Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the wife's car in the shop to replace the timing belt and had to wait for parts so I figured I'd try to fix the very slight shimmy while I had it on the lift. I went to turn the rotors to discover that all of them were under spec and should be replaced so I did that. I also discoved a hole in one of the piston seals on both sides so I got a couple rebuild kits and did that. I re-used the pads that had plenty of wear in them and bled the brakes about 4 times now and still get a spongy - almost to the floor - brake feel. I have new fluid coming out of the bleeders and NO freaking air bubbles but the pedal is terrible feeling. Car stops and holds on a downhill slope but with considerable further travel.

Any ideas as to what to check next? Cleaned everything up real good with brake cleaner and checked for leaks over and over. All is dry as a bone. I did have the calipers off for the better part of the day. Could be that air got in the master cylinder? There was still plenty of fluid in it when I started bleeding the first time.

Timing belt went fine btw :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
There is Air in the system, Guaranteed. Unless your master cyl O-Ring failed which is unlikely unless you damaged it by pushing too far into the brake pedal when bleeding (Pedal must never reach the floor with the bleeder open).
How was your air bleed procedure? Honda & Acuras are to be bleed by a counter clock wise rotation (FL, RL, RR, FR).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed that procedure.

I saw a video on youtube talking about locking up brakes to activate ABS to get rid of spongy feel. Claims it works with Hondas and Acuras. I'll give it a try in a few. It sould work on dirt roads too, correct?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I sincerely doubt it will get rid of the spongy feel..
Any air trapped in the ABS Pump wont bleed upstream into the Master Cyl it should be removed by the bleed procedure itself...
I think you got air in the system in general as in the Lines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didn't work. I couldn't activate the ABS on blacktop but did get it to kick on several times down the driveway. It initially felt better but no doubt only due tot he "pumping" by the ABS.
I'll try to bleed the hell out of them again this weekend I hope. I also have quite a nasty shimmy now that I replaced all 4 rotors with new ones from NAPA. I had to turn all 4 of them on the lathe before installing them because they were out of round but now I'm thinking they must not have been centered on the lathe.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If I had to guess, it's air in your brake line based on what you describe, especially since you rebuilt the caliper where it does take up lot of air. I actually went through two 32 oz Valvoline brake fluid bottle just to make sure all the air was out when I also rebuilt the caliper. Usually one 32oz bottle is more than enough if you're doing a standard brake fluid flush. I also had to do the panic stop per Eric the Car Guy (my idol) on youtube that you're referencing to even after the two bottle flush as it was still squishy and it did solve the problem for me.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts