
  • upgraded to 20" black Berlina rims; but, had to get them re-balanced at Discount Tires because Acura didn't do it right (did road force balance).
  • had a rattle in both driver's and passenger's window. Fixed with silicone grease in window felt tracks. Hasn't returned in +2 years
  • did the 7DCT TSB 20-039. Didn't notice any issues before TSB and no improvement or problems after TSB.
  • paint is very thin on hood. I had two rock strikes down to the gray primer the first few weeks driving on the hwy in the city (65 mph speed limit). Touch up paint and adding PPF fixed this issue.

I also added a few mods like OEM side steps, OEM hitch+harness, full size spare and tools, and OEM cross bars. You might need to get the OEM accessories sooner compared to later because they will be very hard to find in a few years.

The maintenance schedule on the hybrid is the same as the sh-awd MDX. Just take note the hybrid does have differences like:
  • 4.5 qts of motor oil (3.5L takes 5.7 qts of motor oil)
  • 7DCT and rear twin motor unit take the same type of fluid (3.5L takes different fluids for 9AT, 6AT, transfer case, and mechanical sh-awd rear diff)
  • no transfer case on hybrid, no serpentine belt, and no belt driven water pump and A/C system
  • two cooling systems for engine and DC inverter that take the same type of coolant and 100k schedule
  • larger front brakes that are non-machinable
  • no pesky Auto Stop/Start system, just EV to 3.0L transition

I was thinking Acura would provide a +22 MDX hybrid or +22 plug-in hybrid version. So glad I got the 19 MDX hybrid now because it looks like we might have to wait until +2028 for an EV, hybrid, or plug-in hybrid MDX.
Thank you! That is very helpful information. You seem to be a fan of your Sport Hybrid.

One question: What kid of service do the 7DCT and rear TMU require? How often?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I have both a CPO 18 RLX hybrid (17,000 miles) and 19 MDX hybrid. Seems the maintenance interval for the hybrid and sh-awd 3.5L MDX are the same for me at this point. So far it has been:

RLX hybrid (already had the A1 service at time of purchase with 7200 miles):
  • B16 service at 15k: oil change and Rear twin motor unit (TMU) fluid change with DW-1 fluid
  • engine and cabin air filters
  • new wipers
  • 7DCT TSB
  • rotation/balance with every oil change at Discount Tire (lifetime road hazard w/ rotation/balance for around $35 per tire)

MDX hybrid:
  • A1 service at 9K
  • B16 Service at 17,800 miles (same as RLX)
  • engine and cabin air filter
  • new wipers
  • 7DCT TSB
  • rotation/balance with every oil change at Discount Tire (lifetime road hazard w/ rotation/balance for around $35 per tire)
  • added Firestone lifetime alignment

Other members with older RLX hybrids recommend changing the RLX/MDX 7DCT (same DW-1 fluid as TMU) every 30,000 miles w/ or w/o M.I.D. notification. That will probably run around $280-$350 depending on dealership and if you bring your own DW-1. The overall maint cost for the hybrid might be lower compared to the 3.5L MDX because the hybrid's non-machinable rotors, regen braking extending brake pad life, 3.0L engine using less engine oil, no serpentine belt, and $$$ savings with improved mpgs will pay off sooner compared to other hybrid brands.

The big downsides with the hybrids are:
  • no towing. You can still add hitch+harness for bikes or hitch mount cargo carrier. Same roof weight limit of 165 lbs as the 3.5L MDX for a roof cargo box.
  • no spare. full size spare does fit under the MDX if you buy the hoist and empty tire tool kit holder has cut outs for the tools in the hatch if you buy them
  • little to no EV mode in freezing temps. I still get 20-22 mpg on the coldest days at/below freezing
  • headwind can really suck down mpgs. More so for the hybrid because it has a 257 hp 3.0L V-6 trying to push a +4500lbs SUV at +75 mph with a +20 mph headwind.
  • probably the same or a little less mpg as the 3.5L if you do a lot hwy driving

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
I have my Hybrid new since August 2019. Very happy with its performance.
  • MPG: (Actual Calculation)
    • Lifetime: 27.1
    • Worst: 19.97 (Car was at dealer to trouble a weird 1 sec buzz noise when accelerate slowly)
    • Best: 29.5
  • A1 service completed at 8800 miles
  • 7DCT Emission Software Update at 9K (Sept 2020)
  • Fuel Pump recalled at 14K (May 2021)
  • A weird 1 sec quick buzz noise when accelerated slowly during my last trip (June 2021), dealer diagnosed with Tech Line and performed transmission fluid drain and fill, so far so good after 700 miles of driving
  • B16 reminder just came up (will perform oil/filter and rear differential fluid change after return from trip. Milage will reach around 18K miles)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I don't have the hybrid but I monitor this forum a fair bit and haven't seen many complaints about reliability of the hybrid powertrain. Most people who have the hybrid post fairly glowing reviews of it here.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Hi all, used/CPO MDX shopper here. I'm really impressed with the reviews I've seen on the MDX Sport Hybrid and it's the one I'm leaning towards. But I wanted to ask Sport Hybrid owners if they've had a reliable experience from their MDX so far, or if it has ben problematic. I know no car is 100% problem free, but it would be nice to drive something reliable.
  • probably the same or a little less mpg as the 3.5L if you do a lot hwy driving
We had a 2014 and now have a 17 sp hybrid. Even in mostly hwy driving. We seem to get better range. Eventually you slow down. When you do, it shuts the engine down to coast. My wife used to do a 300 mile round trip. We don’t push the miles to empty thing. With the 14 she stopped for gas. With the 17, she no longer felt the need to stop.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
We had a 2014 and now have a 17 sp hybrid. Even in mostly hwy driving. We seem to get better range. Eventually you slow down. When you do, it shuts the engine down to coast. My wife used to do a 300 mile round trip. We don’t push the miles to empty thing. With the 14 she stopped for gas. With the 17, she no longer felt the need to stop.
Also, 37,000 miles, no problems.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought my hybrid MDX 2019 September.
It has worked great without any issues.
One small issue - Window panels (black outside) were peeling off, dealer replaced them no charge.
One recall - fuel pump, never noticed a problem.
I had the oil change service done at dealership around 12 month mark.

Only 6100 miles but no issues in almost 2 years of ownership.
I would say it's one of the most reliable MDX model.
PS: People have complained in this forum about panel alignments etc. I didn't see any on my hybrid.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2019 hybrid with 20,000 miles. I'm averaging 26.1mpg. It's only been in the dealer for routine maintenance, along with one recall.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
not many on the used car scene. I've been looking
I had to travel from ABQ, NM, to Sacramento CA, to purchase my 18 CPO RLX hybrid back in the fall of 2019. Used inventory is next to nil now. You probably need to have cash on hand to purchase a hybrid when they come off lease or traded in.

Reactions: Drunlutiup

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Adv has been one of the best cars I've owned. Lifetime mpg (from trip B) is 26.2. It has it all, economy, luxury, performance, handling and trouble free. I would buy another if/when they make it again.

·
Registered
465 Posts
only had ours for 18 months, and only 1 long trip but it has been as troublefree and flawless as I could imagine. Finally a car that is a blast to drive, can carry 4 adults in ultimate comfort, and gets 24+ mpg no matter where or how you drive it. (well unless it is in sport+ mode for a full tank). Yes, it did go in for a recall for SW fix to the DCT, speaking of which, the best "automatic" I've ever driven. (well actually it is a automatically shifted manual)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was told by a sales lady that the MDX hybrid is no longer available; is this true? I have a 2015 Adv entertainment MDX which I love except for mileage and it has to use premium gas (ouch!). Our other car is a 2021 Mustang Mach E which is a BEV which so far I love too. Mileage on it is 99+ MPG but it really charges on my 240 volt charger in the garage. MDX is for long trips and Mach E is our daily drive around home (only 210 mile range with my standard battery).

·
Registered
465 Posts
well sort of true. Not yet on the 4th gen MDX. so either used or if there is by chance a 2021 still sitting on a dealer lot. IMHO extremely unlikely, So if your looking for one start looking at used ones. They show up occasionally.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
The MDX hybrid run was 17-20 models only (RLX hybrid was 14-20). Acura, as of now, hasn't made an commitment to make an RLX or MDX hybrid in the near future. The only new Acura hybrid you can purchase now is the NSX hybrid at +$160,000. You have to look coast-to-coast for trade-ins or MDX hybrids coming off a lease.

Acura is working with GM on new battery packs. The battery packs will be similar to the ones going into the eHummer due out soon. We don't know if Acura/Honda will make an BEV, plug-in, or hybrid vehicle with the new battery packs. It could be an all new model or modified MDX.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was told by a sales lady that the MDX hybrid is no longer available; is this true? I have a 2015 Adv entertainment MDX which I love except for mileage and it has to use premium gas (ouch!). Our other car is a 2021 Mustang Mach E which is a BEV which so far I love too. Mileage on it is 99+ MPG but it really charges on my 240 volt charger in the garage. MDX is for long trips and Mach E is our daily drive around home (only 210 mile range with my standard battery).
Premium fuel is not required for the 2015 MDX. Save yourself some money and use regular!

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hybrid Advance - Lunar Silver Metallic
124 Posts
A local search 100miles around my area (NEPa, so includes philly and nyc) results in around 12 models using autotrader. A few 2017 with moderate miles (45-50k) for mid $30s, and a few newer “used” ones for around $40k and up.

That’s how I found mine…had just come off lease and I drove 2 1/2 hours to Delaware to look at it. Pristine condition, early lease return because the owner wanted the new ‘22 MDX. There were a couple other models I found around NJ and NY that we’re ok deals but you can tell from the pics they had cosmetic issues (a lot of curb rash, scrapes, dings, etc).

They’re out there and should still be trickling in on lease returns, but drying up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2018 Hybrid (Tech). Got it, in part, to avoid all of the 9-10 speed transmission nonsense of the non-hybrid MDXs and it has shifted as smooth as butter. 36 months ownership with zero issues. The extra horsepower and additional controll of the electric motors in handling turns have been wonderful bonuses. Because of the pandemic, being retired and hunkering down, I just passed 14,000 on the odometer. If you can find one, don't hesitate for a second - it is a superb vehicle. Having Apple Car Play (or Android Auto) makes it that much better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts